Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Fox - no, that wasn't me, you would have had a very funny look off someone if you'd asked!  I was indeed wandering around Oslo (fab place,highly reccomended, especially teh Ladies Floor in the Grand Hotel - clean your mind, it's nothing like that!!)

Things are only settling down now again but I have been reading the stories and you have all done incredibly (weither hitting times and targets or not).  As usual there are also some incredible times in there.  *Sigh* very very jealous here...

That said it is my b-day today and I have been playing with my new toy (who says a grown adult with kids is too old for a wii???) so I'll probably never post on here again!

Speaking of which we need to address the curse of teh thread starter...  2006 thread was started by SJ after an incredible run in the 2005 DCM.  Then he stopped posting because of injury problems.  2007 thread was started by Mr H and he stopped posting, because of injury problems...

Now I was going to suggest Barry K start 2008 because he did such a cracking job of coralling you all socially.  But with a view to the past I'm not sure I should!!

• Guys, tut-tut... don't you DARE give out about bad photoes.  I think anyone crossing a marathon line in a photo looks amazing!

(mind you I did have to trawl through six last year to find the most "flattering" -if such an adjective can be applied- one... well to be honest, one where I wasn't crying my eyes out or wiping snot off my nose ha-ha!, even if I hadn't I'd still love it though)

Just remember, crossing the line is a memory you'll never forget!... love those photoes! 

Roll on 2008 for more dodgy photoes (in the best possible taste of course!)

• Amadeus.. happy birthday!

good point about the hand of fate when it comes to first post and finishing!

Is there anyone who'd DEFINITELY not planning to run Dublin.. they can start the thread! 

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMADEUS! more cake all round! woooohooooooo!

lol re curse of the thread starter.... I could start the 08 thread as I won't be running it? image

• weird...where my quads both cramped they've both swollen up and are really puffy, and feel weird to touch! looks quite odd! guess I won't start running again until they're a normal size and consistency....  image

• Happy birthday Amadeus!!

Sorry LR - my mara photos are horrendous!! I look like a proper lard ball - all that carb loading gone wrong cos i didn't have a clue what i was doing LOL

• swollen up and are really puffy, and feel weird to touch!

Sounds like my "romantic" weekend image (that loud ringing was my smut alarm btw)...

• Ohhh and thank you for the birthday wishes, just send cash or cheques to the usual address...!

• Evening all...go on DTB...start the thread...don't forget to put in the fact that its not all about running...that we like a bit of cake!  (speaking of which happy birthday Oul Fella!!)

(did 3k in the pool and 15mile on the bike today...oh for the training that was marathon running!!image....)

...dtb...do you have any compression tights...that would help

(loving thoughts go out to our Smiley Lady who is in Florida right now and doing her IM on Sunday)

• ...ahem...did I mention that my daughter got engaged this weekend (yeah...thats how old I AM!!)...so next year looks like...Long Distance training Camp march 08....IMLZ May 08 and Wedding July 1st 08....image....Dublin marathon October 08...I might need to take up a part time job!!)
  • Well done to everyone! I look OK in my pics and not too fat but that was because I had a jacket tied round my waist!

Pink shoes- Hello! I'm the veggie one who turned up at the Porterhouse as you were tucking into your meaty dinner the other night! Allow me to answer your question- The Stockport 10 has 2 uphill bits (sounds marginally better than 'hills') but they are OK if you take them steady or do some hills in practice or preferably both. I coped OK and I am rubbish at hills. I look forward to doing White Peak with you. White Peak is a lot flatter than the Stockport 10 but longer, of course!

• GFB - is she on e-mail out there?  I meant to wish her good luck but have been up to my oxters and lost track of teh dates.

Engaged??? image  Wow, heavy?  You happy?  Mrs A gets wibbles when the kids went to thier aunts for teh weekend ("Oh my babies are growing up!!") so god knows how she'll be when they get engaged, especially if they do it young...

Hey -

Oul fella?  Who you calling an ould fella???!!

