Cardiff Marathon - who cares?

Comments

• Lol Bern:) - Might have needed more that a fivers worth of LS for that one! :)

Morning Funky:) - No news from Barnardos as yet. They are likely to have other queries to answer as well, so we'll give them a little time:)

Good stuff Funky, now you need a run to test it:))
  • Clearly the alcohol scrambled the brain cells last night, for me, it was bed by half eight (I think the jet-lag finally caught up with me!)

12-13M plod this morning, dodging the showers, barking dogs and the usual crazy drivers, I'd forgotten how much fun a longish run is around here.

• got a dodgy chest
    coughing like a fag addict

rugby on

missing lsr
  • well done sam and well done boff, didn't notice the new page thing! Must pay more attention in future!

Im even not drinking much during the rugby today in preparation for tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! Considering the match that is unheard of! About to put running music on my MP3 so off I go!
  • ...and wasn't it a great day (bar the Wales result). For once I even had an appetite after my lsr, so doubly happy!!!

Funky cow, good luck for tomorrow/today, whatever it is you are doing!
  • Rough as a badgers..
    alchohol never helped but I am rough - no way I can hit the streets, feel guilty but that is just the way it is
  • No need to feel guilty Bern
    If you are really as rough as the proverbial badgers...then I would not bother.
  • Bern, if you're that rough you are hitting the streets instead of running on them... you're better off tucked up at home with your feet up and computer by your side - if we can't actually run, it's always nice to talk a good run instead!! ;))

• Bern get better soon! Hot whiskey is the cure for all!

Sam was going my longest run yet, was a bit nervous as it hasn't been going that well recently but had a lovely run today, weather was great, slighty windy but lovely so feeling much better about running again!

Boff, armband was great, nothing like a bit of 80s pop to keep me running
  • Nice to know things are on the up Funky:))
  • still rough - day off work today
  • Wise to take a rest Bern, these things can (annoyingly) take a long time to clear up.
    Frustrating though innit?!

I have posted the petition web address on my clubs website so hopefully a few more signatures today. Hoping I might get Liz Yelling to sign as she is involved with the club - would add a bit of weight to it.

Also must print out a paper copy to nab people when I see them.....
  • go Sweetie

get better soon bern!!!
  • bern, take funky's advice, whiskey usually does the trick. so does rough vodka and a steaming hot curry, an old student way of getting rid of all ills.

perhaps I should try that on my left knee, which seized up for no apparent reason during speed reps at lunchtime. now hobbling around house, trying not to kick things in my frustration

bern, get better soon
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Boffin
    The organisation involved in running a full marathon would be HUGE... and the costs too ! Would it be worth contacting the council events department to see if they would be interested in helping in some way ?
    I'm fairly sure that the Swansea 10K is organised in house as opposed to a local charity or running club.
  • George
    the idea is to put pressure on the main organisation
    as we stand

Runner : Marathon pace : T- time
    Alan W? : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Bern : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Boffin : 9mm : 2:00:00
    Joe Peacock :
    STM : 8-9mm : 1:45:00
    Sue : 11mm : 2:30:00
    Sweetie : 11mm : 2:30:00
    Duck Girl : 10mm : 2:15:00

There are 8 of us at the moment who will independantly run 13 miles of the Taff trail all aiming to arrive in Cardiff at 10.10 to join the main race around the same time Hence "THE CARDIFF ARFNARF"
    What if there are 50 (which I think would be a great achievement) or 100

At a simple level organisation and costs are minimal
    meet at x
    leave in groups at y

we will need someone to take kit to Cardiff
    It would be nice to have a drink stop

any other costs is up to us

it would be "nice" to strike a medal
    it would be "nice" to get a shirt made

I like the rebellion part of it
    - main attraction really as I have my Autumn mara booked in Berlin

also fully in support of Boffins six nations dream
    London
    Paris
    Rome
    Edinburgh
    Dublin

Cardiff - in one year
  • Its all about the rebellion factor!
    Berlin eh, now there is a thought!
  • I think saying "its all about the rebellion factor" is different than saying I like the rebellion bit

Still coughing like a fag addict
    skipped
    Sunday LR
    Tuesday
    defo miss Thursday

hopefully back in game Friday
  • bern-thats a bad one you have there luv

take it easy
    x
  • Bern - in retrospect I think my comment was a bit ill-advised. Its not 'all about the rebellion' factor, it is about making a point to those that be about the feeling re. a FM in Cardiff. That there is an element of 'rebellion' in running an extra 13 miles is something else entirely from running it purely because of the rebellion involved. So I take your point, and I humbly withdraw mine. Hope you are back and running now, take it easy over the weekend though, lots of grim wet weather around (may not be a great one for a run if you are coming off the back of illness)
  • They have announced the Cardiff Half date then - 14th October - so put that in your diaries all you arfnarfers!

Cardiff Marathon Petition

Bern - feeling any better now?

• If my diary went up to the 14th October I would most certainly put it in. However, since its only written by hand, it currently goees until the end of June (the end of the academic year) and no further. Needless to say, this terrible oversight will shortly be corrected!

Are we going to have a separate thread for that, or commit ourselves to this one?
  • That's good news that it's the 14th, it gives 15 days recovery before Dublin ;0)
  • 14th is good for me - opposite reason from Sue. It gives me 14 days to recover from Berlin. 7th would have been pushing those old bones a bit

Out running tonight for an hour, I have been rough and missed 2 LSR and all the midweek stuff

Cold turkeying now
    6 today
    8 Thursday
    6 Friday
    18 Sunday

repeat next week then taper which includes the reading half
  • One small thing.

Has anyone thought of contacting Sir ranlph fines OBE about some celeb support?
    He has run it under number 777 and stroud his running partner run it with 999(grim joke about his heart attack)
  • A seperate thread? I expect barnardos will list the half eventually - sounds a good enough place to hang our hat?

As for this thread, I guess it will continue as long as it serves a purpose...

Cardiff 2008 deserves it's own thread; a permenent home for the petition and associated lobbying. However, Sweetie has a valid point - lets hang fire on pushing the Cardiff petition for the next week as Mick n Phil have a petition going for FLM, and we don't want to create 'petition apathy' amongs the forumites!

Any chance of linking Mick n Phil's petition Sweetie?? - I still haven't found it!

Re the Arfnarf - Bernardos replied yesterday... Jean does point out very clearly that whilst we may run whatever distance we like prior to the Barnardos Half, any such run will not be covered under their insurance etc. Jean also points out that she cannot advertise or encourage runners to participate in the Arfnarf.

However, those points having been noted, Jean did add the following comment, pasted below...

"Can I wish you good luck with your venture and look forward to seeing you at the Cardiff Half Marathon."

...so Barnardos certainly do not oppose the marathon spirit, or the running of the Arfnarf.

Sue, 15 days... easy;)) - how's the foot? (I've been offline for a few days!)
  • yeah, well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if London doesn't finish me off count me in but can I wait until the end of April to totally commit myself??? If I don't run i am more than happy to be bag-lady!