healing with reiki

Comments

• I have had countless experiences with clients where I have identified a health or physical problem by laying on my hands that they have not notified me of

I personally don't want anything from you, though I apreciate teh offer.

However you have made a pretty strong claim there. This is a claim that could - literally - transfigure diagnostic medice as we know it.

Now I know a lot of people in medicine and academia and I am pretty certain that we could - with very little difficulty - organise a proper study that could be written up and published in a peer reviewed journal. My understanding is that Reiki is a fairly new phenomenon (invented by a single man in 1915) rather than an ancient healing art so I can see how this sort of opportunity may not have been available until recently. But if this is truly your calling then don't you owe it to yourself to publicise this gift widely and get as many people treated as possible?
  • Actually we can conduct our own small scale experiment.

I know of at least one serious injury to Corinthian that involved hospitalisation. I was hospitalised as a child and had a serious operation. From my understanding both my operation and Corinthians old injury should be "visible" to a skilled and talented Reiki practitioner.

Now my understanding is also that Reiki can work remotley.

If you - or indeed anyone with the ability to heal remotley - can correctly identify the reason I needed an operation (you don't even have to be that precise) or Corinthians injury then I will believe. I'll even e-mail details to a third party (I recomend a member of RW staff) so that I can't lie.

Well, are you up for it?
  • Hmm. I am not a believer in Reiki myself, as such,
    but there do seem to be a lot of fallacious arguments
    getting put forward by the "anti" camp:

lumping things in together, like bringing homeopathy into a thread on Reiki
    as if it were the case that if one complementary treatment doesn't work
    then that proves none of them do. Fallacy.

ad hominem attacks, eg referring to the person who invented it

assuming that if the (historical) explanation of HOW it works is wrong
    then it can't work....
    but many accepted medical treatments originally
    had quite fanciful explanations
    (humours anyone?).
    It's a fallacy to think that just because it carries some baggage as to HOW it works
    then that affects whether it DOES work.

Charlatanry: there certainly is a lot of that
    (and there is in conventional medicine too)
    (anyone else get online pharmacy spam?)
    (or plastic surgery adverts?)
    but despicable as it is,
    there is no logical connection between
    that and whether it works or not, is there?
  • So let's have a bit more scientific rigour
    from the "anti" camp please...

And the biggest confusion is over the placebo effect.
    Placebos work.
    Otherwise we wouldn't need double blind trials.

If a pill has "only" placebo effect, that shows that
    it works only by suggestion, not pharmacologically,
    so chemically speaking it's a failure.

If a treatment like hypnosis, however,
    which is INTENDED to work by suggestion,
    uses only the "placebo" effect, that is NOT a failing.

And if a doctor can accidentally cause a significant effect on an outcome
    by suggestion
    how much more can someone cause it
    who knows exactly what words and tone to use?

Many of these CM things work by suggestion (in my opinion)
    and that's not a failing
    it's a strength.
  • Corinthian, aren't you an NLP person?

NLP is very often criticised for being
    non scientific (see eg wikipedia
    or skeptics dictionary).
    There's no documented proof it works.
    You can get thrown out of a university psychology department for just mentioning it.
    And it was founded by one man who was, as
    far as we can tell, a loony and a criminal.

And many proponents of it also make bizarre claims
    eg remote viewing (just like for Reiki).

Despite all that, NLP does actually work
    extremely well.
    So I'm surprised at the position you take
    on this one!
  • Enough from me.
    But, BTW, I did laugh out loud
    at the dismissal of a paper on homeopathy in animals
    because it was done by homeopathic vets
    so "they'd be biased".

So should we dismiss all papers on surgery by surgeons
    on the same basis?
    Or all papers on dentistry by dentists?

I mean, who else exactly is going to do
    a paper on homeopathy in animals?

I don't believe in homeopathy!
    but that argument was, like, laughable!

