Blisters !!

2»

Comments

• On a serious note. I have a big problem with blisters so when I'm out of plasters, I find that vasoline works (I dont get blisters on a 2 1/2 hr run).

I have also tried wearing 2 pairs of socks which also works and is comfortable to do in winter.

However, my biggest blisters come from playing 5 a side football. All that stopping and starting absolutely destroys my feet so that I can barely walk home. I would be interested in trying some of the above mentioned products as I have not been able to stop the dreaded football blisters.
  • I found that running shoes with a hard moulded join between sole and upper gave me blisters just behind the ball of the foot, when going over 5 miles. Changed to nikes with a soft join, no problems. When buying push your finger round the edge of the inner sole where the ball of your foot would be, if you feel a 'sharp' edge = blisters
  • bout that urinating on feet thing - the urine toughens the skin, thats why its good for blister prevention.
  • Hi
    Sorry to keep on about blisters but. I have suffered them for a while but not taken action. However during long run Sunday became painful after a few miles. When returned had a bad knee so ignored blisters although I did pop one in bath. Went out again last night for 6 mile run - blisters played up and knees of - In bath I again popped blister and took all loose skin. Went to boots today where I was recommended Compeed plasters and told off for removing skin. Put them on which made foot more bearable to walk on - Is it right that it should still ache with compeed plasters on ?, should the pain go in a few days ? how long should I put up with pain before visiting GP ? any views please

• Hiya Undulating -
    I reckon it is still so sore because you took the skin off (tut! tut!) - I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you keep it clean.
    I also wouldn't bother with the compeed plasters now that the skin is off (the whole idea of then is to slowly remove the fluid as they are hydro-colloid - I think that's the word)..you can also get strips for burns and grazes from Boots that I've also used (when I've had seriuous chaffing) so that might be an option as they are designed to work on "open wounds".
    They kind of act as a second skin and speed up the healing process.

I posted earlier about a "rubber blister spray" that I use which works quite well (although only as a preventative measure)..
  • LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    You'll know if a blister becomes infected.- The spreading redness over the entire foot and feet swelling up to twice their normal size,- oh and the hot pins and needles and wierd trippy feelings are a dead give away...

Then the nice doctor people give you drugs to make it all go away :-)

-Not even a running injury.- a shopping round camden in inappropriate shoes blister.

Try "New skin" over the top to protect it.
  • V.interested in this as I was fine last year but got new trainers, same as old ones, and began to get really bad blisters.

I tried to swap in soles from old ones but no help. Next was a set of Superfeet but they are not helping.

Did 12k today and have 2 inch blister again.

I blew all ligaments in right leg 4 years ago and guy at sports shop says I overpronate on the righ and Superfeet should correct but not if I don't have any soles left !!

Any ideas ?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for treating and/or preventing very deep blisters? I developed a pair of matching blisters on the underside of my heels during an endurance walk at the weekend, each about the size of a Compeed plaster, and I can barely put my heels to the floor now.

I don't know why these blisters are so deep-seated, rather than the usual superficial type that fills with fluid, so I don't know what to try to prevent them. I'm assuming that I shall just have to be patient as far as treatment is concerned.
  • Socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks
  • Already done the socks bit. It was socks that stopped the problem last year.

I use Falke RU4 Cools. Tried 1000 mile but about as much use as choccie teapot.

Next.....
  • Hey there,

I've never had a problem with blisters before until I bought a new pair of addias calibrate trainers and now I've got two crakers on each foot in the same place (the bit down the side your big toe is on)!

I've got a sneaking suspision it may be the shoes as I used to be a size eight. When I went to buy new shoes 8 and 8 1/2 felt too tight. I think that 9 may just be a wee bit loose. Do you think thicker socks may sort this? I usually just wear regular dress socks.

Cheers
  • If you get blisters during a run, as soon as you get back soak your feet in as hotter water as you can stand mixed with loads of salt. Leave your feet in there until the water cools. The hot water will soak into your skin and when it drys the salt will be left behind, giving your skin a 'leathery' but much tougher texture, helping you to build your own resistance to blisters.
  • I've got a particularly nasty blister on my heel (well on the bit between the heel and the arch of the foot). I (unfortunately) pulled the skin off at the weekend and then put a compeed on it, that only seemed to make a nasty smell and leave sticky stuff behind on my foot. Anyway, the compeed did make it easier to walk on! Took off the compeed last night, bathed the area with surgical spirit to both toughen it and clean it, now, after leaving it overnight to allow air to it, it appears to be healing BUT there are little red patches around one edge and it is really sore to walk on.

Any suggestions that might make it easier to walk on for the time being or should I just grin and bear it?

Mark
  • you should have really left the compeed on until it came of itself.when you put a compeed on it swells and fills the blister thus making it less painful to walk on. you could try re-applying one and see how that goes, otherwise grin and bear it as it should improve over the next couple of days.
    lessons to be learned:
    leave blisters alone, don't pull at them, if at all use a pin to drain them.
    leave compeeds on until they drop off themselves.
  • Re original question - not aways socks. I started to get bad blisters on inner ball of my foot (inc from 6 miles in on the FLM and through my protective compeeds). Subsequentrly tried different sock types and made no difference. Clearly wasn't a friction thing and chaps at Runners Need thought might be something to do with my running style - seemed that each stride I was pushing off with the inner part of the ball of my foot, rather than the whole of my forefoot, causing pressure rather than friction blisters at the main point of lift off.

After some playing round with shoes, eventually I swapped my Structure Triaxes for some Asics Gel Empires, which seem to give much more forefoot stability whilst providing the same general protection against over pronation. Despite a serious battering, my feet haven't had any sort of blister recurrance. Can't swear that the same shoes will do the trick for you, but worth checking them out.
  • Matt

Interesting. I got to the point that I just put surgical tape on both feet where blisters occur then smear with vaseline. It doesn't stop then but does seem to lessen the severity. Anything over about 6 miles I still tend to get blisters.

Also changed trainers to Asics Gel as well which were a real pain to break in but have softened up nicely and cause less issues than my Brooks.

Given I managed to destroy cruciate, lateral etc a number of years ago I think it has to be something to do with my gait when running but just got to keep going.

When it all goes to pot then I will probably cycle instead. lol

Cheers
  • My newest trainers caused horrid black blisters so I went back to my previous trainers for a while. The nice man in the shop said to try putting the old inersoles in the new trainers and 90% of time it works ! Have tried this and it does seem better .
  • Don't know if anyone has mentioned it above but have you tried surgical spirit ?
    Very cheap from the chemist. Get some cotton wool. Wet cotton wool with sprirt and rub over problem area - daily for a week or two perhaps. Certainly helped mine - used to get lots under the toes - helps harden the skin.
    Word of caution though - don't apply to open cuts/blisters etc. Need them to heal first.