THE BENCH

Comments

• Im out - but not sure how long for, and i already feel down.

From full steam half marathon training to nothing all in one go is going to drive me insane!

Maybe find out more tonight, so fingers crossed anyway image

• Quick update, gave my new spring loaded crutches their first outing on Sunday in my local 10K.They worked a treat, I got round in 1,54.24 which was 20 minutes faster than last year and even overtook a couple of walkers and beat them by three minutes.Hands and shoulders were a bit sore afterwards but OK now.I,ve got the Longford half marathon in August so that will be the real test.

See the surgeon next month so hope to get a date for the new hip.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Jim - you're amazing!! Well done.
    Maybe I should get some springy crutches too!
  • Best "athletic" equipment I,ve bought.
  • Hello everyone on the bench. I'm so fed up as have not been able to run since MARCH !!!! but hey i'm off to see the consultant on Tuesday for a steroid injection (i hope) keep thinking this will cure everything and i will be up and running !!! well ok then, maybe not. Hope you are all ok and enjoying the rest on the bench. I have been spinning 3 times a week and am annoyed at how little calories it burns off compared to running. Must get back to running soon before i put on any more weight.
  • Can I join you on the bench?

I've had my head slightly in the sand about this, but I've got a spot of plantar fasciitis, and haven't been running for a week now, with no signs of improvement yet image I'm gutted, grumpy and downright gloomy - I don;t really know what to do with myself now I can't run, I can't believe how much it has become a part of me!

To compound the problem, I get married in 4 months and I'm meant to be losing a bit of weight, I'm not allowed to put 1lb on! So I have to find some decent cross-training, and soon, or I'm going to be in trouble. Gah.

Anyway - who's here at the moment?
    x
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Hello Lisa and Yorkslass!

What's your injury Lisa? Hope the steroids help. Spinning is good fun I think. Don't think anything quite burns the cals like running unfortunately, but spinning probably comes close if you put in the effort.

YorksLass - a week is nothing. Let the foot settle down completely before starting back slowly. Have you had this before? Do you know what set it all off? Are you doing anything to prevent it coming straight back? Get yourself some crosstraining going that doesn't exacerbate it - swimming is usually good. Some folks have tried aquajogging, but I haven't personally. Spinning/ swimming/ crosstrainer are my injury activities...

I can do a pretty tough hour on the crosstrainer that I'm sure burns the cals of running. 8 mins warm up followed by 2 mins really hard, 2 mins recovery, repeated 10-12 times, then cool down. Watch good TV programme to distract from the pain/ boredom!
    Can do similar session on the bikes.
    Alternatively try alternating 5 mins forward/ 5 mins backward at a reasonable effort - enough to make you reasonably out of breath.

Being somewhat injury prone I'm on and off this wretched bench...
    Managed to do something to my foot back in May 3 weeks before a marathon I was training for....it's still not settled despite barely running at all...so have decided to have 6 weeks completely off running before gradually picking it up again.
    Very frustrating as I'd finally managed to build up to a good level of traing after my last injury when this reared it's ugly head.
    Never mind, been here before!
  • Hi K9!

No idea what set off my PF - maybe just doing some longer runs than I had before? I am a bit flat-footed anyway, so I'm doing loads of arch stretching exercises and wearing arch-supporting inserts in my shoes etc. Also doing a lot of stretching for my calf and achilles (which is very dull!) although I'm not feeling any benefit yet and am getting quite frustrated!

Looks like at least another week of cycling and swimming for me image

• Weird YL but my PF (which has been niggling for a couple of months and is now beginning to get in the way of my training) started after I bought myself a pair of mouldable insoles that have an arch support.  I stopped wearing them when I began to get the niggles but now wondering whether I should have persevered.  At week four of a 16 week multiple mara training plan timing could be better.
  • hip,hip hooray.Saw surgeon yesterday X-ray plus blood tests.See him again next week if everything is ok I,ll go on waiting list for replacement.Progress at last after twenty months of agony.Even better the waiting time for surgery in my area is down from twelve months to twelve weeks.Fingers crossed hope blood results will be ok.
  • That's really good to hear Jim, about time you had some positive progress image
  • blood results were A1 yeterday and consultant offered me replacement in twelve weeks but said the decision was mine as only I new what my quality of life was.After discussing the pros and cons with him I,ve decided to put it off for six months as I would like to lose four and a half stones before the op so as not to put the new joint under too much stress before it beds in.Consultant said that was the decision he would have made if it was him waiting for the op as the longer the time between the infection in the hip and surgery the less it was likely to re-occur.Got to get a bone scan in the in the next few weeks but forgot to ask what that was for, anyone any ideas?
  • Jim

Bone scans usually are used for measuring bone density, I had to have one after my broken back (that seems such a long time ago)

Mine came back as within normal limits (whatever thats meant to mean)

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I think a bone scan can probably also show up areas of active infection, which may be what they are looking for. May show up as increased density due to increased bone turnover. Depends on the type of scan.

