THE BENCH

Comments

• Just watched an online video of a hip resurfacing.GULP!
  • Hi peeps - not been on the bench since I broke my ankle at the beginning of the year......but now I have glandular fever I guess I shall be here for a little while again image

Not up to speed on everyone's injuries etc, not checked this thread for a little while so I apologise in advance!   But hope everyone is making a good recovery image

• Hip done Wednesday,home yesterday pain free for the first time in two years didn,t even need any pain relief after the op.YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • Fantastic news, Jim! So pleased you've got a new hip for Christmas image
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Jim - that's fantastic - so pleased for you (at last!)
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    hello BB - glandular fever desn't sound like much fun - hope you feel better soon.
  • Siance,  K9,  thanks for the good wishes,only drawback for now is I have to self inject with Clexane because of my previous DVT,but it,s only for four weeks so should be easing myself off the bench not long after that.

BB, hope the glandular fever doesn,t drag on for too long.

• Hi everyone, wondered if I could come and hang out here for a while and have a quick moan? Posting on my regular threads is far too depressing at the moment and I just get jealous of everyone!

Have had pain in my tibia since the end of August. It was wrongly diagnosed by 2 different physios as patella tendinitis - because, I guess, I said the pain was just below my knee, and even when they were fiddling with my kneecap and I told them it doesn't hurt there but below the knee (and would point to exact area) they still didn't back down.

So to speed the story up a bit: Between Sept and now I have pulled out of a few races I had entered but stubbornly still did Para's 10 in Sept, Cardiff Half Marathon in Oct and Hellrunner in Nov, and just did no training at all inbetween them (just tons of swimming), hoping that the rest would heal whatever the problem was. However, problem has NOT gone away... mid-Oct after Cardiff Half when it was really bad again went back to GP who was the first person concerned it might be a stress fracture - and since then have had an x-ray, bone scan and ultrasound and currently waiting for an MRI to get some definite answers. Bone scan showed 'stress' and 'abnormalities' but still not sure from that if it's a stress fracture.

So I am twiddling my thumbs, doing some swimming and cycling (supposed to be doing an Ironman in July, gulp!), getting jealous of people running, pulling out of more races I'd entered, getting worried about FLM after *finally* getting my own place (typical) and waiting patentiently for this MRI.

Ho hum. Sorry to moan. I am normally a lot chirpier... just been getting down about this injury lately. It's the first proper one I've had, I've only ever had niggles in the past which go away after a week or so. I just can't believe it still hurts, it's so annoying!

Happy New Year! Let's hope 2009 brings and end to everyone who is injured on this thread.

Thanks for listening....

Tutu

• Moan as much as you like. Hope you get some answers soon.
  • Thanks Jim. Glad to hear your hip op went well image
  • Hi Tutumuch,

Did we see you at Cardiff Half?  Or was it you who said you were too much of a scaridy cat to come over when KK was pacing the 2:15s?

Anyhoo...  having metatarsal pains since last Friday week so 10th day no running and as you scheduled for IMCH... image  Replacement orthotics ordered, metatarsal cushioning pad thingie purchased.  Resting, Voltarol-ing...

ps if you think your knee problems may arise from further down (feet) I know a good sports podiatrist in Cardiff.  Not sure where you live.  image

• Hi Nam

Yes I think I did see you at Cardiff Half, was with my friend Artful Hen who was the one who said she/we were too scared to come say hello!  How silly are we?! Tsk!

Metatarsal pains don't sound much fun, hope the new orthotics help and you aren't waiting too long.  Oh and no I'm actually nowhere near Cardiff (Leeds!) but thanks anyway.. image

• Budge up, I need room on the bench for my Achilles chuffing tendonimage

It's been 12 long, slow, boring weeks of swiming, pilates, slow cycles to and from work and physio sessions.

This is my first time on here and after completing my first triathlon in September planned for a winter full of training  but chuffing Achilles tendon had other plans.....

Apologies if you've all been through this a thousand times but I'm feeling disolutioned and fat...anyone for a muffin???

All advice welcome....

• Almond muffins are the best.

Don,t know anything about  achilles injuries,sorry.

• Ca, what did your physio say caused the problem?
  • CA I did my achillies in August...,,did do a race in september I had already booked without too much problem but am still on the bench and feeling peeved off as I have only been out fro a week or two before

I'm hoping that spring training will be better for having the winter offimage

• Chuffing, i'll take a chocolate muffin please.

Poor you.....

• Seren - thanks what I keep saying, don't they say enforced or unplanned (ie injured!) rest can sometimes be the best for you? We will all come back stronger and fitter and faster than ever before, RIGHT?!

I've got some left over Xmas chocs here if anyone would like one? imageimage (choc brazil nuts, after eights...)

• My physio just says it was caused by over use.he admired my calves and said that because I have such big muscles that my tendon is over stressed! I think he fancies my calves....
    I've been given calf muscle stretching exercises that involve two tennis balls taped together, he will then give them some intense massage which should release some of the pressure and allow for the tendon to ease up and hopefully heal.
    I'll let you know how things progress...
    If I've spelt calf wrong I do mean of the leg variety as oppossed to the four legged variet!
  • I think there's only one spelling!?

Hope the tennis balls work!

• Thanks for that.tennis balls definitely seem to be moving something in my calf so there must be some method to the madness. I'll let you know how the massage goes,I actually feel as though things are moving in the right direction for the first time in months, who knows I might be able to start running again by Feb! I'm off for a celebratory mince pie... Mmmmm
  • Hurrah! I know what you mean... I can't believe I've been out since August and only now are things beginning to happen. Just waiting patiently for an MRI appointment to come through now and trying to resist making phonecalls to chase it up!! I keep telling myself that the odd day or 2 or week or 2 won't make a different but somehow I feel I am getting more frustrated day by day at the moment, aargh!