• mike, id have a go with anything if i thought it would help,the girl who is going to do the reiki treatment ive know her for years. she did run and has had major health problems herself. I suppose she went the "reiki" way when other treatments seem to be not working. her husband who is a good running mate has been on at me for ages to give it a go. he always use to be popping pills for a back complaint which now seems to have gone. Im the one person who is sceptical about anything like this else I would have gone ages ago. maybe more fool me ;0)
  • If Amadeus can organise a trial which could be written up I too would participate as a patient. I have a interesting medical history!
  • Quick question:

How many of you guys who dont believe in reiki etc, believe in the after life/ ghosts/ clairvoyance / mediumship etc.?

I can bet that you dont & if you do, can any of that be scientifically proven?

Just a question.....

• mrs pig, do we all have to climb in the trough for this one???;0(
  • Mike, I didn't bring homeopathy into the discussion, Sezz did, who is one of the believers in reiki, I merely gave some arguments as to why it should be dismissed.

It wasn't a "paper on homeopathy in animals" it was a link to the British Homeopathic Vets....do you think their web site is going to say "oh by the way, there is no proof that this works." Medical and scientific papers are published in peer-reviewed journals - a very different thing.
    You ask the antis for more scientific rigour...how about any scientific rigour from the proponents of this stuff? We repeatedly asked for some clear, concise explanations of some of the terms used, (eg negative and positive energy, how hands on healing can work by email) and are ignored.

You accuse us of putting forward fallacious arguments...I don't think I've seen any[/] arguments from the pro camp, other than "it works, you can't prove it doesn't", which, as I've said, is just plain lazy.

I'm also a bit tired of some of the supporters resorting to insults - implying that there is something wrong (e.g. sad) with those of us who question this stuff.
  • sorry..forgot to stop bolding. not shouting really!
  • I'm not going to post if you're gonna start shouting at me !

Every one is entitled to their viewpoint. Agree that no one should make personal attacks.
    Obviously frustration makes people express themselves vigorously (OR SHOUT)

Now play nicely or I'll send you some bad vibes.
  • And Martin - there's room for a little one in my trough - just don't eat too much -it's ALL mine.
  • Shortstop..no I don't believe in any of those things either (surprise surprise)..nor do I believe in God, faries or UFOs (well, I don't believe they visit us and take people off for experiments...I believe it is likely there is other life in the universe, as the statistics make it so likely).

I'd be interested in the other side of the question..how many people who believe reiki etc work believe in a god?

Anyway, my last word on this: It's easy to prove, and has been, in many many good trials, that the lots of conventional medicines work; the same with the placebo effect; same for accupuncture (for pain relief). If any of these alternative therapies work, why don't they stand up to well designed trials? It comes down to faith..people want to believe they work, so individuals convince themselves that they do. If that makes them feel better, great. Just don't try and justify it with pseudo-science and new-age mumbo jumbo.
  • mrs pig, many tks, I'll shuffle along and u wont know im there. ps do I have to make those piggy noises when i eat those very small portions.????
  • TD,

No i dont believe in God. I think religion is the cause of all wars & troubles.
    I do believe there is something else though. But i havent yet defined exactly what that is.
    I also believe in being the best you can be and in helping others.
    If something makes you happy or you feel healed, then surely thats a good thing regardless of whether its clap trap (wasnt that a book in chorlton & the wheelies??)or scientific fact.
  • Still waiting for Amadeus to take up challenge of RW Reiki research
  • amadeus... I owe myself nothing, I am a single mother bringing up three wonderful people and I work as a holistic therapist, with a second job in a shop to pay the bills. I will help anyone who comes to me for healing or reflexology, sports massage etc. I am not a psychic and I do not perform tricks.

Two Dogs...I did not insult anyone, I said I felt sad, because I do... but if anyone feels insulted by that then I'm sorry.
    As to believing in God, like shortstop I don't follow any particular religion, but I believe in spirituality.

This is the last word from me too...I'm not doing anyone any favours by posting in here and I'm beginning to feel attacked so I think it's best for everyone if I got out of the debate.

Take care
  • I'll respond to you tonight Mike Frog(in detail)... in between meetings now, but it is partially my experience of certain NLP practictioners which leads me to criticise 'alternative' and 'complementary' medicine... particularly the terminology they employ in explaining how things work

Please be assured Distracted, I'm not attacking you as a person or your honesty... I am a little worried with the terminology some exponents use - which at best contradicts the laws of physics; at worst is complete nonsense
  • Ms Pig - alas it's not me who needs to do the organising. There is no show without Punch and not one single Reiki pratitioner (of whom there would seem to be several in this thread) has accepted the farly simple test that IU proposed.

