Options

Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Options
    Rodney - Thats an excellent time - I bet you're happy.  I did 4.34 - I'm happy.
  • Options
    Morning all!  How'd it go!  Well done to all who posted times...waiting for the others!
  • Options

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great day yesterday. Well done to RacoonQueen, NSC, Rodney and Seamus. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else did.

This was my first marathon so I guess I didn't competely know what to expect. Now I do - it was TOUGH!

I was hoping for 3:45 but unfortunately didn't make my target time. But after the huge physical and mental effort it took me to make the time I did I am extremely proud of myself.

The weather was great (besides the wind obviously but you can't have everything!) and there was a great atmosphere at the start.

I started off running 8:30 min miles for the first half and was bang on target at 13.1 miles. I have to say I found mile 12 extremely tough. All up-hill and the wind right against you.

From about mile 15 or 16 it started to feel like hard work and my legs were starting to complain. I was finding it tough to keep the pace up and I had to accept that if I did I would possibly have to walk at some stage and certainly miss even getting sub 4 hours.

Mile 18 onwards was all about digging in and keeping going. I was now going about a minute per mile slower than the first half but it felt much much harder. I always thought running a marathon was a great achievment but I have even more respect now for anyone who does it regardless of time.

The last 2 miles I was really starting to fade but the support of the crowd was fantastic and really kept me going. When I turned the final corner and saw the clock I could see that if I picked it up a bit I would make 3:55. I spotted my wife and son cheering me on in the last few hundred yards and I pushed myself that little bit more and crossed the finish line at exactly 3:55:00 (chip time 3:54:36).

I had told myself at around mile 20 that whatever time I finish at I will raise my arms as I cross the line. I've worked so hard for that moment that I'm going to enjoy it and look good in the finish photo. When I actually crossed the line I was completely out of it and forgot about it. I'd say I looked like I was about to collapse!

If I could do anything diffent I would have taken it a lot easier in the first half. I ran the second half 12 mins slower than the first so I obviously started off too quick. Looking back on the course the first half was tougher than the second so trying to run even splits was probably not a good idea. I ran the first half too fast and paid for it big time.

Roll on next year!

PS The chip time the marathon website has up for 20km is actually 30km. Had me confused for a while!

• Options

Managed a new PB. Haven't got the exact time yet but it was in the region of 3.39.

Great to meet so many people off the forum over the course of the 3 days and well done to you all.I'm aiming to be back again next year to do all it again.

• Options
    Excellent times you guys! image...glad you're going back next year Foxy.  I'll be there too!
  • Options

Hi All - what an experience!!! Got round in 4:11:49 but was delighted even though I didn't hit my target time - I now know that setting myself a target time for my first marathon was a bit arrogant when I didn't know fully what was invloved.

EMCC - that description of the run could be mine - except for the finishing time - on course for sub four at 13.1 (1:53:44) and even up to 16 miles but then got under pressure and had to stop and stretch at 18 and had to run/walk for 2 or 3 miles before getting some rythm back and running home from 4 miles out. The crowds were fantastic and it was well worth having my name on my top as loads were calling my name and it help me over the tough miles 18 to 22.

I was so done after it that I couldn't physically walk to Kennedys so apologies for not making it down there - hope you all had a good time - it was well deserved.

Finally I'm not making any decision about any future marathon or even 10k run for at least a week to allow the pain in my legs (and everywhere else) to subside.

Well done everyone!

• Options
    GFB - This was  my 3rd consecutive Dublin marathon so I may as well make it 4 next year. The festivities are too good to miss anyway. So I'll see you next year then !
  • Options
    My aim is to be back next year as well, but may have already run two marathons by the time I get to Dublin!
  • Options
    ...of course it all depends if I qualify for Hawaii...(lol)
  • Options

I had an evenful race. In the first mile I stumbled on a tram line jarring my ankle but it was ok, then as I was runing wide to pass people I had to leap-frog a police cone and at 23-25 miles I actually caught my toe on a bump in the tarmac and did a forward roll, skinning my knee and elbow. Looking back now I am glad I did the race but  from around 16-17 miles I just wanted it to be over. I was telling myself there would be no more marathons for me. Today I am analysing my split times and working out my training schedule for Belfast.