Will have some celebratory thorntons on your behalf though Chuffing image Yay tennis balls!

• Can I join in here with my injury moan/legit complaint??!image

Have had leg and calve problems now 8 months! think I am going spare! My gp doesn't believe me after nothing showed up on a scan, yet my calve on my right leg still hurts when I run, jump or worse, feels too painful the next day to walk without pain.

Then, as if it couldn't get any worse, I was walking and slipped over on a steep hill, trying to save my right leg, I landed on my left, knee gashing the pavement, I had just felt numb straight afterwards, but the next day, my knee felt really sore- it ws like I had pulled the muscles that run either side of my knee cap. I thought of going to see my GP, but after the last time, I decided not. But after 3 weeks, I got fed up, I went back to my GP who said its "probably just a carteledge tear" whatever that means told me to wait another month and go back if it still hurt. Its been another month, . It still hurts- mainly to walk, but I don't think its even worth me going back to see my doctor. I was supposed to be refered to a physio back in early october for an appointment in around feb (18 weeks later). I have called the hospital twice, they have no letter from the doctor. I have called the doctor twice, who says there was a letter sent out, twice. I don't think I am going to get any help. I am in pain! this isn't fair!

I hate this! I am not an excercise addict- I force myself to work out, I do so to keep my depression at a level I an cope with, my eating disorders in check and to keep myself healthy. So an injury that will not go away is more then unwelcome to put it mildly!

OK, rant over- thanks for listening!

• Jenny!

You poor thing - firstly, welcome to the bench. And moan all you like. Secondly, can you get a new GP?! They sound terrible, both the surgery (for messing up your referrals, I wouldn't stand for that) and your doctor who clearly knows nothing about running injuries and quite frankly sounds like he doesn't care. 

I don't mean to boast or anything but my doctor (who is a runner) knows how important running is to me and bends over backwards for me everytime there is something wrong- he'll ring round and get me seen places that same day if he can, refers me to all sorts of people and basically is amazing and never takes anything I say lightly. So I'm telling you this just to show that good, kind, sympathetic-to-the-value-of-running-in-your-life GPs do exist!! Seriously, you need a new GP or else you will just end up having to spend your life savings on private treatment all the time.

Hope you can find a new one! And I would make a big point of telling your current place the reason why you are leaving them. I feel so mad for you, that's just so bad of them.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you get on. And sorry I can't offer more advice than that.

• Hi Jenny

Welcome to the bench and what a nightmare - 8 months is 8 months too long in my books, it sounds like you have a very unsympathetic, non-understanding doctor!  You need to get this sorted ASAP for your own sanity as much for the health of your knee/s.  I really hope your appointment comes through or you can find a more understanding doctor soon so you can get back on the road to recovery.  Just a thought but if you belong to a local running club they may be able to give you advice or be linked in with a local physio who gives preferential rates???

Let us know how things progress

CA

• Hi TuTu Much

I've just read through your catalogue of attempts to sort your 'under the knee' problem, it sounds like you've been through the mill a bit.  It never ceases to amaze me how over a period of time the amount of things you go through in order to find out what the actual problem is add up - I just hope that your next appointment comes through soon. 

Just a thought having met up with my phisio again, he told me that the over pronation in my feet leads to excessive tightness (i.e. muscles compensating for the over pronation) in my calves which leads to soreness in my knees, tendon problem and ultimately lower back pain.  The reason for this is that my muscles are constantly compensating for the cause which is the over pronation in my feet .  Anyway your knee pain maywell be related to somewhere else in your foot where your muscles are compensating for something that isn't working as it should - not too sure if that makes sense??  From the intense massage that I had on my bad calf the pain in my tendon has already eased (either that or the pain in my calf has now over taken the pain in my tendon) yes I've been left with bruises and a dull ache but I really think that this will work.  Oh, I've also found out that I've been wearing running shoes that are far too tight and what I really need are orthotics in a nuetral running shoe.

I think before I start jumping for joy I need to see how the next 4 weeks progress..chocolate fingers crossed!!

Happy new year.

CAimage

• Yeah, thanks for the comments here!

I should actually thank Phenom- he got me thinking- my GP did say that she didn't think I had an eating dosroder when I went to see her when I was 18, chronicly Bulimic and with a BMI of 13. She reluctantly forwared me to a consultant at the request of my teachers, who did believe I had an eating disorder. Maybe it is a good idea to change! Thanks Phenom, you may not be all the idiot you appear to be!

Spoke to my friend today who works as a nurse, she said it has to be muscular- I had not had time to do as much excercise both yesterday and today (New years eve/day) and this morning, my leg was so painful I could not walk without limping and didn't pass all day. This is not normally so bad, I can normally grit my teeth and bear it- working up 3 hours in the gym when at first I could not stand up straight. Today was a confusion to me until my friend explained that muscles become stiff when not mobilised if they are injured- now I know! I would have thought it would have gotten better, not felt worse. I guess you learn something every day!

Now I know its better to keep on moving I will be looking forward to the gym tomorrow, got alot of makeing up to do and not going these past two days has driven me mental! But will be going back to the GP next week seeing as the hospital has nothing on me after I called them again to ask about a referal date.

• Hi all

Jennie - glad you have made a discovery re: your leg, but do be careful at the gym still, don't go mad! I have to admit I had no idea what tone Phenom's post was in..hmm.

Chuffing - yes you're right, it's crazy how much you have to go through to get a proper answer. I now have a date for my MRI scan - 21st Jan.. so am just counting down the days until that, and then will probably phone my GP every day afterwards until they tell me they've got the results! Just hope I don't have to wait too long...

Happy New Year to all at the bench anyway, let's hope 2009 brings us all some better luck imageimage