FWIW I didn't attack the founder. The "pro" side drew parralels with the likes of acupunture. Now accupuncture has been around for centuries, I was simply pointing out that Reiki hasn't. I factually stated that it was invented by a single individual in or around 1915. I don't see this as an attack, simply another piece of evidence that individuals can use in the evaluation of the therapy. It is not "an ancient healing art". Likewise it is the "pro" side who have been drawing in other alternative therapies. As far as I am concerned the vast majority are bunkum but some are more credible than others. Again accupuncture is an example. Proving or disproving one or other of those has no bearing on Reiki.

So, to restate, the claims made are:
    - Reiki practitioners can work at a distance
    - Reiki practioners can diagnose undisclosed ailments

I - along with at least one other contributer - am willing to send a potted medical history to an impartial third party and subject myself to a remote Reiki diagnosis. If you can get close to an accurate reading of the history then all of us "antis" will have to eat a very large piece of humble pie and the case for Reiki will be proved.

Now one practitioner - despite strong initial claims on ability - has rejected the challenge, but does anyone have teh confidence in thier therapy to accept it?
  • Distracted - this isn't an attack. It's an (admitidly fairly robust) discussion between adults of differing viewpoints. Please don't feel insulted or attacked.

I am genuinly curious and I'm not looking for psychic tricks, simply a (controlled) example of the sort of thing that Reiki practitioners claim has happened "countless" times.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Reiki and in fact most complementary therapies are NOT diagnostic tools. I couldn't tell if you have something particular wrong with you and any CAM practitioner who diagnoses is not doing their job properly.

However, if, for example, you had an ankle injury, then whilst doing reiki I may feel heat in the area or a tingling sensation in my hands. My aunt has muscular atrophy in her left leg as a result of polio. To touch it, it felt very cold because the muscle was producing no heat, but I couldn't diagnose the cause as polio. When I gave her reiki, that area of her leg began to heat up and she had movement again much to her amazement as she is extremely sceptical about CAM.
  • Sezz I am actually v keen to try Reiki from the point of view of seeing whether it works - I have recent medical history which I suspect you would be able to sense given what you have said.

I'm just about to travel away for a few days but my body is at your disposal!!! if you want to try.
  • This really is my last word - a great site for us sceptics and the believers who are willing to be open-minded and not just say "it works"

www.quackwatch.org/
  • Gosh, what a debate.
    I will refrain from tossing another log on the fire.

After all
    Live and let live
  • It's the perennial debate that will probably never be resolved.

I am a chemist and until 1987 I would never have believed anything if there wasn't evidence and proof.
    I'm just so glad I've been allowed to have experiences to get over that.

I was virtually unable to run more than a few miles without total exhaustion (post viral fatigue)- no GPs could offer anything other than 'rest and relaxation'. After 4 years of no improvement, in desparation, I turned to homeopathy, which gradually helped me thro'.

A long story in between, but kinesiology (mainly for those food intolerances we all develop, but never really know why we feel grotty) and reiki (for bones and muscles) (and who says its £70? My practitioner doesn't charge, but I give a £10 donation), have enabled me to fully recover and trained hard. I could give so many stories of others if you wanted them of healings that cannot be explained by placebo effect of similar.

For those that don't wish to believe - I also truly hope you never have a need for them, but if you do, just allow yourself to (really) open your mind - you may just surprise yourself.

We all have to take personal responsibility for our ailments - we are the cause and we are the only ones who can resolve them - but sometimes we need some help.

(Sorry I've missed all the intervening posts - just back from Chicago - another 3 mins off my PB, after 33 marathons, since I recovered and discovered alternative therapies)
  • my big day tomorrow, 100lengths down the pool at 7. reiki with my friend at 9, I hope she will be gentle as Im a first timer. 12 down to the physio, so what more do I need. here's hoping because I really need some luck to get me back to fitness.;0)
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Good to hear that jd and well done on the PB!

Martin, your friend will be nothing but gentle with reiki.