Right, no slacking! training Tuesday 25th Feb

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

What: Nothing - rest day.
    Why: Tuesday is a scheduled rest day for me.
    Last hard: Yesterday - 5 miles at tempo pace.
    Last rest: Sunday (I know, I know - it should have been my long run day but my schedule was messed up by having to miss Friday's run, which I did Saturday, then realised I'd end up running three days in a row, so skipped Sunday. Bad Minkin! Slap wrists!)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Laura-I much prefer to sit and stuff the fruit cake I just enjoyed. Also, should be studying for my OU course, but being off work sort of makes me think that includes studying. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

CK-it's good to rest when you're tired!
  • not much training going on here

cycle to work and back
  • Yup, shorter faster day.

Freakette, if you were doing 40 mpw with 15 mile + long runs then ca 3 week gap shouldn't do a lot of harm. The trick will be not to try and catch up by adding too much distance at once ! Interested that recovery has continued despite continuing speedwork etc, I find this can give quite a pounding to the system and trying to do this plus extend distance at the same time could cause recurred trouble. Keeping off hard surfaces helps too.

What: 7.5 - 8 miles with 5 - 6 miles tempo in the middle
    Why: Bright & sunny
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Sunday
  • Evening

What: 23 miles 3hrs 24 long run
    Why: missed it at the weekend

Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Monday
  • Mr C - cheers for the advice. I tend to find that speedwork takes a lot out of my system too, but my aim was to complete the key sessions of each week and cut out the rec. runs, etc. in place of complete rest/x-training...it seems to be working on everything but the shinsplints!

Am doing the softer surfaces thing though; I do a 2hr bus journey to Richmond park for many of my runs when time allows! My area is a nightmare for running on anything other than concrete; every decent sized park is at least 1 bus away, and the local track may as well be concrete!!! In the course of an average speed session on one of the few nearby fields, I'll lap it ziiiiiiiillions of times - almost as bad as treadmill running!!

Laura - thanks for the advice to you also...sadly my last bike session included flinging myself out onto an intersection going round a corner, so my bike's a bit poorly at the mo!!! I'm actually trying out a XC-skiing machine, as it's supposed to use more 'running' muscles, so we'll see what that does I guess!

Sarcy - youch!!!!!!!! Well done!!
  • Evening all,

What: Bad day!!!! Had meant to do five lots of 2kms in 8mins with 2.5 min recovery in between and 15 mins warm up and 10 mins warm down. Abandonned in the fourth 2kms half way through with terrible stitch which I do not normally get. Suspect it may be as tired from baby waking up at night, lots of work and fact I did this at lunchtime not having had chance to even eat breakfast. Result - first unaccomplished session for quite some time and annoyed with myself.

Why: Hard speed session

Last hard: Sunday time trial

Last rest: Saturday

Simon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Don't be too tough on yourself SiT! From what you say it sounds as if you're weren't best prepared for this session with not eating and a disturbed night. I'm sure you'll find your next session much better.

I abandoned a session last week due to windy conditions and was cross with myself thinking fancy stopping running because of a bit of wind! But sometimes we have to allow for disruptions.

Good luck next time!!
  • What: 15 min warm up: the hills - 8 reps 20+ mins - then remaining 25 at quite a good pace - felt good
    Why: Was meant to be 1hr 15min hard speed sesh - but yet again time management issues on the Snicks household!
    Last easy: Sunday's circuits class
    Last rest: yesterday

Big time management issues big this week - any inspirational speakers or life coaches out there?
  • BTW - hope you enjoyed the rest Hilly, 35 miles in three days - wow, Laura, I'm impressed. Sarcs - superb effort! Everyone, well done
  • Plucked up courage to post

attempted speed session on tready

erm, cant go into details

Yasso 400-1200s(well 1200 once)

With 300 m walk recoveries

Felt hard

2% incline

I suppose i did 5 miles

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: had planned to do 10 x 800's but after the 6th, which just scraped under 3:00, decided to stop. Legs hadn't recovered fully from Sunday's long run. Means I can do slightly more than planned tomorrow
    Why: speed session
    Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest day: long time ago!

Snicks, if you're looking for an inspirational speaker don't ask me! Most of the people who have attended my presentations have either fallen asleep or fallen about laughing (not quite sure which I prefer!)
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hippo, that's quite a tough session to attempt - and you did it! Well done.
  • erm, at 9kph for the speed??????????
    I don think so

Getting worse, cant keep blaming th 2% incline

Cant do prolonged speed
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hippo, maybe you should just focus on your base fitness and forget about the speed sessions for now. Speed work is very tough, but it's made even harder if your overall fitness level isn't high enough.

What do you think?
  • I agree
    its my overall fitness level

Its maddening, cos i try so hard, and dont want to know im crap

Im training 5 times a week
  • I think you're right Drew. Hippo you're too hard on yourself! As for you Drew. I'm always inspired!
  • And doing second marathon, and want to do better
    IE not walk 13 miles
  • You will, you've been training hard and regularly. Have you got a time in mind?
  • sub 5 hours, and id die of happiness

I cant BUT do a PB

Ive done more training now than id done for first marathon

Id never even run 30 continuous minutes then

My longest run was 13 miles run/walk ONCE on tready

Dont know how i got round, well i do
    it was me brain wot did it
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Do you follow any training plans Hippo?
  • Cringe, well

Im trying to do the RW sub 4.30, only cos there isnt a sub 5

managing 3/4 of it
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Which 1/4 of the schedule don't you do?
  • well, i cant do the prolonged speed sessions

tonight, we had to do 1.5 miles at speed, times 3

And my long runs are a problem, 13 miles instead of 16, but i had done a 52 hour shift before

I do on call 1-2 x week, it makes it tricky
  • I don't want to butt in when Drew's in action, but Hippo, that sounds fine. RW schedules are tough. Coming up for my third and have not stuck to them on any week - but achieved what I wanted to. Over to the expert...
  • Oh, and in addtion to the one missed nights sleep a week, i drink like a fish and am 3 stone overweight

Amazing i can walk
  • well that killed the thread

Sorry
    nite
  • Ahh hippo, come back to plodders... we miss youuuuuu....
  • And I think you're just amazing... as are all us tubby plodders...