Options

Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Options
    Hi SJ...that's why went to Belfast last week (Jordanstown), waiting on the results of MrGFB's tests. Yes you do go to exhaustion and it ain't pretty! (Lots of sweat, slabbers and a few tears!!)
  • Options
    nice toy SJ!

if you're looking for somewhere to buy cheap spare memory cards, www.ebuyer.co.uk usually have good deals...

oh and can you set up a webcam so we can see your test? sounds like amusing viewing! ;-)
  • Options
    www.7dayshop.com is very cheap for memory cards too.....

• Options
    Thanks DTB

I'm normally not much of a gadget man (unlike many) but I do find some things at least aesthetically pleasing despite the fact their technical workings are a source of complete mystery to me.

My nightmare Xmas present would be a Garmin - far too bulky (I have very thin wrists for a guy) and all that data would just make my ears bleed. Sat Nav belongs in the car and nowhere else imho. Except maybe Google Earth. Or on the Pizza delivery boys moped come to think of it.

Mrs SJ wants a Prada handbag. I thought that sounded uncharacteristically reasonable until I checked out the £££ - do they fill them will jewellery first?

You're making me nervous GFB. What actually happens in one of these tests? I have visions of being on my hands and knees by the end of it! (which makes DTB's webcam request a complete non-starter in the interests of public decency).

SJ

P.S. Where the tears coming from you laughing at the poor unfortunate Mr GFB?
  • Options
    SJ, is Mrs SJ likely to be able to spot a fake Prada ?
    Just an idea... ;o)
  • Options
    HH -

At 800m.

In the dark.

SJ
  • Options

Besides, I think I'd quite like to have sex again some time before I die and if that tactic you've suggested were to back-fire (as it inevitably would) I could look forward to changing my name to Mr Celibate for the balance of my time on earth.

SJ
  • Options
    i love my garmin - not for any of the useful data, but just for the way I can see my route on a picture of the earth - have emailed mr H with the satellite photos of Dublin marathon, so maybe he'll put them up - looks gorgeous!

I've got some Prada at reasonable (ish) prices from dress agencies in the past - they've been worn once or twice by someone very wealthy, and then I can pick them up for not much more than the price of something high street!

not sure that 'previously enjoyed' is good for Christmas pressies though - with the exception of vintage jewellery.......which is actually very good value, as the designs are often lovely, and you get more bling for your buck....

right, off to achieve something with my day now!
  • Options
    For treadmill they start you off at a reasonable pace, up it while testing your lactic threshhold and your HR and perceived effort. VO2 can be either at the same time or seperately.

Then they start upping the incline until you want to die. ;o)

If you really want to know absolutes (max HR and your thresholds) be prepared to give everything. I've done one once (years ago,and I was REALLY unfit) and it was very hard work.

I'm scheduled for one in about 2 weeks *sob*
  • Options
    The tears were because he was so brave! And I was proud!! Only kidding!!
  • Options
    Hi, Been out of the office all day and have a 7pm lecture off campus...... I'll answer everybodies queries tomorrow morning :-)

SJ, there are also needles involved in the VO2 ....
  • Options
    ...unless you won't pay!

I have a confession to make...*hides head in shame* I love America's Next Top Model...and *really ashamed now*...the X Factor.

But *just to show that it's not every reality tv programme* I can't stand I'm a Celebrity...and Strictly Come Dancing.

Phew!! It's good to get that out in the open!!
  • Options
    SL -

<Pulls on his best Big Girls Blouse>

No way! I'm not having that. I don't do needles. If they want blood I'll bring along a bottle of Rioja - not a perfect match but close enough for their purposes.

I've done enough bleeding for my sport in 2006, tyvm.

GFB -

You are amongst friends. At least where X-Factor is concerned that is. What on earth you see in that other bollox is certainly lost on me.

As for I'm a celebrity.... Saw the opening titles of the first show in the new series last night.

Mrs SJ and I pooled our entertainment knowledge and came up with 3/10 between us so if the seven mystery guests would care for a second opinion I think they'd be disappointed to discover that they are, in fact, not.

