The best meal

Iam running the nottingham marathon on september 15 . Can other runners tell me the best meal to have the night before......

Comments

• High carbohydrate ie. paste, rice & bread. Avoid lots of meat.
    It might be worth giving it ago this coming weekend before your Sunday run just so you can see how you feel.
    Drink plenty of fluids as well, with you high carbo meal.
    Good luck
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Others may disagree but I had a glass of red wine with my pre-FLM meal as I reckon it helps with the digestion of all that food. I did a PB the next day so it certainly didn't have a negative effect - probably helped me sleep soundly as well.

I'd agree with Big Tim on the fluids, but do ensure that you don't drink so much water with the meal that you feel bloated before finishing it. Easy to do!

On the morning itself, have your breakfast at least 90 minutes before (toast & jam rather than milk/cereal/peanut butter/etc) and then maybe a small banana 15 minutes before if you know your stomach can take it. Obviously lots of isotonic fluid as well. Plain water can just lead to bloating and needing to pee during the run.

have a good 'un!
  • My ideal pre-marathon breakfast is either porridge with honey or banana sandwiches. I have one or the other about 3 hours before the race and a boiled egg. Usually, I'll have another banana an hour later.

The night before; there's not much to beat pasta but I also find rice pud for afters is good to.