The race organisation was terrific as were the goody bags at the expo and at the finish. The finishers t-shirts are great and the crowds around the course were really helpful and encouraging. The hotel we stayed in treated us really well and even though we had to check out for 12:00pm they reserved rooms for us to shower when we came back for our luggage.

Apart from me not running as well as I hoped the whole experience was great and Dublin is a marvellous city. See you all next year.

• Options
    ...crikey...that was a very acrobatic race RL!!  Well done on the finish!
  • Options
    I've just been for another mile long run. image

Did anyone else find it very cold out there with the wind? There was times when I was literally freezing, don't think I REALLY warmed up all day. My miles were slow from the off, missed the first two mile markers but looked at my watch about 2 and a half miles in and thought I must have run three by now because of my time, then saw the three mile marker a couple of minutes later, hadn't been trying to pace myself but it's probably just as well I didn't run my usual 8 minute miles as I probably never would have finished,
  • Options

Rabnif - really well done (and all you other forumites).  It's just that I met Rabnif at the half.  Any word from Barry K?  Isn't it just the best experience (tough but rewarding) ever?! 

Well done all you marathon runners!! I was thinking of you and thought (even a few miles out where I live) that it was pretty windy.  I knew that had to be a head wind somewhere along the course.

• Options

Hi NRG2 - thanks for the support. The wind was blowing a bit but I didn't feel it was that big a factor. It would be a bit of a stretch to blame the wind for how I felt at mile 22 image.

Maybe you will be out there next year - unlike many other on the posts above I've not decided what to do about attempting a second one - we'll see.

• Options

Well done to everyone.

I was really pleased with my run in the end (3.47.06 when I had been hoping for simply sub-4) but it was the wrong way to get a good run -

The first mile was so slow I decided to try to make the difference over the next few miles with a view to getting back on track by 6.  I didn't get back on track until 8 and that took some swift miles.

With the fact that, in my view, it was 80% uphill for the first half, by 10 miles I was completely dead.  I could not see how I could even finish.  I only really kept going because I had travelled so far to get there and because of my pride.

I pushed on to 13 with a view to counting down each mile.  The fact that it was 80% downhill for the remainder of the run helped but I just hurt and basically had to talk myself round.  I knew if I could get to 20 I would finish but gave up on by what time.

Knowing the course now as I do, next year I will certainly aim to take the first half a little easier saving something for the downhill second.  It would also be great to get to half way and still feel ok!!

I will also make better choices re: accomodation.  The B&B I was in was great except for the live music bar beneath my room - with fantastics sounds right until 2am.  I think I managed 5 hours Sat and then 2.5 hours Sun evenings. 

I am stiff today and have paid a visit to my physio for a very painful massage.  He has recommended a light job tonight but I think I will leave it until tomorrow!

I can't wait to get back running and into my full training routine - and planning my next outing!

• Options

A lovely race and good company to boot!

We made it to the 'Pasta Party', but not to Kennedy's at least I didn't. I was so cold at the end of the race, that I just wanted a hot coffee and a shower.

After a year of injury and other life stresses, I completed in just over 5 ½ hours, so not displeased with that at all.

Thanks again for the support and to Barry for his excellent organisation!

• Options

Hello all

Haven't had time to read all the way back yet.

I did 3.07 which was slower than I had hoped but I was glad to have finished.  My knee went a bit funny at 15 miles and I thought I would have to pull out.  Walked twice and went to the loo! so not bad.

Great to catch up with some of you at the meal. Sorry to hear of bad races.  You will soon forget and will be signing up for the next one.

Back to sunny Swansea this evening. Thanks for the hospitality Dublin.