Strictly Come Dancing scares me. The women all look plastic and the men look like they'd rather be dancing with each other. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Ahem.

SJ ;)

P.S. On the subject of confessions - at weekends my name is Mandy and yes, before you ask, I have been drinking. Again.
  • Options
    The problem with Strictly Come Dancing is they make such a song and dance about it.
  • Options
    Motoring Question for Amadeus

Q. Are BMW 5-Series really any good?

Have reserved an option on one early in the New Year but the problem is the colour. It is Amethyst. BMW describe it as a metallic cappuccino. Without having the benefit of their rose-tinted spectacles (or a Marketing persons’ nauseating vocabulary of contemporary corporate-speak) I see it as dog-poo brown.

I much prefer the Audi S4 in black which will be available shortly after.

SJ

P.S. When responding, please do not refer to either car as:

1. Possessing gender.
    2. Anything other than a functional machine.
    3. The object of your sexual fantasies.
    4. Capable of attracting members of the opposite sex.

Well, all except for that last one, obviously.
  • Options
    Andy F -

That's a definite "get your coat" gag but in view of the hour and fact that there's only two of us around, I'll make an exception and let you stay.

Pass us that corkscrew would you, please?

Grab a glass whilst for yourself whilst you're at it.

SJ
  • Options
    Yeah sorry about that SJ. You won't tell the others will you ?

I'm just off for a drink and then a lie down.
  • Options
    Vino blanco por favor!! (Spanish class test tomorrow)
  • Options
    ...I'll pour me own then....
  • Options

Sorry I'm a bit late GFB, here, let me....

<pours GFB a glass of something Spanish whilst blushing>

Just been ordering some new gear on line.

In a moment of complete madness, I've just bought my first pair of Fell Shoes (I live about 1.5 miles from the famous Rivington Pike) <where?>

Just need to learn how to run quickly downhill now. And up for that matter, actually.

SJ

P.S. Meant to say earlier - for those who hadn't realised, iPods and water do not like each other. I know this. (RIP) <sniff>
  • Options
    for hills see here...I know you live in Lancashire and all that...but THESE are hills!!

MrGFB got (ordered) new bike shoes today...I can strike them off the Crimbo list!
  • Options
    GFB -

On the subject of hills....

Under duress I have accepted a club call to do a leg of the famous Calderdale Way relay on 10th December.

The race is six legs, totalling 50 miles and climbs 5000 ft. Runners go out in pairs (for safety reasons) and you have to carry the following:

1. Full body cover
    2. Food
    3. A Compass
    4. A Map
    5. A Torch
    6. High visibility clothing
    7. A whistle to attract attention

If you fail to produce these at registration, you're immediately disqualified.

I only have one question....

Why do I answer the phone when I've been drinking?

SJ
  • Options
    I would be ok in that race...I carry 6 out of 7 of those things at most times anyway!!
  • Options
    Thank God for that!

Here, have this...

<passes GFB race number>

Phew!

SJ
  • Options
    ....having said that...does having lots of food on you count as maybe 4/7??
  • Options
    Only if you're a marshall GFB!

Looks like I'm still in it then, drat.

My running partner is a former UK Biathlon (run and cycle?) Champ. so I've suggested he adds the following to his list:

8. A full Thermos flask.
    9. The Sunday Times (including supplements)

These old knees aren't what they used to be so he'll have some time to kill waiting on me to descend!

SJ
  • Options
    How many miles are you running each week now?
  • Options
    Shhhh GFB....it's a secret!

80 last week but very unpredictable. Some runs on my toes, others on my knees. No quality stuff yet, all core CV work.

Nice to be out there all the same.

Confidence currently lacking but hopefully soon to return.

SJ
  • Options
    Ahh....but the current in vogue thing is to be confident!! Positive thinking and action...well, that's what I'm doing anyway!!

I've got to go..someone...hopefully one of the girls!!..has left McFly on, on STUN on one of the CD players...you know "Don't Stop Me Now" is a brilliant song...but not when done by the young fellas!!

Nite all and peace! (well after I knock McFly off anyway!!)
  • Options
    Who turned the lights off?