Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• thanks for the info Liam.  I think i might give belfast a go. 
  • Hi Everyone,

Some of you might remember me from the forum last year when I ran my first marathon in Dublin and got wonderful support on here.  I just wanted to post to say well done to you all on a great achievement - you should all be very proud.

I had the pleasure of supporting this year.  Myself and 2 friends were towards the bottom of Fosters Ave (just after 21 miles) and it was so brilliant to cheer on all the runners.  I may have seen some of you.  I certainly saw DTB because I recognised your name on the shirt and you gave us a lovely smile as we cheered you - you looked very strong and comfortable.  We also got a great wave from a daffodile weilding Welshman - Rob perhaps??!!image

A special well done to my fellow marathon virgins from last year - DTB & NC - starting to be veterens now!!

I myself am running New York on Sunday and am in the grip of full scale taper madness.  So coming on here to see how you all did has been a great inspiration.

Well done all!

• ...passes round cake and a glass or two of bubbly...image
  • mmmmmmmmm cake!

happy birthday GFB image

thanks for the cheer Lily and have fun in NY!

it was lovely to meet so many of you either on the course or at kennedy's - that was a perfect way to finish my first marathon image

• Good luck in New York LilyD, hope you have a fab run! And thanks for the cheer! image

I have to say my cheeks were sore from smiling by the end, as the Dublin crowd were fab, and you really felt like people meant it when they were calling out your name. HH and I were saying last night, it's nice in a way the corwd being smaller than huge events like London because you can hear the individual words of encouragement from people, and it really means a lot.image

• best of luck in NYC lily, a friend of mine is doing it for his first mara, and he's dying to get it over with now that i'm done with mine! hope you have a fab time, and recover enough to get some shopping in as well!!! Was thinking about you on Monday, wondering if you were running this year! hope it goes really well for you.

am so delighted to hear everyone is on such a buzz, and that everyone had such a great time over here...sorry i didnt get to meet ye all in the pub, but i had a mountain of study to face for exam last night (and 2 tonight), so a glass of wine was consumed but that was it, alcohol wise- will make up for it on Fri thoughimage

was feeling all sorry for myself at how sore my legs were until my sister said that i didn't seem to be in half as much pain as i was last year - and i don't remember being sore at all last year, so it must be true what they say, that you only remember the good bits! so maybe, just maybe i'll be "kickin' in in Dublin 08" too!!! (only 'maybe' though at this stage, my legs are very sore, John Wayne has nothing on me!!!) Had to get the lift at school last night, having to ask security to let me use it,image of course cue the story for everyone listening that I had just run the mara in 4.32, so naturally i was a bit stiff and couldn't face the 3 flights of stairs, then I just stepped back and let all the resultant praise wash over me!!! imageHorrendously self-gratifying, I know, but hey, if you can't do it after running 26.2miles when can you do it!!!image 

oh, and happy b-day GFB, am the big 3-0 on friimage, but am leaving the country so i don't have to face it here!!!

NC x

• Someone asked about photo's; ASI Photo did the official photography but doubt they will be up just yet !

Am looking for a Spring marathon already to do; whittled it down to 8 possibilities image

• Happy Birthday GFB and thanks for the cake and bubbly!!!

And very happy big 3-0 for Friday ncinoir (I have the one that starts with a 4 next wednesday)!!

DTB, you looked great I never would have guessed that you had quad problems.  I was still passing people all the way, but you just came sailing past without a care in the world.  Your running partner was saying 'Just over the bridge is the 25 mile mark' and I looked at my garmin and thought 'no way matey there's another half mile to go', and then thought that not wearing a garmin might have been more fun!

I am such a woos, a stumbled back to the apartment, crawled into a bath, then got into bed with hubby and children sitting around wanting to hear grizzly details.  Then the rest of my family turned up with wine, guiness, pizza and cake about 5 and we had a mini party in the apartment.  I say mini, because I know that I was in bed by 8pm!!! How wimpy is that!

I can honestly say that the day after is the closest I have ever come to the feeling the day after giving birth for the first time, i.e. like I had been run down by a bus.

nsc jollied me up at the airport yesterday though - and today I want to party!!! But I have to work....

• happy birthday GFB!!! image

well done to all image good to meet some of you in Kennedys - sorry it was so brief, but cleanliness was calling!

waccyracer - good to see you again image

had a very surprising race, especially after  Saturday's efforts - I paced my brother round for 11 miles (he was after 3.20/3.30), then slowed a bit for the next 7 or so miles and was very surprised to catch him up again....I tried to encourage him to pick up his pace, but he just said for me to carry on - I felt guilty about doing so, but did as I was told and finished in 3.29, which I was delighted with image

I waited at the finish line for him, and 3 minutes later he came in, notching up a PB for himself - very proud of him image

also, extremely proud of DTB - I went back down the course to find her and there she was, motoring along like she was only doing a 400m race! I'm not sure I believe her story about having cramp image

a great weekend yet again - Dublin certainly produces the goods!

