Bramley 20/10 - 20 Mile

Thinking of doing the Bramley 20 mile next year. Used to HM's but never raced further. I'm more interested to see if I can do it. Any tips on moving up to a 20 mile race?

Thanks in advance......

Comments

• Hello SpudSpud

Can't give you any definite training plans but you should be OK. You should probably build your long runs up to about 16-17 miles just to make sure you can do the distance. Although I have to say I did a half during my marathon build-up and then did a 20 mile race 4 weeks later and managed to get round OK with no longer runs at all!

So if I can do it, anyone can :-)

I'm definitely thinking of giving this a go next year so maybe see you there!
  • Its a well organised event and I plan to enter.

Good advice from Little Nemo Spud Spud. When you say you used to run 1/2 Marathons does that suggest you have not ran that distance for a long time?
  • If anyone would like to see if they are in the 20/10 2007 the following links will let you know

http://www.hoult.me.uk/bramley/10mile.htm and http://www.hoult.me.uk/bramley/20mile.htm
  • I'll be doing the 20 if my training goes to plan. It'll be my longest running race.

Plan to build slowly to 17 mile long runs. Perhaps a 20 mile training run. All depends how the training goes. My runs during the week are on treadmills to help avoid injury. Long run on the kennet canal at the weekends. I say long, but currently this stands at 6 miles.
  • So we have 2.58 to crack on this ahh

Should be relatively easy

LOL LOL
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thinking of doing this as training for flm, trouble is thanet 20 is next week and I always do that. Will it be too much do you reckon? Any advice welcome.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • hey
    i am looking at this as a warmup to rome mara in march, looks like a good race

• I've done this a couple of times and I'm doing it next year...well organised race and a good warm up for FLM...if a little early for some! ;-)
  • Thanks for the thoughts. I've run a half dozen HM's this past year as well as a couple of Trailplus Adventure races & Hellrunner etc. I'm pretty confident I will be OK but due to fatherhood know I will find it difficult to do the training that I'd really like to do in preparation. So, say that I do no more distance training than I currently do and am normally running 7.45 miles for a HM, what should I be aiming for - 8.15 miles? Thanks and hope to see you there (just registered for the 20 myself).
  • Bit of a late response for Wabo but hopefully it will still be helpful.

I did 2 20 milers a week apart last year when training for my marathon, Thanet and Finchley. It was certainly tough but it is possible. I suppose the thing to remember is that you're aiming to do these as training runs so don't try to race them. I found the up and down bits of Thanet really hard so I'm giving it a miss this year.
  • See you there Ratty, hope you're keeping well matey!
  • Wabo, I did 2 x 20 milers a week apart last year & am planning on doing it again this year (Essex & Bramley). I found it fine & actually felt it was very good training, just make sure you reast after the 1st one & maybe do a gentke run on the Weds/Thursday, dont over do it between the 2 races.
  • Signed up - need to but some new trainers now.

HNY to you all.
  • Does anyone have a route map or a route description? I have just moved to Bramely and would like to practise on the course?
  • I was wondering about the route too. I cycle through Bramley most weekends so wouldn't mind cycling around the route quickly.

Another question - it doesn't look like I'll be doing the 20 miler now as I'm just coming back from a month of injury.

So, 10 miler it is. But will it be possible to run with the 20 milers? Do they start at the same place/time?
  • Cant help with the route as Im not local but ye sthe 20 milers & 10 milers all start at the same time/place
  • I'm planning on doing this one - I will build to 18 miles before it.
  • Woj, what you aiming for this time?

It may be worth mailing the Reading Road Runners for a map. Its basically does a loop north and then west of Bramley on small country roads.
  • just a word on the 20 milers in a row, i am doing the 3 x/ week program which is admittedly more intense than a normal 5 or 6 day/ week prog, but they never have 2 20 milers together. the 16 long runs go
    13_15_17_20_18_20_13_18_20_15_20_15_20_13_8-10_26.2. whenever you drop back, you have to do that distance faster than before so there is never a letup in intensity. i did my second 20 miler so looking forward to 13 on sunday. anyone looking to do this around 2.30 or better?
  • Hi BK

Not sure really as not ran any distance for a long time - will see how I get on at R&T and Wokingham - would like to still get sub 3hrs

How about you, last year wasn't so good?
  • You can see a map of the course at http://www.hoult.me.uk/bramley/CourseMap.jpg If you want to train on the course, be very careful - it's on narrow country lanes, and you do so at your own risk.

If you're still thinking of entering, please don't leave it very long as I expect the race to fill up well before the closing date - 1000+ entries already!
  • Hi Woj,

tried to book Wokingham and found it full so won't be seeing you at that one this year.

Twenty is a long way without much distance, you and I will have to keep ours fingers crossed. I'm slowwww.

The less said about my experience last year the better, not exactly the FLM warm up I had in mind. Even worse, I didn't get anything for my 12 miles.

Thanks for the map Nigel.
  • Mick & Phil look forward to seeing you on the course this year, save a cheer for my young training partner as she will be nervous.
  • I also missed out on Wokingham. So in a fit of *runners panic* signed up for the Meon Valley plod (19.5m) on the same day. So now I'll be doing my first two twenty mile races two weeks apart. I just need to keep telling myself to treat the Meon Valley as a training run! Anybody else doing or done that one before?
  • Meon valley is a toughy, but excellent race. I did 2.20 at Bramley and 2.48 at Meon, so thats how different the courses are. You will need studs for meon, oh and some hill training too heheheheeheheehe
  • Nicko

Yes, i like your race time difference description

People ask me to distinguish Tewkesbury HM, from Great Langdale

i say well, that's easy ...

We can run Tewkesbury , our pb , in 1.43

And Great Langdale HM in 2.47
  • You marshalling again Mr Lisle, I'll look forward to the usual abuse.
  • Hi BK,

I have entered and paid for Wokingham..but now can't do it..If you like, I am happy to speak to organisers and pass my number over if they agree to it?

Drop me a PM or email from my profile.

TW

I'm doing the 10 miler here instead.
  • I'll be doing the 10 miler too. Have been injured for a few weeks. So the 20 miler (which was always a bit of a gamble) is out. I reckon I can blag the 10. I'm up to 45 minutes on the treadmill now. So I'm sure i can get around at a ncie sedate pace.
  • I'm doing the 20 miler as part of my training. Also doing Thanet a week later.