• Options

hi all,

had a great day yesterday but am so sore now, I think it's from all the hanging around in the cold waiting afterwards... came in 4.32 so am over the moon with that, crossed the line in 4.37 but it took us that long to cross the start line! (of course i'm wishing now i hadn't stopped to stretch, and had broken the 4.30 mark, but 4.32's a good time for a hard day's work!!!) am so looking forward to not having to train this weekend!

I'm not sure i'll do another one, but am pretty sure i said that last year as well, and here i am with another finisher t-shirt!!! congrats to all (and esp congrats to DTB, that was a fantastic time, and it was great to see u again (assume that was HH with you, hi HH!), am so sorry for the quick conv, but we were so cold and miserable by that stage and couldn't find family at all, so had to go ask a stranger to borrow their mobile - thanks so much to that girl whoever she was!!!) safe trip back to all those travelling,

NCx

• Options

Well what a day. I've been training with the Nike Plus kit attached to my iPod and find it great for tracking pace and distance. I was showing it off to two Texan girls at the start and then wallop the iPod would not power on.  Had no watch so hadn't a clue what pace I was going at. Started well enough but there were alot more hills than I was expecting. Nice downhill coming out of the Phoenix Park though. Met up with two young lads from Dublin at around mile 15. They were using a Garmin Forerunner so was able to pace with them. Strangely though they said we had gone 2K further than the race markers were saying.  Stayed with the guys until the RDS as I started to tire then. Walked for a minute and then picked it up and finished strongly. Great feeling taking that final corner. Finished in 4:40 which was great for a guy who couldn't run a mile in January.  Was hoping for under 4:30 but I think my slow start put paid to that. All in all a great day which was organised brilliantly. Not sure I'll do another one, but will definitely do 10Ks and halfs.

• Options

WoooHoooo!! That was great (in parts), although I did cry alot at the end.

I ran with nsc up to about 21-22 miles and she was fab, chatting away, keeping our pace going.  Having our names on our tops really made a difference with the crowds, best advice I got from the forum I think. 

From the Stillorgan Road she began to drift away in front and nothing I could do could make me catch up.  All the superior talent and traning took over. 

I began to struggle badly and decided at 24 miles that even if I walked the rest I would be in before 5 hours.  I took approximately 10 steps and they were the most painful of my life.  I then realised that it was easier to run.  And if I tried to run a bit faster it would be over sooner.

Approaching the Grand Canal bridge (sorry - who put a mountain in my way) DTB came cruising past me looking happy and relaxed.  I shouted, but she was definitely concentrating hard on the road ahead.

So I just put one foot in front of the other and managed to finish in 4.38.  I am soo very, very pleased with that time.

• Options

I then had the walking problem, big style.

It took me an hour to walk back to Parnell Sq to the apartment - Kennedys was not an option.

Today I am not so sore.  Stairs are not as bad as I thought they might be.  And I can walk again...

Not sure that I will do many marathons though...

Got the Sodbury Slog a week on Sunday!!!!!

• Options
    Oh and I was absolutely boiling after approximately 5 minutes of running, even my hands were dripping with sweat.  Went to bed with a sunburnt nose!! Cold!!!!! OMG I call that ridiculously warm for Dublin at the end of October. 
  • Options

Hi All

Glad to see so many got the times they were chasing and those doing their first have now truely caught the bug!!!!

Had a great start to the race and was hitting my splits perfectly - got to 6 miles and took a gel - instant stomach cramps - ducked behind a tree and was violently sick - then suffered through camps but kept up the pace til about 11-12 miles but could not take water or anything else ... so from 12 miles just got slower and slower and had a nigtmare at 21 miles and alternated walking and jogging.

Kept going and eventually started feeling a bit better, finished feeling a bit miserable and disppointed with my 4:13 - got my stuff and wandered off toward kennedy's to drown sorrows.

On the way bumped into a guy on track for 5 hours plus having crash and burnt on a plastic bottle at a water station - gave him some recovery fluid and some pain killers for his messed up knee - and felt like an idiot for being miserable!