•  Here are some pictures from the festivities - Hope you enjoy them

http://picasaweb.google.com/Liam3494/DublinMarathon07

• Hi all!

Quickie to say I had a fab time, great to meet lots of you at Luigis and at Kennedys, Porterhouse etc for post race drinks and nosh.

Lazyish day yesterday, but up early for brekkie as was starving. A bit of shopping (bumped into Barry & mate again) then a few drinks and then travelled back to Wales with Sue, Mouse and Nutty.

Great pics Liam. What about the ‘running’ ones, I specifically want to see the one of the other ‘Welsh Clare’ lol? image

• yes - I'd like to see 'Welsh Clare' as well image

Thanks for the pics - sorry I couldn't make it to Kennedy's - I was cold and needed a hot drink and a bath.

Clare and I went to the Porterhouse, but didn't quite want to sidle up to people and whisper <ahem Runners World?>

Good race, lovely country, fantastic company and support, what more can you ask for?

• Pop? image

Not for me of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Have to edit the running ones as they are long range shots image

Working on it 

• Great pics Liam - until Ferryman Monday night LOLOL - clearly I was worse for wear by then - please delete!!!! image

Happy birthday GFB!!!!!  - bubbly is going down a treat ta image - can't partake of the cake, ate too much pasta last week and now feel like a proper lard a*se!!

Good luck in NYC LilyD!

I had fab, fab, fab massage at the physio this afternoon - virtually pain free now! 

So lets see ... that's Barnsley 10K mid-Nov, Stockport10 in Dec - oi Andy, you running r wot?  Blackpool 1/2 mara in Feb - so what should i do in Jan?

Little Harrison is currently 'racing' around the house to show me how fast he is!!

Liam -  mmwahhhhhh - good luck in Philly honey, knock 'em dead image

• Well done all - it sounds like everyone got something out of the race.

I decided against my better judgement, and off inadequate training to try for a sub 2.45.  I soon realised I was running at 2.50 pace and the lack of long runs really told at 21 miles where I dropped from 6.30m/m to 8m/m+!  I limped in and just managed to go sub 3 (by 3 seconds on the clock).

My impressions of the race...

1.  Agree with NR that the pens need sorting. 10,000 runners in a big city marathon need more subtle division than sub 4 and 4hrs+.  I had to stand for nearly 30 mins to get a decent start.

2.  The route itself is very pleasant.  It's the sort of course where if you are fit and fresh it would be possible to run a good time as there are no major climbs.  However when one is undertrained and fading it is slightly more drainingimage

3.  The crowd support is excellent - a really good atmosphere.  At 21 I had to stop to breath out a stitch and for a slight second contemplated a little walk.  A kind lady on a bike told me that if I didn't start jogging it would be a lot harder to get to the end so I started again.  There were no desolate parts on the course and always someone on hand with encouragement.

4.  Fuelling definitely needs sorting.  3 half full plastic cups over 26.2 miles for a race costing £40+ is really inadequate.  They need to take note of races like FLM and Nottingham where one does not have to weigh oneself down with gels in order to have a fuelling strategy.

5.  Pre and post race arrangements fine - easy to negotiate.

6.  Dublin itself - the first time either hilly or I had visited the city.  Defnitely friendly.  Reminded us of Leeds - no really intimidating or imposing buildings or areas, but some fine architecture and a laid back feel you wouldn't expect in a capital city.  Our hotel was excellent and helpful and we were able to spend some time exploring some of the history of the city and were impressed with the National Museum and Kilmainham Jail.  It has given us a better understanding of Irish History and the struggles over the past 300 years so we leave the city with memories of me doing a hard fought race and both of us culturally improvedimage

• Hello all

I agree BR.  I struggled with water stations every three miles.  I topped up my water bottle twice and carried my own lucozade sport. Apart from that, really enjoyed.

EVeryone seems to be very positive about it all so well done Dublin. WE may all be back next year! 

• Hello guys...

Well..  a resounding success and thumbs up for Dublin.. it was a great weekend. 

First of all..  a big thanks to Liam for picking me and a few others up from the airport and guiding us through the expo and to our hotel...  we all got drenched on the '10 minute' walk back to his car though...   really nice gesture.. so, thanks mate. image

I totally enjoyed this race..  I had not trained at all for it.. total running since Paris in April was probably less than 10 miles so it was always going to be an effort..  I got round in 4:57 and am thrilled to bits..  my legs ached a bit yesterday but today I am back to normal and its like it never happened.

The start was really cold..  I walked out of my hotel and within 50 metres was shivering cold..  my hands were really freezing and I was pleased when I saw a guy throw his gloves away as I picked them up and wore them for the first few miles until I warmed up..  I saw Mouse in her pirate outfit and will be keen to find out how she got on..