• ok kids, have taken the plunge, the 08 thread

is there when you're ready for it....

• oooh, congrats to GFB....scary...... image 

• GFB - no to compression tights - got flight socks but they won't reach my quads!
     Maybe I could put on an old pair of too-tight jeans lol....

Right, G'night! 

• photos ??? where ? tried asiphoto.com saw nice wedding pics thats all image 
  • pink shoes - you are so anatomically informed ! I wear running shoes a size bigger than my normal size , so dont know what causes this , it only seems to happen on maras almost like my body gives me medals as reminders
  • It's strange.  I had the thought of starting the thread but didn't want to due to what happened to Mr H.  I didn't realise the curse stretched further back than that.

Club 3.45 has been officially banned for 2008.  3.44 or 3.46 are much more sensible times to aim for (unlikely to be cursed either)

Happy birthday (Veteran?) Amadeus.

• Manchester Dunc - The photos are on asiorders.com. I only seem to have one so far - hope they find a few more of me!

BK - Agree about the 3:45 club! In retrospect it was a bit too optimistic for me on my first marathon but having not run the best race I could makes a PB all the more achievable next time 'round!

Not sure if I'll be running Dublin next year. I have a guaranteed entry for New York so I'm weighing up which one to go for.

It's good to see the 2008 thread has started already. If I'm not on the Dublin 2008 thread then I'll certainly been on Dublin 2009!

Thanks to everyone who posted such great advice over the past year.

• Jumping ship to the new 08 thread.  Hope to see you all over there!  Well done '07ers again.
  • URGENT REQUEST

Footage of the Dublin Mara is being shown on Setanta Ireland between 1800 and 1900.  I thought I was covered on my Sky package but I'm not.  Can anyone who has that channel possibly record it and burn to DVD for me, and then send or email.  I will pay any postage costs etc.

Cheers!!!!!

• could i also have a copy and i will cover any costs thanks
  • sorry havent been on all week but wanted to add my congrats to everyone for finishing on monday, so proud of everyoneimage

Belated Happy Birthday's to GFB & Amadeus & congrats to miss GFB too, mum told me a few days ago, def a busy year next year GFB

off to find the 08 thread now

• Pink Shoes - I gather your in the Rochdale area , got something you might be interested in , jump to 2008 thread image
  • fascinating photos - i cant see a finish one of you pink shoes - were you there ? image
  • Yo Rob , these bloody pictures are really anoying me , cant find overhead / finish photo
  • OOOOOh ROB are you doin Stockport 10 ? or are you into studying ?
  • Hey folks

Just back home after a fab few days recovering in Dingle, couldnt wait to jump on the thread and find out how everyone got on - a v v v v big well done to everyone, just quickly skimming over the latest posts it seems most folk had a good one.  I cant believe I can actually say out loud the words ' I have finished a marathon'.  I finished in 4.38 ( I think!)  and I loved every minute of it, felt strong all the way round and really proud of myself as I trained like a maniac for this!!!  I can't get over the support of the local people, it made the last few miles in particular just drift pass painlessly.  Got a bit disorientated at the end, once I had hooked up with my other half we wandered a bit trying to locate Kennedys but then the legs seized up pretty badly and a taxi for maryhillmoose was required!  Hope you all behaved!  Is there a 2008 thread - if there is I am definately jumping onto it, Dublin is the one for me next year - Ive got the bug now!

Best wishes to all, wherever your running takes you xxx

• when is stockport 10 Dunc?  applications ? link ? - it IS a possibility

just spotted the four villages 1/2 marathon Helsby- v popular, but when i had a place i got injured, ponders next races ... ABergele 5mile tomorrow ??

i went out for a run with Buckley runners on Thu night, ran at the back for 6 miles  with a newbie, he was a bit upset when my only 400yds now seemed like double to him image

welldone maryhillmoos, it was my 9th marathon & i finished in 4:37 chip time , very enjoyable

• I think I spotted your wife around mile 25, did you offload the daffodil onto her??!!!