Still not quite up for a pint I headed home! next day that medal looks pretty damn good!!!!  image

• Options

Well done everyone , whatever time you did it in . But even more well done to the thousands ( well it seemed like it to me ) of Dubliners who cheered , banged drums ,rang bells and blew whistles plus I thought I saw a band  playing or was that a bit of dehydration , surely not .

My second marathon this year chip time 3:48 I sort of sprinted at the finish because I saw the finish clock and decided there & then I wanted under 3:50 how crazy is that when my aim was sub 4 . I did actually train for 3:30 hoping it would definately help me to achieve under 4 , I may have got closer to 3:30 if and here come the excuses / reasons . Being later than anticipated to the start , I was in the sub 4 area and it took me a min to the start line , but that was the least of it because the pack I was in were not going at the pace I wanted to start at and this field didnt thin out til around 8 miles I was then 5 mins behind my target and still not able to make it up .

Anyway moans over it was another superb experience and the support memorable with dozens shouting my name ( cos I put it on my top ) and if you acknowledged them you got an even louder cheer ! which really boosted my morale and pace .

All in all a superb experience next time I may travel on my own so I can give 100 %

Sorry I missed everyone on here , I hear the Guinness was flowing last night Wrexhamrob you knew when to bail out eh

Liam - how did you fare - in the race , not Templebar

Pinks shoes -whats so important about 1 sec after keeping at it for 4 1/2 hours LOL

FOAR - I wasnt far behind you I presume your doing stockport 10 in december ?

• Options

Hi everyone, Dublin was awesome - just been back in North Wales a few short hours - arrived home around 4:30 today following a wonderful epic journey starting @0930 by Dublin Bus to Dun Loaghoire (?) , Ferry to Holyhead , train to Flint & bus home . But hey its been a great time - is this still post marathon high?

A great big thanks to everyone i met who said hello ,  to Barry & Liam for organisieng get togethers, a really enjoyable weekend

some part of the highlights according to WrexhamRob are here .

I'll catch up with all the posts later, but well done eveyone who acheived goals, commiserations if you didnt.

My goals- to finish- acheived. finished in 4:37 by my watch ( yet to look at splits where it went right & wrong)

Finish not a personal worst- acheived

finish having enjoyed it - acheived , thank you Dublin - the support was great & in the last mile or so wonderful. more later . perhaps .

• Options
    i'll try & post some photos to the blog soon
  • Options
    rob..... NOW ....post pics now image
  • Options

Got some questions about split times especially 20 km dont they mean 30 km ? Also just plugged in my garmin and I've got a discrepancy of 2 mins less than the chip time of exactly 26.2 dont understand unless I spent time weaving around other runners thus increasing my distance over the same time frame lol Oh God I'm losing it now .

By the way did anyone see the guy with Jesus on a card , the runner next to me thought the same as me Is he running as well ? Laughing  while running Brill

• Options

Wrexhamrob

Just read your post wished you contacted me we got ferry at 2:30 and home at 19:00

Pink Shoes xx  not biting ? ( look back a short way )

• Options

OMG I don't know where to start???????

I'll start with FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have had THE most brilliant time - this experience has been soooooooooooo much more than just the run, the whole start to finish has been one of the very best experiences of my life!!!

I am going to post, post and then post some more until I share all of this with every one of you (or bore the life out of you lolol)

All my life I have always said "oooooh yeah, I'd love to run a marathon! & I've never done a damned thing other than say it, then one day I went to a life coach who said - 'go on then' - HUH????  Who was she kidding? Oh yeah right (and for those who are wondering if i've been at the wine again the answer is yes lolol - but just the one!)

So I started to run ... slowly, but I started to run - 5K, 10K Great North Run, then i got this absurd notion that i could actually run a marathon & enlisted for Dublin.  I started the training program but then used almost every conceivable excuse to abandon my plight when the going got tough - this thread kept me going!!!!  Thank you to all of you

... pause for kebab and sip of 2nd glass of wine - BRB