Tadley Runners Xmas XC 5.3

I enjoyed the inaugural 10 mile road race so much today that I've entered the XC on line. On the evidence of today's race I can't wait.

Comments

• The last time I did this race was about 2001/2.

It's a good race Liam but if it has been raining much in the days beforehand be prepared for some mud!!

I'm looking forward to this one again.

Andyp
  • Excellent stuff. I think that I heard someone say that there were several stream crossings in the first mile or so - now that's what I call good old fashioned cross country like we did at school in the dark ages. I'd much sooner have mud, water, hills and the like rather than a sprint round a couple of football pitches or a horse race track as seems to be currently the vogue for the elite.
  • Agreed.

This race definitely fits the bill. One year there were as least 3 stream crossings, and a very boggy field where the mud stuck to your shoes and made them heavy.

The first year I ran my wife nearly didn't let me get in the car for the trip home!! I was well covered in mud.
  • I'm in. Entered online and had my acknowledgement from Tim.

Mud pack here I come..........
  • Hi andyp. Been away running the Abingdon Marathon so I missed your latest post. Good to hear you are in too. See you in a swamp somewhere.
  • Hmm. To do or not to do?

I did this 2 years ago - thought I was pretty fit, but this nearly killed me :) That first mile with the run across the field and then that gradual uphill to the woods.....oooooo.

• Well played Liam.

You'll be looking to breeze this one then ;-)

Hope your marathon went well.
  • Cheers 3:15, which was what I was aiming for. Pretty impressed with my intuitive pace judgement as my watch died on it's ar$e at 12 miles. Complete side issue but I do RECOMMEND Abingdon to anyone. I've never run it before, but I will again for sure. Reading tallbird's post I'd better get back to some endurance training pretty quickly though. I'm keenly anticipating this one. Have to say the Tadley 10 has reignited my rather lapsed enthusiasm for racing. Thank you to all there.
  • Tallbird, I think you also get soup as well at the end, that may help you decided.
  • Hello I am kiwi who has just arrived and am keen to do this run just wondering how I get there? Can I take public transport I am currently living in putney please email me.

Thanks
    Lachlan
  • Lachlan, I don't think it is possibly due to the timing.
    As you would need to get a train for London to Basingstoke and then a bus from Basingstoke to Tadley, which I am not sure what the connections would be like at that time of day on a Sunday.
  • Just started running and done a couple of road races including the Epsom 10 this last sunday. Need some advice please -

The race is XC I assume cross-country, what type of footwear is most appropriate? I'm looking to get some alternative shoes with some grip, and the guy from Sweatshop was trying to convince me to buy these lightweight shoes with spikes (looked more like 100 meter running shoes. If there are any hard paths/tarmac I guess this could be rather painful! Any suggestions? anyone tell me what the course is like?

Thanks in advance.
  • PFC, it is easier than the Epsom 10 which I also did. XC is Cross Country.
    I think the start and finish 200m is on a harder surface, the rest would depend on how much rain there is in the week before.
    It also depends on how much cross country running you are planning to do. I do up to 5 XCs a year and just use an older pair of running shoes, only a few times it would help to have cross country shoes but I am in the middle of the race.
  • Wasn't planning on doing XC's but just joined Basingstoke & Mid-Hants Athletics and this Tadley race is the 1st in their internal championship! So far I only have 1 pair of running shoes...lost their nice white look now !! Thought may be worth investing in a off raod apir next ..then another nice new white road pair for xmas. Just don;t want to turn up at the race in something unsuitable :D
  • I intend to use a pair of Addidas Swoops which have a " bladed " style sole. I use them on XC and adventure races ( Lowe Alpine KIMM etc ). They give great grip in the mud and on wet rock but have enough cushioning for short sections of road or paths. Again, speaking personally I find that spikes are too low in the heel and cause me endless achilles grief. The main shoe companies all do off road varients and scores of people swear by Walshes, all worth looking at if you envisage that XC or off road will form a significant section of your running. I've also found that no matter how well you cherish them the nice white ones never stay white for long.
  • PFC For sure - Welcome to BMH AC !!!
    I've ran the Tadley XC quite a few times and more often than not - it is muddy. With all the rain were having at the moment I would suggest wearing something with a bit of tread, a bit too slippy for normal road shoes. Once you have jumped over the streams, ran over muddy fields you have a little sting in the tail with a near vertical climb - its only a short climb, but you need crampons to climb it.
    Hopefully see you on the day, I always look forward to the soup that is supplied at the finish.
    Rich
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Be there again for the 5th or 6th time as this is fairly local to me.
    Agree it can get a little tricky underfoot but usually survive with trail shoes.
    Soup always looked forward to as well as the hot showers.
    Be entering on the day, trying to coax a couple of mates into running it...
  • Is this a 'clubby' event or is it open to plodders that like to get wet and muddy?

What sort of time will the slower runners be looking for here?

Did The Sodbury Slog a few weeks ago and fancy another XC - 5.3 miles sounds a nice distance.
  • This event is open to anybody. Last years times varied from 33 minutes to 60 minutes.
  • Bugger - 33 to 60 minutes! That sounds a bit quick for me... please don't drink all the soup before I get there!

Dustin - you mentioned showers - do you know if they will be available for all after the race?

I have a feeling we will all be covered and that I might need to clean up, otherwise the wife might make me run back to Basingtsoke.
  • Sorry - forgot to ask....

I have a Nike Triax CV10 with a semi waterproof foot pod... will we be splashing through some water... or wading throuigh streams? The latter might gone my pod a few leakage problems!!!

Can anyone advise?

Cheers.
  • I would advise against it as there are some water/stream but going through mud and and some of the woodland area it could also get knocked off.
  • Hi all. Anyone know whether the race numbers are being sent out by post, or do we collect them on the day?
  • It depends on how you entered and when, I will find out more info.
  • Many thanks. I entered on line on the 15th October and received an e mail acknowledgement. I don't mind having to collect the number, what I REALLY don't want is to miss the race.
  • Thanks Tractor Boy - I shall leave it at home then. As this is my first xc since school some 18 years ago, I don't think pace will my main concern! If I am not the last to finish, I shall be happy!
  • I signed up last week and received an e-mail that asked me to collect my number on the day.

• Same here - It doesn't mention where to collect them from though????
  • All postal entries so far have been mailed out, the last batch went out in the post box on Saturday morning. On line entries collect their number on the day and should have a notification be email of this together with race information and directions.

Any entry questions you can ask on the day and they should be able to sort any issues out.
  • Many thanks. Im looking forward to this very much.