RW Rugby League fans

2»

Comments

• You're not far from me then Mick - I'm at the Oakworth end of Keighley.
  • I've played both; was born in soccer country (Liverpool) played League at a decent level, played wing and then loose forward (when I lost my pace).

Had a break of three years and then played Union until a shoulder injury (complete shoulder rebuild and replacement joint - erm, fell over a dog - really) Played 'Number Eight'

League is a harder game in terms of physical requirements and running for a back. Also the 'hits' in league are harder

However, forwards in Union need much more sustianed brute strength and to some extent more nouse.

I can't understand people who knock either code, both are excellent games, both are physical. There is one point, I needed to be much fitter to keep my place when I was playing League - then again, it was of a higher level.

I'd much rather watch League and hate the snobbery associated with Union (some clubs - not all)
  • Treiziste - bit of a Catalan connection?
    I'm in Silsden so no, not far from you at all! Who's your team?
  • Indeed Mick - watched all bar 3 Catalan games in this country (missing 2 for holiday and one for a 10k). Team wise its difficult to say - I've been a season ticket holder at Leeds for a number of years, watched Les Catalans alot as well this year, took in a couple of excellent games at Odsal (Saints win and Wire playoffs win) and in the past have watched Keighley as well as various others when the mood has taken me.
  • was thinking about watching keighley cougars this coming season

was a season ticket holder at leeds when the switch to summer happened and visits to headingley have gradually tailed to nothing

various reasons - the main one being the pain it is to get for friday night matches :O( am a tradtionalist, what's wrong with sunday afternoon! apart from the tv schedules

have watched all levels including catching the manley sea-eagles vs canberra in nz a fair few years ago

can't contribute much to the debate between the 2 codes, apart from to say any league game holds me captive in front of the tv, I have never managed to watch a whole union game without being distracted and besides which, I'm a Huddersfield lass!

well done england this afternoon too
  • NSL - do it, get yersel' along to Cougar Park! And it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one put off by crap journeys on friday nights.

Treiziste - if you were at the bulls game, I apologise for the behaviour of our 'chavs'. It may be of some consolation to know that after that, numerous people wrote to the club to complain, and the Bulls security people were not at all happy with the stewarding. Steps were taken.
  • Looks like Sean Long has pressed the self destruct button again.
  • Mick - I was at the Rooley Lane end for the 2 Catalan games and yes, there were plenty of idiots, but no more than at Headingley (or most other grounds) and for the others 2 I was on the popular side for the other two with no problems.
  • Wich of the three reasons given is true re Long's departure?

a, He broke the alcohol ban

b, Caught betting on outcome of games he was playing in

c, personal reasons - his missus is about to have a baby

To me, Long made the difference between beating the Aussies and being soundly thrashed by the AB's - when he is on song he gives a team a whole new dimension
  • Probably down to personal reasons. But who should replace him for next week? Is it worth flying someone over to take his place?
  • No - let Rob Burrow partner McGuire IMO.

It'll give the Aussies something more to think about.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Move Pryce to stand-off. Burrow & McGuire are a bit similare - it will help having at least 1 physical player in the 6/7 slot. Then with Burrow & McGuire sharing the responsibility, they can bring pace & nouse from the bench if the Aussies get tired.

Long is a kn0b though.
  • Did anyone see the Tonga England game at widnes yesterday, seems that Tonga have been taking tackling and discipline lessons from Mason
  • great game yesterday - good old fashioned rugby brawling!
  • Went to the match yesterday.

Great game and tonga are a good team with ball in hand. But there discipline let them down and the scenes at the end with the brawl is not good for rugby.

But we WON and thats all that matters
  • I always liked Sean Long. Shame really.
    I think we need some BIG lads out there, and much as I like Burrows, he aint a big fella!

Do aussies get tired?!
  • Quote Johnathen Davies on the differnece between Rugby League and Union

You get cold playing Union, I never got cold playing Rugby League

• Did Jiffy not also make a comment when he returned to union that he then understood why union shorts had pockets but league ones didnt?

i.e. in union a back needed to keep his hands warm as he never saw much action.
  • Super play off Stacey Jones for big Frank Pritchard's try.