3 days a week Versus 4

Obviously 1 day! What I really want to know is how much better is running 4 times a week rather than 3? I can manage 3 runs a week but due to hectic schedule 4 is more difficult. Has anyone got any 3 day a week 10k schedules at all? Sorry if this has been asked before!
Steve

Comments

• Steve

I would say that three days a week is probably enough to get reasonably good at 10k but I would suggest you make the most of the sessions by planning:

1. Long run.
    2. Short intervals session.
    3. Other specific session e.g. fartlek, hills etc.

For a 10k training your long run would be ideally 6-8 and maybe up to 10 miles. The shorter runs would include 4-5 miles in total of running.

If you could include a 4th day every so often then make it a steady 4-5 miles but overall I wouldn't have thought you would have a material benefit.
  • Thanks for the advice Martin which seems sound. I expected that one of the sessions should be a long run and one should be intervals but thought that ideally the 3rd session should be a 3-4 mile 'tempo' run? You seem to indicate that 2 interval type runs would be more beneficial?
  • Yes of course my e.g. should have included tempo!

However, I would caveat by saying that even on three runs a week, to do two hard sessions might be too stressful initially so I would start with one "hard" session and keep your second weekly session as a steady mid-distance run. Add the second hard session once you are comfortable with the first.
  • Great I will try this. Thanks Martin.