Have you had previous scans for them to compare with?

A DEXA bone scan is used to measure bone density.

Hope the 6 months flies by and surgery is successful Jim - you deserve some good luck. 4 and 1/2 stone is no mean weight loss.....how are you going to achieve that (apart from the obvious eat less/ do more philosophy!)?

Hello Silent - how's the back?

....and how's the knee doing Siance?

• Hi K9

Yep the backs doing fine

Trainning for Ironman now

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Silent...which one?? Are you aiming for switzerland by any chance?

How's the training going?
    IM is my ambition too but I'm aiming for 2010 (pre-40th B-day!)

Need to buy a road bike next as way too slow on MTB.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    might do half IM next year as intermediate goal
  • Haven,t had a bone scan before so will have some questions ready when I attend.Hope to have the operation April/May next year.I,m hoping to be able to start cycling after a couple of months but think I,ll leave the running for maybe a year after the op, or sooner if things are going ok.Should be ok with the weight loss so long as I can stay off the crisps and chocolate.

I,ll still have the occasional beer.

• Green EyesGreen Eyes ✭✭✭
    Can I join you on the bench again.  Sprained my ankle in spectacular fashion nearly 3 months ago and still not running and don't when I'll be back to it eitherimage
  • K9

Yep IMCH it is. I turned 40 earlier on in the year, been promising myself I would do something mad and IM seems to fit the bill, dont have a road bike yet either but am pounding away on MTB at the moment, but have had big promotion at work and lots more money so should be able to get decent road bike soon.

Green Eyes

How did you mange to sprain your ankle?

3 months and still no running, have you been to the doctors?

• Green EyesGreen Eyes ✭✭✭

Hey SA

Fell over running.  Fell one way, foot went down a pothole so ended up spraining it on both sides and have damaged ligmaments.  Been having regular physio for a while now.

Can still ride my bike though and go regularly up to box Hill on it.   Alternate between m y MTB and road bike - just depends on how much work I fee like doing image

Good luck with IMCH.  I've put my name down for the Oly but whether or not I get there is another matter at the mo.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

IM is perfect mid-life crisis material Silent! Good news on the promotion.

I only have a MTB too at the moment but will be investigating road bikes next week. Too much choice though - not sure where to begin. My MTB is waaaay to much like hard work though....I am staggeringly slow for the effort required. Hoping I'll be faster on a road bike, otherwise I'll never make the bike cut-offs for IM.

How far are your MTB rides up to at the moment?

Hello Green eyes - that sounds like a really nasty sprain. Hope you are mended enough to run soon.

Hello Jim. I think the occasional beer would be essential and indeed medicinal!

• Hi K9

Up to half way on each part

So bike 90K

Swim 2K

Run 22K

MTB is fitted with road tyres and clippy pedals, makes a lot of difference

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

excellent progress Silent - a year ago I bet you never would have thought you'd be saying that.

I can easily manage the swim and can build up to the run distance when necessary (injuries permitting) but my cycling is pitiful! only just starting out though - did 36.5 miles last weekend which i found a HUGE effort and took forever. Road tyres sound like an idea though...

• ....and how's the knee doing Siance? Knee is fine thanks, K9. Think POSE helped it along with increasing frequency of the lower body weights and reducing excessive ITB stretches.

Hi fellow benchers image

I've been absent lately... work, house-sitting, DIY, and the dreaded dissertation...

that's what I should be doing now image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hello Siance. Nice to see you backimage

What's the dissertation?

Are you back running?

45 mile cycle for me on Sundayimage and a 4 km swim yesterday. One hour gym bike this morning.

• K9

If you can cycle 45 mile now, you can do IM next year easy

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

oooh stopit Silent. I'm very very tempted I can tell you.

However, my 45 miles took me an embarrassing 4 hours 20 mins!! Need to see if I'm faster on a road bike. If it looks like a go-er I'll think about it!

Planning 55 this weekend hopefully, but may try and get the tyres changed tomorrow and see if it helps. Oh and cycle shoes too. I could get to enjoy this. Lots of toys and bits and bobs.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    The swim took 81 mins for 160 lengths though, so that's OK!!