Options

endurancelife Coastal Marathon

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
Entering this as prep for an Ultra.

Looks good, looks hard - how hard though?

Plus I want to do a marathon where I am NOT aiming to get my Holy Grail of 3:30.

Hence the prep for for longer distances (new aims for the new year)

Comments

• Options
    mmmmmmmmm
    Do you have to navigate?
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    PH - no sign of req to navigate on website (through the events link above).

Too late if it is as I have sent form off.......

But it does look hard.
  • Options
    Not wishing to worry you but ..... a friend and I have entered the half. Met up with some guys at the weekend who did it this year they said it is VERY hard, worse than the Grizzly, and they only did the half !!!!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thanks Old Hag, but I want it to be hard but enjoyable (if that can make sense).......

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hippo - have not done this, although local to me. There's no navigation required, (although someone told me they did get lost, can't remember if it was a marshalling error) it's 2 laps on the coastal path. I know lots of peeps that have done this, it's tough due to the terrain but not horrendous.

I don't know how the hefty fee is justified.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Got some info from the organisers yesterday - its nearly full apparantly - so if interested get in sooner rather than later.

There is also 25 mad (i'm included) camping for the weekend as well........

Take care and Happy Christmas
  • Options
    Hi RFJ,

I'm signed up the Coastal Full. I know some people who entered the half last year, and they have gone for the full this time round, so it can't be too bad. It is a tough course apparently, definitely good training for an ultra.

Which one are you doing? I have entered for the same reason. Myself and three other guys are entering the Kalahari Extreme Marathon in October 07.

See you down the coast! It is going to be breezy!

Mike
  • Options
    Is there a cut off
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Mike - Im doing the Crawley 6hr track challange.

Hipps - as far as I know there is not a cut off, check the web site and contact Gary (he has been very efficient in all details etc so far.

Anyone else camping, according to the lastest email ther are 25 of us camping.....

Take care
  • Options
    This looks like a fantastic event. I'm doing it as training for the www.lamm.co.uk

What does anyone reckon on trail shoes or regular marathon trainers? I'm thinking of Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR for the lamm anyway, and I have the awesome Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 on order.

I've only done 4 other normal marathons but my thoughts for this one are similar to RFJ at the top of this forum. Got to keep challenging yourself eh?
  • Options
    oh, tempting, again for ultra training. And I love trails :)

Just a bit worried it's a week after Draycote 35!

It's this or Belvoir XC Marathon / half.

I'll be camping if I do it.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    You know you want to Flanker......
  • Options
    flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    I do, but not sure I'm happy paying that much for a mara, especially as I'll pick up travel and camping costs too.

Will think about it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    flanker - this event is quite local to me but have never done it as I also think it's seriously overpriced for an off road event
  • Options
    oh heck

if it counts for 100 club

but will i be 3 hours behind everyoone else

(having wibbles as its so long since my last mara)
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Go for it Hippo.

Shades, flanker, agree it is quite expensive, but for some strange reason dont really mind paying that for a marathon (providing that it all goes smoothly). The GSR is only 2 pounds cheaper for only 10 miles......

Any cheque has been cashed so Im doing it...... and not going to worry about the time.....

Happy New year.
  • Options
    I will mail the organiser
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    RFJ - agree GSR fee is horrific for a 10 miler but some of the cost will be for policing as it's a road event - probably steep costs for road closures too.

Whereas this marathon is run off road on a public footpath and as far as I know, no police or road closures to pay for. LDWA put on similar events with food for less than a fiver.

It doesn't matter to me anyway as I now longer do off road events but the first year this race was held the organiser did try and justify the fee by saying there was free camping. Sleeping in a field in February does not seem to be a benefit..lol

Hippo - are you doing this then?
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Shades - you put it so politly.......

The camping isnt even free then this year...!

The south downs mara is also expensive I believe, it seems to be a growing issue.

Saying that I plan to do Halstead as well and thats very reasonable indeed, I think in the £15 area and thats on the road.

Anyway, its always going to be a personal decision to pay and race, one reason I have not done GSR for 4 years now.

Hope to see you there then Hippo.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You have to pay to sleep in a field in Feb!!!

You're right it is a growing issue although I think SIS is point to point so there are transport costs involved, Hippo will know, she did SIS.

I want to do Halstead some time but it clashes with another event I'm doing (again). Have heard very good reports of that race.
  • Options
    Im tempted
    but i dont want to be 3 hours behind everyone else

halstead is on my list

SIS mara was good
    i didnt do the transport -i had a lift-but you had to pay for that too
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    £3:50 per per person......

Halstead is excellent, a great friendly race, a undulating but not too hard a course (I actually have my PB there).

The last 3/4 mile includes going up and over a grassed field which is quite strange after 25 miles.....

Thouroughly enjoyed it last year and would reccomend it to anyone.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    RFJ - maybe next year for Halstead then, clashes with Tipton this year (again)
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    All being well I'll be there at Halstead this year. Hopefully for another assult on 3:30. Will be happy with 4:15 - 4:30 at this one though.

And will be nice not to have the pressure of a fast time....

Take care
  • Options
    HaggyHaggy ✭✭✭
    Hi , I did Halstead last year and agree it was excellent . Did Snowdon as well . I have entered coastal marathon this year how does it compare to snowdon .
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Haggy - dont know, never done Snowdon....

Wont be Halstead now either, got told last night thatw as being given a club place for FLM.

Take care
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Haggy - I've never done this event but I would say it's much tougher than Snowdon - due to the terrain. The Coastal path (or the bits I've previously run) have been twisting and turning and hilly.
    Very hard to compare a road event with an off road one

RFJ - well done on your club place.
  • Options
    HaggyHaggy ✭✭✭
    I have been training off road on mainly hilly grass paths what surfaces are the Coastal paths ? Is any of the marathon on any roads or is it all off road ? I am trying to train off road all the time but the dark nights create problems .
  • Options
    Hi Haggy,

I was down that way over Christmas and did some Coastal running. Parts of the path are v narrow, with no room for overtaking, and very up and down. I know some people who ran the race last year and they said apx 1/3 is on the road, and the remaining is along the coastal route.

V tough race apparently. What have we let ourselves in for?!

ATB
    Mike

• Options
    Hi all.
    I booked this - as a w/e break to celebrate a friends birthday. Tried to book B&B in the Cricket Inn, but its full. They suggested camping - Camping in Devon in Feb!!**! - was accused of being mrs bouquet. You say there are 25 campers already - MAAD the lot of you. I've now got me a nice B&B (phew), need something warm and comfortable to look forward to at the end of a day that starts with a windy coastal run (?) before b'day celebs! And I'm only doing the half (training for FLM - so have a reason to take it carefully).