Ready to eat meals

Comments

• I used to be the Convenience Food Queen!!

But I’ve been converted, to Fresh Food Heaven. Yes it takes longer, but I cook massive batches of food then freeze them.

I still have some ‘student’ type food like: Tuna, pasta, sweet corn, and low fat salad cream for sauce, that’s a good packed lunch, perhaps with some salad.

Or buy a cooked chicken from any of the big supermarkets and have some pasta, veg or salad with it. Frozen veg is ok you can even get good microwaveable frozen veg. These are quick and easy ideas.

But as I’ve learnt over time, don’t get hung up about your weight, in fact DITCH THE SCALES! You should eat healthy, exercise regularly and if you ‘treat’ yourself now and then well that’s ok as long as its in moderation. Stick to this basic rule and you’ll have no problems dealing with army life.

Good luck
  • As someone who used to buy and merchandise ready meals for a retailer (saying no more than that!), don't bother. More often that not what the packet says in terms of nutrition bears little resemblance to what's actually in the product. Besides that they've been through the mill in terms of processing and additives etc etc. I won't touch them now.

Some of the above suggestions are great. Plus the more you get used to making things yourself the quicker and easier it is. Esp. if you have your fridge well stocked.
  • I would avoid those ready meals, they won't really fill you up and are full of rubbish. If you must have one add a large salad.

I lost two stone with the support of a personal trainer, I worked hard in the gym and ate a sensible healthy diet. Its not rocket science, 5 fruit/veg a day, low fat, unrefined carbs and protein. Plenty of water to drink and avoid the beer!!!

I found that keeping a diet diary was useful, buy writing down what you eat and drink for a couple of weeks it is easy to see where changes can be made.

BUT don't get too worried about it, once you start training you will lose weight and get fitter.

The occasional treat is important though, I love a few squares of green and blacks chocolate (organic so its OK!!), and the occasional glass of 15% red goes dwon nicely!!!
  • Stay away from from ready meals, they are rubbish and are fillied with all sorts of junk to make them tast nice.

I find a high protein diet with two portions of starchy carbs (potatoes, rice ,pasta, bread)per day allows me to stay virtually at the same weight. I tend to vary which meal to eat the carbs at then life doesn't become too boring !!

• H., that's really interesting about ready-meals often not containing what they say they contain nutritionally. Can you give me more information about that? (Not on here, obviously!)

I am trying to reduce my 15-year-old daughter's consumption of low-calorie vegetarian ready-meals, mainly because I think it's time the little rascal learned to cook (she's not a fussy eater, though she's vaguely health-conscious) and I'd love some information to present to her that she won't assume I've just made up!

• Get normal porridge oats with nothing added. You can make it up the night before and leave it in a flask. If you do that, the oats have broken down more and are easier to digest - plus you don't have to faff around in the morning.

Make it with water - then add a bit of milk once it's in the bowl. A bit of brown sugar or syrup on it makes it more palatable in my view.

• Without incriminating myself Velociraptor some places are better than others at declaring what's in a product. In terms of nutritional labelling you're allowed I think it's a 10% leeway, but I know from having tested products myself that many fall well outside that. It's the same in terms of declaring what's in a product and the terminology used. So much can be hidden or declared in a misleading way. I can mail if you need specifics, although it's a year or two since I worked in the industry so I wouldn't take everything as a given.

If you really wanted to put her off take her to a factory. Seeing the filling for shepherds pie plopping out of a rancid pipe is enough to turn anyones stomach. That and the butchery!
  • I feel like I'm being a bit harsh now. There's room for these products every now and again if you're pushed for time or something. Definitely not every day though. Like anything, moderation is key.

I'm probably a bit biased...I've seen too much!
  • Mrs. I

Add a handful of raisons to your porridge, tastes great and counts as part of your 5 a-day.
  • I agree with porridge - top meal. Syrup... now there's a thought. I love my homemade flapjacks as munchies or trail food when out on my MTB. As for carbs after x O'clock and all that... when I was more into strength and body building I used to eat protein within 30 mins of finishing training. I run after work alot now and also commute via MTB. I'll have a small protein snack when I get back from a run/ride. If it's a weekend run I won't eat properly for 90+mins (something to do with insulin and metabolic rate). At night I figure that if I can sleep whilst my body has a high metabolism then I am burning energy (body fat hopefully if I haven' eaten) so I'll have a small protein snack and head for the shower and bed.

Not sure if this is the same concept with all ready meals but I heard that when burgers are pressed the non round bits are reconstituted and then go in for pressing again. The first pass burgers go to the higher end supermarkets and by the time you get to 5th or 6th pass you're getting into 4 burgers for a quid territory. Read 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser if you want to be put off fast food for life.

