Salomon South Downs Marathon

Comments

• After weeks of dithering, just entered. Roll on Saturday!!!
  • Entry numbers at the moment and they are still trickling in:

Marathon - 405
    Relay - 85
    Fun Run around 90.
  • Great, isn't that roughly 4 times as many running the marathon this year? I thought last year the relay runners far outweighed the marathoners.
  • thats great entry for the marathon - might have to think about having a crack at the full myself next year!

• Planning on hopping on the bus from QEP - should I have ticked a box or something so as to ensure a seat prior to now?
  • It's double alround - there are fewer on the results cos of the usual no shows - but these number should give a good buzz.
  • goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    hmmm I might just finish in the top 405
  • my last few marathons on the road I've done around the 3:30 mark but I know I won't be no where near that on saturday.My whole outlook is different when its off-road,i am not worried about time.
    I shall just be looking to get over the line in an orderly fashion(failing that,to just finish- no matter what.)
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    I just wanna finish it!
  • Hi TT, GB and Hilly Just popped in to wish you good luck for the race and everyone else of course. Sounds like a toughie.
  • goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    hello HW how are you?

dont fancy this one then?? theres still time to enter
  • Hi All,

Until this week my training went well without interruption, and I felt as though I was getting stronger each week but I've been given a cold virus from a sharing work colleague...

Is it possible to recover by the weekend or am I deluding myself?

If I decide to run I have family coming down from Midlands so I'd want to finish.

Does anybody have any personal experience and advice?

Of course I don't want to cause problems for others (family, organisers, fellow participants) - and I could walk the distance but today I feel I couldn't run more than 2 hours without being utterly exhausted..

SR
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Morning SR
    Viruses are tricky things. All the advice is don't run with one, but then everyone's concept of how ill they are is very individual. Why don't you dose up with every possible chemical and natural cure, get some decent rest and see how you are Thursday evening.

It's much cooler here the last couple of days and, IMHO, pefect weather for being on the Downs.

• Hi Limper,

Very good advice...yes, I'll rest and eat well and try and not think about it until Thursday evening.

Weather looks wettish until Friday - what's the chalk like when wet - does it get gloopy/slippy or will it drain nicely given dry weather we've had recently?

SR
  • Hi Sole Runner, I was on the Harting section yesterday looking at the route to take the water station in - it was bone dry underfoot and looks like it will remain well drained even if it rains hard. The chalk can get slippy when wet but much of the ground has grass cover or is clay with flint which is firmer than the chalk.
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Plush trainers for me then !! - although I'm packing trail shoes just in case....

• Just seen a long range weather forecast predicting a 20mph South Westerly wind. Would that then be a general back wind, head wind or cross wind?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Cheers, hunterway. How's things with you - any races planned?
  • Hi barsleyrunner
    The south downs route is westerly, give or take a few detours around the hills.
    As you will be running along the top of most of it there will be little or no shelter from the wind,
    But look on the bright side, how often do the met office get it right?
    Tuck in and push on.
  • SR - dose up on the echinacea. Hope you're feeling fit and ready by the end of the week.

Good luck to all doing this one - sounds as though it should be cooler for you.
  • Is there much to do for a family at the finish point? Enough to entertain a 2 and 5 year old for a few hours?
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    OK - I lied!!!!!!!
    It's sizzling down here and there's a fairly gusty breeze on them there hills.

BR - a southwesterly will be sort of on the front of your left shoulder as you run!!!

Sole - soaked chalk is like a ski slope and I've had some interesting exertions trying to go UP the Downs in the winter, but as Mike says with it being so dry now any rain should run off fairly well.

A confession now - I'm injury plagued. Several things I won't bore you with, but the latest one which is seriously threatening my marathon is a suspected achilles / soleus rupture. I am resting and it's well and truely strapped and I still really want to give it a try on Saturday although not cause the organisers any problems.
    You may recognise me as being the person having a piggy-back on Plodding Hippo. [Don't tell her!!!].
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Moschops - QE park is lovely for family walks, bbq's, biking and has a gift shop and cafe. Take bat n ball, kites etc. Just really nice outdoors sort of place.
  • thanks DD - I have various potions and am trying to boost my immune system - time will tell...and as a wise old teacher of mine once said - "without do there is no try"

cheers limper - ibuprofen will reduce inflammation...else gentle massage and well - I don't know - If you've done the training and put the long miles in you'll be so wanting to run - has the leg (pain) stopped you running? (I thought I'd done something silly to that area a few weeks back but after taking an energy gel I found I could run again..really weird - like my calfs running out of enrgy started to cramp..but cramp is electrolytic not energetic in its nature...anyway - that was very scary...

have you had a diagnosis/prognosis from a physio? can you force yourself to "walk" uphill or something - does that appeal to you?..

..I hope it's a calm, warm but not hot, clear sky to Saturday morning (maybe some high cirrus to take the heat of the sun away) and you can at least get up to the start and see how you go form there...

I called in work and my boss said " Oh, OK -will you be alright for your marathon? ....A guy I walk with sprained his ankle last weekend going over a fence whilst on his phone and now can't do the (some distance walk) this weekend"

Didn't bother to ask if his idiot friend had specifically gone out and spent over 7 hours a week training for the event...

- Oh, yeah, all that is to say that nobody understands just how much effort this takes and how much it means to complete..

..anyway - I'll be at the start in the Diabetes UK top (pink and black) and hope to be at the finish as well!

Hope to see you all there - I'll be with everybody else at the back of the field as even if I'm fighting fit I'm going slow for a long, long way before I have any thoughts of "upping the pace" by which time I feal "maintaining the pace" will be the goal.

cheers all

SR
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Official diagnosis - probable more than possible.
    Not something that can be massaged - or even touched preferably!! Besides it's strapped from foot to knee.
    Reckon I'll be picking up the way markers and turning off the lights behind me if I do take part.
  • then i think you must be cautious - as muscles are amazing things but if you break them they tend not to do what they did before - I know this from experience and wish I didn't.

• Mike
    Great to hear that you're now over 400 for the individual event.

There were about 200 starters last year in the combined individual & relay events which both set off together. Even with that number there were a few delays going along the trails for the first mile or so - will there be any differences this year?

Thanks
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Thanx for the good luck Hunterway, I feel I may well need it! Trying to not do much this week and stay away from folk with the lurgy, staying on echinacea and trying to stay calm about the whole thing. Weather will be what will be, just a case of dealing with it I think but it's not like I'm gonna be at the sharp end of the field anyway so just focusing on the day and enjoying the event :0)
  • Hi Woody,

It hasn't been possible to change the start loop to take out that narrow bit early on without increasing the race distance - to take it out we need to run about a mile further (this takes you past our turn to the next wide trail and then lengthens the top end of the triangle before returning past where we currently come out). Being point to point there's not really anywhere else to adjust it to loose the extra distance and still finish in the only sensible place to finish (otherwise it's the top of Butser Hill!).
  • Mike,

Thanks for the offer of Buster hill but no thanks. Im sure we can form an orderly queue at the beggining. After all theres plenty of room to overtake in the next 25 miles. All I would add to what everyone else has said is if it does stay dry and the wind is 20mph you will need glasses to ward off the dust. Good luck to everyone i can feel those burgers already.