RW Rugby League fans

Are there any - did you watch GB beat Australia

I am a Fax fan by the way

Comments

• Yep, Saints Fan exiled in Northumberland; there is a rugby thread called 'Try Try Try'
  • Missed it unfortunately ;o(

I'm a pie-eater.
  • 7am this Saturday to see us beat NZ

Beats the Rugby Yawnion

Kick and Clap crap
  • Ooh, hello. Another Wigan fan (I was very impressed with the bloke handing out goodie bags at the end of the Guy Fawkes 10 mile race at the weekend wearing a Wigan shirt in deepest Yorkshire).

Looking forward to Saturday, last week's game was a cracker.
  • ;o)

Good man! And a brave one too. Still I suppose you're not going to fall out with the man who's got your goodie bag!

There's something quite civilised about rugby fans (both union and league) - none of this segregation malarkey. Remember Challenge Cup Finals at Wembley where everyone would be mixed together (and allowed beer) and rub along quite happily. Very different to the experiences I had as a steward at Leyton Orient Football Club and travelling thro' Upton Park when the footie's turning out - now that's scary.
  • I watched it. Then dare I say - I went to Twickenham to watch England get soundly beaten by the All Blacks. (And I shall be back at Twickenham on Saturday too)

Why do people have to pick one or the other - why can't they enjoy both?

And why was Willie Mason only suspended for one game, and a measily £2k fine? He should have been off - at least twice.
  • I enjoy both League and Union but Wigan Fans? - oh dear ;-)

Mason was only suspended for one game because:

a) He is a Aussie

b) He is an Aussie

c) He is an Aussie

• LozF, I do enjoy both altho' I get a wee bit bored of all the kicking backwards and forwards that goes on in Union.

Could be worse Corinthian, could be a Saints fan.................oops!!!! ;o)
  • I don't really watch much union, I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it if I did, but I've never really had a reason to start getting into it (and actually would prefer not to find a reason so it doesn't turn into something else that eats up stupid amounts of my time!).
  • Union is easy for me to get access to living in the south, and it's something I've played so I understand it much more.

But I do enjoy both codes - and I agree about the kicking - even union fans get fed up of it. (Ask anyone watching Hodgson and Balshaw fail miserably on Sunday with their kicks). But I do enjoy the scrums and lineouts etc - it makes it more interesting to regather the ball.
  • I used to fancy Joe Lydon when I was younger...does that qualify me as an RL fan or just shallow beyond all belief?
  • Corinthian where in northumberland are you?
  • that punch was amazing as was his punishment!

can you image if you did that in the street or at your next race meeting?!!!

as it happens i played both codes to a highish level and i have to say that as a game i prefer playing union but to watch i like league.

but union has more history etc and is more worldwide, whereas league is (or was pigeon holed) in the north of england, before super league etc. So because of that i would think it has a smaller fan base.

If you think about it, the U.K., australia and new zealand are really the only pockets of professional leagues for league. Whereas Rugby union is far more world wide, wrongly or rightly.
  • Hiya Snorks; I did live in Longhoughton but now live in Seaton Sluice which is just about in Northumberland.

You're right about League having a small catchment area only certain parts of Australia play league, same as it being a Northern game in this country
  • True, it's not as widespread (esp down here in the soft south) as union but I've been a league fan since well before Super League was even a glimmer in a marketing man's eyes! In those days the only league we got to see down here was Challenge Cup on the Beeb - probably why I'm a Pieeater as they were on every other week. Oh those were the days!

Had a certain penchant for Joe Lydon myself kwilter!! ;o)
  • joe's a nice guy too, he was shafted over england mind. atrue legend of the game.
  • Corinthian i live just outside corbridge my wife used to teach at seaton sluice good beach there!
  • I'm a Widnes Vikings Fan.

Great Britain for the Tri-Nations.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Scouser Pie-eater signing in. Occasionally run with a Wakey fan who was very happy at the end of last season (and less happy at losing Solomona to Bradford).

GB were excellent v Australia & amazed at how well Long played given his GB past. Do you think Faz got up to watch it and had 2nd thoughts????

Happy to see that O'Loughlin has failed his fitness test - he's not test quality & was only given our captaincy to stop him following Carney. Would have liked to have seen Carney play though - hopefully he'll be back for the rest of the tournament.
  • Grr, thanks to NTL having a total power-out since yesterday afternoon I've missed all bar the last few mins of the first half and now need to go to the gym. Might be a little more ticked off if the score were different but would still like to see it seeing as I'm paying so much for damn sky sports.

Hum ho.

Gavo, would have loved to see Faz as captain under Brian Noble.
  • So what's the score going to be?
  • It's 16 - 4 now and we are playing like jelly babies...

Second half comeback 20 - 26 for the Brits
  • Why can't I keep my gob shut?
  • We're pretty happy!!
  • So who is going to be in the final?
  • Only just back so havent' seen the score - guess I'm not going to like it!!
  • Bit of an embarrassment that. At least the kick and clap brigade lost too.

Interesting comments about league vs union and not ones I'd agree with entirely. Union doesn't predate league by too far and in international terms isn't so far behind union as might be believed - most of the smaller nations playing union consist of ex-pats or social climbers, they're not national sports. In Australia RL is a signiicantly bigger game than union; in PNG its the national sport; in NZ its the code preferred by the Maori; in France it was heading for being the dominant code before the Nazi collaborator government at Vichy outlawed the game and gave it's assets to their quinziste friends (read 'The Forbidden Game' by Mike Rylance). The game is currently played in every county of the UK between Superleague, the National Leagues and the summer conference.

My favoured quote on the two codes (and one that sums up my own experience of both) comes from Aussie legend Laurie Daley: "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers".
  • I'm no expert, but I've been to a few league games and heard the big hits - not nice! Definitely have to be tough to play that game!
  • How refreshing to find rugby fans of both codes getting along!
    Just for the record, I'm a league fan with no axe to grind about Union - just never got into it, that's all.
    Having moved back up north last year, me and mrs W. ended up going to see the Bulls quite a lot, but driving into the middle of Bradford on a friday night spoilt the experience a bit!
    Our local club is NL2 Keighley Cougars, so that's where we'll be going next season I think. Funnily enuff, their first game is a 'friendly' against the Bulls.
    And Cougars play on sunday afternoons, I think, not friday nights, so that's a definite improvement!
    Anyone here actually prefer friday night footy?