Sounds like you're already in the Army Cadets so know what to expect. I did 9 years in the RAF from age 17. Providing you are fit and healthy I wouldn't worry about too many extra pounds as they'll soon drop off during basic training. Just make sure you can pass basic fitness tests and put 110% in. Unless you really under peform effort counts for more than abiity.

Make sure YOU get a disciplined balanced diet sorted out by learning what foods contain what (and portion sizes) as when there are 3 or 4 meal options laid out at the mess and a big spoon plus dessert it can be a bit too tempting to pile on your favourite foods rather than than balance carbs, protein and fats (and yes we need fats).

Good luck with your Army career and remember it's only bull$h1t and is there to sort the weak from the strong.
  • Just realised I went on a bit there.... sorry.
  • useful post for him though Craig
    No need for apologies
  • I am a doctor and I worked out your BMI (body mass index). This worked out at 31 which is definately overweight. It sounds loike you are motivated to lose weight but I would counsell against you trying to do it quickly via the ready meal route. You will feel hungry and miserable.Now is a good time to change your eating habits for a life time. You have already had plenty of good advice. Eat lots of fruit and veg, particularly as snacks. Start the day with a filling healthy breakfast and steer clear of junk. Above all, exercise and exercise restraint!
  • Ready meals are junk - avoid liek the plaugue. They are stuffed with fat and salt and will make your job so much harder. Being overwieght I suggest that the first thing you will find hard is that you will get v hungry as your blood glucose/insulin regulation will have gone to pot. I found I had to forget low GI, that was not enough. If I eat porridge I am starving again by lunchtime. Protein will get you back on track better. I have lost weight after having kids by cutting back on carbs. NOT atkins, as I did NOT increase fat. But I find carbs make me very hungry, esp in the morning if I eat them for dinner. I cut out booze, switched to loads and loads of salads and stir fries with no rice with lean chicken, fish, and red meat, and plenty of naturally cooked (esp steamed)veg, not fruit though as it is very full of sugar, and big tip, drink lots of water, esp before a meal as it makes you feel full so you are less likely to over eat. Beware of cereals in the morning - they are often high in calories and full of fat/sugar/salt and even the best will start off the blood glucose rollercoaster. Try scrambled egg with a small amount of lean bacon instead. Protein is much slower than low GI carbs to release energy and does not muck up your blood glucose. Be v careful with cheese as it is full of fat and very high kcals. Exercise will help of course, but we all know that the only way to loose weight really is to eat less, and less of the 'wrong' stuff. I also think that losing 1 lb a week is rubbish - if you can stay on a diet that gives you so little reward and is so easy to bust you must be a saint! I find I need to see results or I just give up. That means half a lb every 2 days min, and at your weight that should be quite sensible.

Vicki
  • half a pound every two days

3.5 pounds a week
    ?
  • Trouble is, army catering isn't particularly well geared up to those who are into healthy food. Kate Adie, in her autobiography, describes the UK armed forces as "performing remarkly well for an outfit fuelled by beer and chips".
  • Muttley - not sure what your experiences are but I found that with the RAF when messing in the field I agree that the food can be more calorie than quality. Back on a normal unit I found there was healthy food to be found. It sometimes took a bit of finding or was limited. It was very hard to walk past the morning fried bacon, sausages, egg etc to the toast and porridge. I was able to order my lunchtime jacket spud or omelette if I phoned it in first thing in the morning or asked nicely at breakfast. I am not saying that it would have worked if every member of the unit started ordering a la carte but making friends with the mess hands and calling the cooks 'chefs' certainly helps. Maybe us RAF lot were pampered compared to the pongo's.

• Hi all. Recurrently good advice about porridge. An athlete's staple. You're a heavy guy, and without being rude, most probably need good portions, so here are some tips:

- Get down to Holland & Barrett and buy some soya-bran. It's 60% fibre (yes, over twice as high as All-Bran). Add about 10-20g of this to your porridge to thicken it and reduce the GI even further.
    - High fibre keeps you fuller longer, and even reduces the absorption of fat.
    - Scramble some egg whites in the morning. Have one yolk (for the taste and the nutrients), then add 3 whites. Eggs are cheap, so don't worry about waste.
    - Lance Armstrong used to start every day of his winter training this way (especially in November after he'd put on some weight in the off-season). The protein lowers the GI of any cereal you eat afterwards, maintains your muscle mass and curbs any mid-morning Mars-hunting!

If you run late at night, get a Rego (or equivalent) down you as soon as you're done. The melatonin will calm you down and release sleep-hormones - you're hunger won't be as exaggerated as if you shower/read/watch telly and then have some dinner.

Someone else said they were thin and eat all day long - I can't remeber who. I guess I'm the same. I'm 5ft 8 and about 9 and a half stone, but I absolutely loads: Between 3500 and 6000 calories a day depending on my training (4 hours on the bike sometimes). Low fat and high QUALITY carbs/protein is key!

