Smelly Trainers!

Running trainers got really smelly?
I entered the Great South Run last weekend and it was absolutely peeing it down with rain during the whole run. Got back to the car and the trainers were obviously soaking wet, they have dried out now but they smell disgusting.

These trainers are fairly expensive Brooks trainers, specifically for running in. The only way I can think of getting rid of the smell is to put them in the washing machine but I have heard that I shouldnt do that.

Would it be ok to put them through the wash or does anyone else have any other suggestions on how to get them clean again?

Its not the insides that smell, its the fabric on the outside.

Any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Spray em with freebreeze?

Take em on a muddy run then navigate a stream or two.
  • Fabreeze is pretty good - or i use a special shoe / trainer spray that has antibacterial agents in it. you can get it from Boots.....or any decent chemist
  • I feel quite sad for remembering this, but the other night Kim and Aggie off the telly solved this with some bicarbonate of soda (a lot) sprinked with eucalyptus oil, wrapped in a bit of cotton cloth. Put it in the shoe overnight.
  • Elizbeth, that's not sad. That's exactly what my advice was going to be. Kim and Aggie are fantastic!!!
  • I think I will try the febreeze suggestion first and see what happens. I am doing the Studland Stampede this weekend and that involves running on a beach. (may be able to dip them in the sea).
  • My tactic is to fill my bath with hot water and washing powder and leave them in there all day. This doesn't have the full effect that a washing machine has - which I like as it means the shoes don't get ruined and it doesn't really matter if my trainers aren't spotless afterwards.
  • Wirral Dave, that seems a fantastic suggestion. Depending on the Fabreeze technique I may try that one.
  • Bounce sheets work really well on my OH's stinky basketball shoes !!
  • I bought a pair of Brooks, and after a couple of weeks they smelled like cat p*** ! been in washing machine twice and sprayed with all sorts. I can't wear them anymore...too embarrassing
  • I use baking soda in mine. If they're starting to reek I just sprinkle a teaspoon or so into each shoe after every wear for about a week and they smell like new.
  • Be careful using fabreeze - its very weak hydrochloric acid - would probably do the trainers less harm on a gentle cycle wash.

I'll be trying the baking soda myself - good call!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    When my trainers really whiff, I keep them in the shed.
  • Got some top tips off here... but have to say after scrolling down and seeing Mutley's comment I cant remember the rest! LOL

Kim and Aggie are the best!

So will baking soda do anything to your feet or does it just come out?

I know it's a stupid question but I've got sensitive skin
  • Baking or bicarb soda does the trick. Sprinkle it in, leave in warm place overnight, shake it out and discard. There may be a powder residue inside but it shouldn't affect your feet. (bicarb's sometimes used dissolved in water as a skin softener, so should be foot-friendly)
  • I've got super sensitive skin as well Eglett and I've never had a problem with baking soda. It's the base ingredient of most foot and shoe specific talcum powders so it's very skin friendly.
  • The best solution I've found for smelly trainers is to pop them into a carrier bag, tie it up and stick them in the deep freeze for 48 hours. Next time your trainers smell like an exhumed badger, try it!
  • mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    Don't be scared of getting your shoes soaked - they get wet when your run, after all.

I used to have issues with stinking cycling shoes. Washing them in a bucket with laundry liquid and a bit of tea tree oil, then drying them thoroughly (they must be dried completely) was the solution. Dry them slowly though, stuff with newspaper and on the floor below a radiator. They'll feel stiff at first when you put them back on but will soon get back to the old comfy shape.
  • mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    Don't be scared of getting your shoes soaked - they get wet when your run, after all.

I used to have issues with stinking cycling shoes. Washing them in a bucket with laundry liquid and a bit of tea tree oil, then drying them thoroughly (they must be dried completely) was the solution. Dry them slowly though, stuff with newspaper and on the floor below a radiator. They'll feel stiff at first when you put them back on but will soon get back to the old comfy shape.
  • 23082308 ✭✭✭

Submerge your trainers in a bleach and water solution for a couple of hours to kill the bacteria.

Give them a good careful rinse to wash away any bleach.

Then you're good to go, smell-free.

• 23082308 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Although if you have orthofeet stuff you'll have to check this with the orthofeet guy for help and advice.
  • jtfacejtface ✭✭
    I heard that putting tea bags (unused thanks) in shoes helps to stop them honking!
  • espenhbespenhb ✭✭✭
    Leaving them in a bucket of water with some mild detergent for a few hours, or leaving them outside for a day or two, tends to do the trick for me.
  • Thanks for the tips
    Quite a serious issue, for sure