Garmin FR 305 How many units have you had?

Comments

• Those little penguin feet, must of been really going for it.
  • Yanner, have you installed V2.90 of the GPS chipset software on your 305?
  • 6th FR305 - Recovery Runner
    5th FR 305 - Hot Tub Alci
    3rd FR 305 - Harry Hedgehog
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Stripeyhorse
    1st FR 305 - Snails
    1st FR 305 - Keith M Stuart
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - SteveBe (since Spring)

The thing worked flawlessly from May 'til Oct then poof no tones, so no interval taining, no warning tones etc...
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    1st FR 305 - Snails
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet

Had no problems with it since I got it in the spring.
    It has only ever lost reception once...(mile 23 of a marathon!)
    Just updated to v 2.50
  • Stet, thanks so much for the info, I have updated mine as well. will post it on the main thread as well

cheers
    sf
  • Are the problems people describe specific to the FR305 or is the FR205 similarly plagued?

I only ask because (crazily) I've half thought of getting a 205 (again) because I could use it mountain biking / skiing too....
  • I have no idea but I think with all these updates the new generation of garmins is reaching its adulthood... I expect less and less problems with my unit(s). and if you have a good supplier, then all the problems are swiftly resolved anyway - I never had to wait more than 2-3 days for my new unit (I bought it from ebay, the shop is called 'directwebretail or sth, over 3000 positive feedback.)
  • Scary, thats the same place I got mine from - They are brilliant !!!
  • Fishweb, erm, I have never updated the unit so I don't know what version its using. Its been fine until the last 2 weeks, always worked so not meddling is my IT motto! A full reset is going to be first "fix" and then the firmware update.

Does anyone know what the most stable firmware is?
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet

Sorry to say I have just moved up the ranks! 305 died today after 2 miles of a run. No rain; no excuse - looked down to check HR - dead as a doornail with no warning. Tried recharging/cleaned the contacts....zippo!

Bah Humbug !!
  • No offence but I'm soon to have a 205 arriving, and I hope the same fault track record as I've seen here doesn't happen with mine!
  • New record for me, 432 miles covered in 33.22 minutes. Does Garmin think penguins have afterburners?

Also went for a run along a beach yesterday, 2 miles of unbroken sand, clear sight lines to the sky AND I'd reset and re-discovered all satellite connections before setting off. Should work, no? Erm, no. Could not maintain a lock and a 4 and a bit mile jaunt turned into a 10 miler in 40 minutes. (if only that were true).

Bit of a useless gadget if a few clouds scuppers the connection.
  • Come on please copy list into new message and ADD your own details, High No's @ the top working down to one at the bottom :)

Any comments from Garmin employees watching this thread?

6th FR 305 - Recovery Runner
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet
  • Still on 5th, but since I had this one I have worn it over a long t shirt - something you could not possibly do in the summer. but it seems to make it work longer.
  • HTA, there is an implication here that the problems you have had with some of your previous 4 have been related to the electro-coated contacts. Is this the case? If so, are you aware of the various recommendation to either wear the FR over a sweatband (a viable option for the summer, I guess), or to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser?
  • I've always worn my 305 over a sweat band as I found it so damn uncomfortable without it, guess I got lucky on that "fix".

First run last night after the WebUpdate of the GPS software and it's good news to report, the Garmin lost gps lock once but gained it back within 5 seconds. There was a bit of wandering around when I reviewed the map in sporttrak but nothing that wasn't easily fixed, fingers crossed for the future!
  • Fishy the rubber never extended the life of the unit, only made it have shiny contacts!

2 of the units one day just failed to turn on (both race days as well), the other 2 were it would only work if plugged into the craddle
  • Might as well add mine in there - looks like I'm lucky with only my second.

6th FR 305 - Recovery Runner
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    2nd FR 305 - pants Ants
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet
  • I was really contemplating this piece of kit but wanted something that was less hassle than tying my laces - revised list to Santa !
  • look, Paul, don't give up so easily! when it's working, it's an excellent piece of kit (quite addictive to be honest) and offers so much that I think it's worth the eventual hassle. And there are loads of people out there who haven't had any problems. A good shop to buy it from is direct_web_retail on ebay. I got mine from them, and Hot Tub Alci as well.

cheers
    sf
  • Paul, I agree with Scary - I'll give you their phone number if you want, and they swop out without hassle if you have any.
  • Despite the hassle of the 305 giving up after 7 months - when I returned it to Garmin -no problems - new unit arrived today - thats 6 days from sending the faulty one.

Would have preferred it not to go wrong..... but service was very good - and I really missed it!!! Would buy it again - just wish I knew that they had solved the problem.
  • Yanner, have you seen the replacement velcro strap for the 305/205?
    It covers the whole back of the unit so it wont get sweaty and is much more comfortable than the strap it comes with!
  • Hi Stet, where can you get the replacement FR 305 strap from?
  • Hi Harry, I got mine from wiggle.com

• Sorry, that should be wiggle.co.uk

!
  • It seems that load of people have had problems. Does anyone know if this is a high percentage of unit sales? Anyone regret buying one? If you had to buy again, would it be this one or another make?
  • yep, I'd buy another 305 if I had to.
  • no regrets. would not hesitate to buy it again.

go for it.
  • Even though its been a pain in the arse, I would buy again - there isnt anything else close.

I had the velcro strap from wiggle but couldnt see how the hell you fitted it so sent it back. Was I being stupid?