Options

wheezing and coughing (HELP)

During the last few weeks of running I have found It very hard to breathe, mainly due to heavy wheezing and coughing. I do have Hay fever but of late It has been ok. I have been running mainly in the evening and would like to know If anyone has suffered the same and how I can improve It.

Comments

• Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Marc, there could be a few things causing this; chest infection, asthma (exercise induced maybe), allergy, etc. It may be sensible to go and see your doctor, rather than try and guess what's wrong.

Some of the cures are only available on prescription.
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Agree with Drew. See GP, get it sorted.
  • Options
    Marc

Have you changed something in the last few weeks that may have caused the change i.e. are you running in a different environment? Have you changed the time of day you run? What makes it worse? What makes its better?

It sounds like exercise induced asthma (which I have) but you need a diagnosis first as the cure (inhaler) is only available on prescription.
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me a couple of summers back. One evening, with no warning I was wheezing really badly and had to crawl home. My GP diagnosed exercise induced asthma and gave me a prescription for a ventolin inhaler. Two puffs 10 minutes before a run and off you go! Hope this helps
  • Options
    I too had this problem about 2 years ago, I ended up with a severe chest infection. When I finally visited my doctor I was told that it was asthma. She gave me an inhaler. I use it before training or racing and have been fine ever since, although I do still get a bit tight chested if the pollen count is high, but a quick puff of the inhaler soon shifts it.
    Visit your GP asap
  • Options
    Marc, I agree with the rest. I have had this problem for the last three weeks and on Friday was diagnosed as having asthma, but am unsure yet what is triggering it, could be the weather, allergy (I get hayfever but it's been ok the last few weeks), I had a cold three weeks ago and I also cough and wheeze after sport. I got my inhaler Friday and it's amazing the difference. Don't suffer anymore and go to your GP straight away.