Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Flynn,

Thanks for confirming. May also have a slim chance at FLM now - am on the reserve list for a charity I ran for last year. Either way will be at the Halstead start line on the 13th May!
  • I am hoping to be there again this year, was my first and only marathon so far last year and it was a fantastic experience, i have never been offered so many sweets, the marshalls were fantastic with there encouragement, the undulations were fine the first time around but were definitely bigger on round 2 and that cheeky one at 24 miles had me walking most of the rest of the way. my aim this year is to not walk any of it and to get sub 3.30.
    am also planning to enter bungay and have a place at flm ( thanks to halstead for the gfa time). figured i might as well use the same training and get the 3 in close together then i can concentrate on increasing my speed at shorter distances the rest of the year.
    saying that though i have been dogged by illness and injury the last 6 weeks so my training has not really started yet. hoping i can catch up soon and acheive that elusive sub 3.30!
  • right im in looking to better 4:12 mins at the iow last year
  • I've entered too. Hoping to get under 4 hours.
  • My money's paid too. Pairing this with Bungay 6 weeks earlier. Got 4.16 here last year so closer to 4.00 at one or both of these would be nice.
  • Your entry is received mate.

I shall see you at Bungay as well then, looks like my FLM place never came through the Bungay is an excellent alternative.

Are you doing either Benfleet or Bury?
  • Thanks Flynn.

Benfleet is a possibility although I've just joined the club so I might be marshalling instead.

Bury always seems to clash with something - I'll look it up.

I've run the half at Bungay a couple of times and promised myself a go at the full sometime so we'll see what happens - that long run back on the second lap will be tough, I imagine, especially if the wind is blowing a bit. They haven't got a thread - I'll give it a week and if no-one else has I'll start one.
  • I forgot to mention that you can check the current entry status for the marathon online on our website.
  • Hi there

was considering this race but, as it'll be my first marathon and I'm really quite scared at the prospect can anyone give me anymore information e.g. how many laps, just what 'undulating' means...i.e. 'killer inclines' or just 'gradual slopes'...plus any other experiences from this race you might like to share :)

many thanks

Tara
  • Alot of us have run this race as our first marathon so it has been done. Running your first marathon is certainly daunting but with the right preparation it's certainly acheivable.

"Undulating" means it's not flat and it's not hilly. Very rarely on the course is it flat you gently go down one slope and gently up another. People tend to agree that on the first circuit you don't notice the undulations. You certainly do on the second though, but then the second half of any marathon is harder that the first half. :)

You wont find a friendlier race in which to run your first marathon.
  • Rejected by FLM too. Friend tried to convince me to run this one. Also quite scared by the term "undulating". Can't find the course profile on your website. Is it somewhere? My half M was arounf 2h, will 5 hour limit enough for me?
  • Don't be worried by 'undulating' you two - this might persuade you: My PB is 4.13 which I got at Cardiff last year - Cardiff is pancake flat. My time at Halstead last year was 4.16. I was in ok shape at the end of both of them.

Halstead is a great marathon course to run - undulations give your body a chance to change its pace and dispostion every now and then whereas flat courses seem to pound away . . .

Train well and take it easy on the day - you'll love it (mostly!).
  • ooooooooooh

halstead :D

I did this as my first marathon

turned up on the day with less than adequate training for the 15 mile opt out option

and ran the marathon distance instead, just to get a medal.

lovely course, very small field of runners though so if you aren't a speedy type with the main field you need to be mentally prepared to run most if not all of it on your own.

but it's possible

but when I say slow I mean plus 5 hours :/
  • Thanks for your feedback guys, to be honest when it comes to crowds I can take em or leave em, most of my runs are done on my own which is usually a good thing as I seem to get way over-competitive when there's others around! Plus I like running to loud thrashy music...especially with my new toy - the miniscule ipod shuffle, fabulous invention!!

So this is definitely looking like a near positive choice for me but will wait a) until after my 10 mile race this weekend to see how I feel then; and b) until completion on my new house which should be in the next month - wouldn't want my number going to the wrong address!

it's all very scary and exciting really!
  • xiaolin Wu:

We don't have a course profile at the moment but we're working on one. I shall try and dig out a course description from discussions on previous years.

Even if you take more than 5 hours you will not be abandoned on the course. We take care of our runners but we also have a responsibility to our volunteer marshalls as well hence the 5 hour time limit.

Tara.:

It's me who sends out the entry packs so just keep me informed here or via email as to what address you want it sent to.
  • Hi everyone

This is very useful. Guess what...I too applied for FLM to no avail and am thinking about either this one or Stratford.

I too am scared by the word "undulating" - I know from experience that it can mean so many things! I did FLM last year in 3:46 (my first marathon) and want a crack at 3:30 and I feel the meaning of "undulations" may be a critical in finding those extra 15 minutes.

But from the entries in this thread it look as though Halstead could be the one for me. Now, where are those running shoes...
  • Thanks everyone! Now I am convinced and going to fill the form. Flynn, can I get a medal even I run more than 5 hours, please.
  • You cross the finishing line, you get a medal. That's the way it works. :)
  • XW:

Your entry has been received.
  • Evening all.... have read back and been impressed by what people have said. I was going to do Copenhagen to break my marathon virginity, but, based on what everyone has said on here made a quick decision and entered!! Training has already started... Watford Half in a few weeks closely followed by Dover Half (must be nuts) these will be a good indicator of pace.. I suspect, based on 2 x previous races (Ashford 10k and Thanet 10) I might be shadowing HeresJonny round the course as we finished both of the above within an arms length of each other!!

Really looking forward to it..... doubtless will chat more as the time approaches.
  • PSC:

Your entry has been received.
  • like the fetch top PSC, do you have the same name on there?
  • Hi Red T.. yep, same name (and picture I think). You have Fetch-mail!

Cheers Flynn - impressed with the efficiency!
  • All part of the service mate. If you have any problems, queries or need any info at all about the race then just contact me.
  • is there a limit of 500 this year Flynn and if so how are the entries going?
    I have been dogged with injury and illness so dont want to enter till i am sure i'm fit but dont want to miss the boat either.
  • RT:

The entry limit has been raised to 750 and we're up to about 100 so far.
  • The latest information about who has entered the race this year can be found here:

http://halsteadroadrunners.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58
  • Flynn,

Am I being silly - the link is asking for a log in??????????????

Training continues well - 6x800m this morning in the freezing cold!
  • SS:

Apologies for that.

I had created the 2007 entrants list in a section of our site which required you to have registered as a member. I have now moved the 2007 Entrants list to a public accessible area so you have no need to register now.

You're welcome to register if you want to get more involved with the marathon as all the organisers use these forums. (And if you enter the marathon as well you get access to post in this dedicated area for 2007 Entrants)