Ready-meals are just over-processed and fibre and nutrient depleted junk!
  • Hi There,
    I have just lost 4 stones and I find the best diet (have tried them all) is Dr. Patrick Holfords gl diet. I have his cook book and he makes the most amazing filling low carb museli. It really sets me up for the day (I used to be hungry an hour after breakfast too).

Good luck with the weight loss, I am just hoping I don't put any of my weight back on.
  • I think you might find that after a week on the microwave ready meals you'll soon realise they all taste the same. I was forced to eat them whilst having my kitchen modernised - it nearly put me off them for life! Stick to a sensible well balanced diet is my opinion.
  • Run before breakfast to burn your fat calories and slowly increase your milage from 4 to 6 etc...you'll become a better fat burning machine. Those micro meals are utter Kack! eat porrige and banana in morn post run - huge salad at lunch, with tuna and a wholesome meal in the evening...Walk everywhere and sometimesd cycle when ya have time. i lost a stone in 8 weeks by eating and running well and 4 stone in 4 years eating sensible (most of time) and running...mix up your runs! Long and slow , fast and hard and don't let ya body get used to a routine. Mix up your run and mix up your breakfast...Also, do weights 3 times a week but not heavy weights - fast reps in evening to burn extra calories before bed...and stay of the snacks for a few months - i didn't eat choclate for 1 year but now pig out when i want! Ya need some discipline - which ya'll cvertain to get in the forces. Build up ya distance! This is just my opinion from personal success and experience. Good luck mate!
  • IronDuke,

You've virtually described my entire year (4 stone weight loss over that period) of getting fit & healthy to the tee!

Are you me? ;)
  • 'fraid not...
    Stay fit everyone! And remember - beer is fine at times - 'full of carbs' (as Jimmy Fixx states)
    Must dash - the boss is looking!
  • Military catering is not what it used to be; there are very few military chefs out at units nowadays.

Most regular units have moved on to something called 'Pay as you dine', which is basically like a cafeteria system with you paying for your food on a meal-by-meal basis.

You won't be using this system in basic training, but will when that has finished. The system is run by a private company, who are out to make a profit (understandably so!)

Most soldiers tend not to be too happy with the quality of the food or the service, and so end up trying to feed themselves. As you can imagine there are a lot of soldiers living on junk food Mc D's, KFC, Pizza etc etc which isn't good.

But remember you can live quite effectively on food from a small fridge, a kettle and a microwave.

My advice?? Listen to what you've been told here and learn to prepare your own easy healthy meals. Rices, pasta, tuna, wholemeal breads, loads of fresh fruit and veg etc

Oh I almost forgot, enjoy being a squaddie!!!
  • I've lost seven stone in a year and a half. i got to a stage in july i was slipping back into old ways. i was doing a half marathon in October and managed to lose another stone and a half. the problem is now i am just under 15 stone and want to lose another two stone, but the problem is i can't be anymore active than i all ready am, i run four times a week attend the gym twice or three times a week and can't eat any better than i all ready am, fruit, veg and so on, any advice
  • Hey Steve

Well done so far. Curious to know how much you drink??

Water and alcohol!
  • I hardlt touch any alcohol i drink a lot of luquid through the day though, diet coke cordial.
  • Sorry I thought that if you were partial to the old vino or the amber nectar that might explain it.

As other parts of this site keep saying carbs from alcohol are just junk carbs.

I'm currently around 13st and could easily get down to 12.5 or less but refuse to give up the red wine!! :-)

Perhaps it's the gym work keeping you bulked up? Lots of weight training with heavy weights could have that effect?
  • Try making homemade soup, its so easy and far cheaper than ready meals.

Just chop up an onion, fry in some olive oil for a few minutes. The chuck in whatever veggies you fancy, cook a bit more. Pour in some boiling water to cover, add a stock cube and thats about it. Just let it simmer for about 10 mins until the veggies are tender.

If you want a chunky soup, just eat. If you like it smooth, get one of those stick blenders for about £4 and blitz away.

You can even make a big batch up in advance and save some for few days later. It will taste even better like that!
  • Wouldn't touch ready meals if you paid me!

Homemade soup is fantastic stuff, and you know precisely what's in in because you made it. I'm a huge fan of lentils, so I always bung a good serving of those into whatever soup I make - they're really filling too. As for veggies, you can pretty much chuck in whatever you like - experiment and see what you enjoy. One of my favourites is carrot and almond soup (onion, carrots, ground almonds, veggie stock cube - takes hardly any time to make. Even made it for people at work too and they loved it).

Love her or hate her (I'm a bit of a fan), but Gillian McKeith does have some good recipe suggestions. And trawl the internet for ideas; just think some healthy ingredient you like and look for something which includes it.

Believe me, once you get into the habit of healthy eating, you'll feel so good that you won't want to go back to the ready meals. If you focus on eating healthily rather than losing weight, you'll probably find it easier to stick to and the weight will just come off naturally.

Good luck with it all!