I caught up with WrexhamRob at about 5 or 6 miles I think it was and we ran together with his mate Mark until just after the 13 mile point.  I stopped for a quick gel refuel and some of that orange drink (what was that??) but never quite caught him back up again..   I saw Mark again a few miles further on but started to feel a twinge in my right quad so slowed and did a bit of a run/walk to ease it off..   by 21 miles I was feeling good again and plodded on..  the real boost came at about 24 miles when the crowds started to pick up again and the run to the finish seemed to be over really quickly..

I got some good pictures of me at the end running with a huge grin on my face apparently.  I don't remember doing that at all though...!

So.. a totally brilliant race..  very enjoyable and I will probably do it again next year.  It was a mental challenge as much as a physical one..  could I do it without any training...  well.. I am pleased to say that I survived and had a good race.

Yesterday, we went to the Guinness factory and it seemed to be full of people in their black finishers shirt.. a great sight to see 

Conclusion:  a very friendly race, well supported..  no real problems..  loved it! 

• Hello all.

Liam - thanks for picking us up at the airport and thanks to both you and Barry for some superb co-ordination all round.

Dark Vader - thank you for some really inspirational words and thoughts on Sunday morning at the expo.

I'm pleased to say I made it around and I'm still alive to tell the tale.  Not quite got to grips with marathons yet and my splits for the first and second half are 30 mins different!

Apologies to Liam, Foxy and Woody for my bad language and nonsense in the pub, I wasn't quite with it.

I really enjoyed it - compared to some of the huge, badly organised half marathons I have run I personally couldn't fault it.  I didn't have to queue for a wee, there was plenty of water, energy drinks and gels, the St Johns were very nice and had lots of stock of the usual runner's requirements.  I didn't have to queue at the beginning or the end.

I probably wouldn't come back and race it again, but not because it wasn't a great day, just because if I were to do this again, I'd like to try somewhere different.  Aside from London (where I already have a deferred place) the jury is still out on whether that will ever happen or not.

Thanks again - you were all a lovely crowd. 

• MM - What bad language was that ? I don't remember any !

Been so busy at work today that I've only just managed to skim through all the posts. I promise to go back and raed them all properly tomorrow.

So much to look back on that I'll just reflect on a great weekend whilst I have my gym re-assessment at 7pm (honest !)

Still curious as to who my mystery supporters were around mile 19 with the shouts of 'Come on Andy' even though I didn't have my name on my shirt ! It was a young lady with dark curly hair and a bit further on a tall guy with glasses (I think). Maybe my clubmate TST who was slightly ahead of me had tipped them off !

Happy birthday GFB !!!

• Foxy - I swore a bit more readily in some of my chatter than I feel it's polite for a lady to do, though thank you for not noticing (nor how badly I stunk).  image
  • just added Wrexham Robs random photos here , hope it works , not as professionally labelled as Liam's but they may inform amuse ?

Stockport 10 and Stockport county @ home from the home end  Hmmmm sounds a treat.

Hmm last time in Stockport  the pre match meal was in good beer guide near the market -excellent food & ale ! still reading posts & wallowing in the post maraton high - or is that the pint of Badger ale !

• Did anybody see the 'I'm NOT Nigel Mansell' guy at about 20-ish miles..??  Very funny..  he looked exactly like Nigel Mansell (the ex-racing driver) and I guess he must get fed with people shouting 'come on Nigel' at him...

Talking of which..    WrexhamRob seems to know everybody in Dublin..  he got a lot of support with people shouting out his name.. image

• Hi everyone, nice to meet some of you at the race and afterwards. What a great weekend image
  • funny that i didnt know i had so many Irish friends - must be Celtic connection , the daffodil .... or maybe something else.

Hey Mrs Pink shoes - i just had to go and check the results  yes your finish time was 4 seconds better than me

BUT my chip time was a full 30 seconds ahead . Do you want a rematch image

• Bring it on Rob - rematch anytime!!!!!! image

HOWEVER...... I will bow down to your chip time and announce you winner!!  Wasn't for the want of trying though image

• I've just had a quick mooch through the reports and a HUGE HUGE HUGE well done to everyone, sounds like almost all of you hit your objectives and all had a great time (which is more important!).

And for all the virgins, welcome to the club image  Youu can all now hang around on the Dublin 08 thread saying "when I did my first..." and bore friends, relatives and random pub strangers with tales of the long side...!

• I've managed to twist every conversation that i have had since my return from Dublin round so that i could drop in a comment about the fact that i have just run my first mara!!  I swear i'm beginning to bore myself - & the rest of you zip it!!! lololol - I can already hear the 'dad gags' Liam & Andy!!

• Great photos.

PS - you are allowed to go on.  I haven't stopped and it was my 8th!!  Look forward to seeing you at more!