Garmin FR 305 How many units have you had?

Comments

• Thanks for the info, do you think they have more or less sorted out the main problems or are there still as many today as 6 months ago?
  • Update: Since the GPS firmware upgrade the 305 has been behaving much better, the upgrade process was painfree and the unit is working much better. I would recommend getting the latest patches if you are having problems.

I would definitely get another unit. I forgot it for a weekend and was lost without it. Not literally obviously although it is nice to know it could help if I was...

Not worried about a new strap, I find using the sweat band no hassle so will stick to it. Good to know Garmin do seem to be listening to the user base so "good on them".
  • Second one going back today. A cocerned Garmin 305 owner
  • First one gone back today after 800km of trouble free action.
  • Just a quick recap:

6th FR 305 - Recovery Runner
    5th FR 305 - Hot Tub Alci
    3rd FR 305 - Harry Hedgehog
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    3rd FR 305 - John Battersby 3
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Stripeyhorse
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    2nd FR 305 - pants Ants
    2nd FR 305 - Bedders
    1st FR 305 - Keith M Stuart
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - SteveBe (since Spring)
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet

Hope you all had a good Christmas and HopefullY we'll have a trouble free New Year with our FR 305's

Perhaps asking just a bit too much though :)
  • O.M.G. What have I done...... Just bribed Mrs to splash the cash for crimbo and then find this thread!

Hope I dont have troube with it - shes a bit of a demon shopper - red mist here she comes.

Touchwood, no problems as yet and very impressed with it, a gadget that actually provides tools that states.

One question, does anyone know how to print out the data from training centre, and also what format the files are downloaded in?

Lee
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    2nd FR 305 - pants Ants
    2nd FR 305 - Bedders
    2nd FR 305 - Kwaka
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet

Got my first one in May 06 and it lasted 2 mths. Got it replaced by Garmin after a bit of messing about because I'd originally got it from the US on eBay.

The second one has performed fine until this week when it started beeping frantically on a run, although the info downloaded Ok and then I had trouble uploading another lot of info from my run yesterday. Could have just been computer trouble the second time tho.
  • I'm on my third since June so I decided with the shop it was not fit for purpose and exchanced plus cash back for a polar 400, I have to say no GPS but much more reliable!!!
  • Lee, Don't panic, its a wonderful toy.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    I have been using a Garmin for over 2 years first a 201 and now a 305 and they both have been great. It has been a serious motivator and as I travel a lot, it has been neat to have a log, maps and sat pics of all of my runs around the world.
    Lee,
    The export format of the Training Center software is xml, readable but very verbose.
    I do have a viewer for it if you are interested. The upload format from the 305 etc is close to NEAMA but with some Garmin extensions so hard to interface to. Garmin do publish an SDK on their website but it is very heavy going.
    Mick
  • Three plus an RMA number for a fourth, thats when decided enough is enough!!
  • My fifth died on Sunday. I am waiting to see what Garmin do about it. I'll keep you posted.

5th FR 305 - Snapstinget
    3rd FR 305 - Scary Fairy
    2nd FR 305 - Derby Boy
    2nd FR 305 - Dek
    2nd FR 305 - Fishyweb
    2nd FR 305 - Beetle
    2nd FR 305 - Snails
    2nd FR 305 - pants Ants
    2nd FR 305 - Bedders
    2nd FR 305 - Kwaka
    1st FR 305 - JivinJizz
    1st FR 305 - Redkite
    1st FR 305 - Yanner
    1st FR 305 - Stet
  • Snapstinget

Before you send each one back do you ever try a soft or hard reset. This normally clears 90% of problems. If you are not sure of the button sequence to do the resets let me know.
  • Lisa Fox 4 - have you seen Kev's post on the other thread? BTW FYI I don't send them back, either. I am extremely fortunate in that respect and I suspect I receive considerably better service than most. This time round I just stopped off at Garmin on my morning run to pick up a new unit.

Sometimes the battery plays up and the resets won't play ball. You can sometimes sort it by placing the unit in the cradle and trying to "find" it from TC. But this time it just wasn't going to happen.

Mind you I know from our local sportsd shop that good Garmin service isn't just restricted to me; they've had very few people come in with problems that couldn't be dealt with via a reset but those problems were always resolved (i.e. a replacement) within 24 hours.

This is why I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product despite my apparent bad karma. It is a fab training tool (and I say so as a dedicated Polar fan as well).
  • I was considering buying a Garmin 305 but having read through this thread I am gutted.

If it is the same problem for lots of 305's you would think they would solve it before it leaves the factory?

Oh but I do want one! To buy or not that is the question.

• ptricia, me too. I fancy one but dont want a lemon thats always on the blink. would users say that some of the probs have been sorted once and for all?
  • hi.

i am on my third 305 and this one, especially since the software upgrades, works really fine.

and although when your garmin gives up on you, it is a very unpleasant feeling, your dealer (make sure you choose a good one!) will sort out the problems very quickly for you.

it also went down in price - you can get one for less than 200 pounds from sweatshop.

go and get yourself one :)
  • Well that's me on my second one as of now (replacement arrived just then)...and hopefully no more!
  • I would like to draw attention to a fault though which my last one had which I don't want to happen to my new one, and hopefully other people who have their's.

On the back of the unit, the far left charging dot had gone a black colour (seemingly rust) yet I never left it wet from water or sweat when I used it. I think this caused problems with the USB recognising it then it eventually failed to turn on. Now I have a new unit I don't potentially want that same problem to happen again but how to go around it I'm not sure. Keep an eye on it all who have one though.
  • Stuart, just a thought here. What colour is the charging dot as new? Is it a slighly matt silver? If so, it's possible that the contact may be silver plated. If this is the case, the blackening is most likely silver sulphide. Do you do road running where there's a fair amount of traffic?
  • The colour of the dot as new is more of a light bronze colour. It just gradually blackened on the last unit, and while could be scraped off, it didn't help it's functioning apparently.

I do do road running in areas of traffic, as I live in Glasgow. While not the city centre, there is still usually a flow of traffic near me when I'm out running.
  • Well, it was just a theory. I don't know what the plating alloy is on the contacts. I reckon there is a chance that the black is sulphide, possibly from traffic exhausts, in combination with a warm and moist situation. OTOH, I don't know why removing the deposit would not help.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Stuart,
    this is a commonly reported problem on other chat lines. The accepted cure seems to be the use of a rubber tipped pencil.
    Mick
  • Damn!!! I've just ordered my first 305!! I was really debating between a 201 and a 305 .... if only I'd read this thread first!!!

• Or wearing a rubber arm band (as many do these days) is another I think, Mick.

A sign that this unit is better is that uploads to motionbased are instant when the device is plugged into the PC. Before, I was finding it would take a lot longer to access and send the data from the unit when the charging dot started to darken.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Pavey,
    I used the 201 for about two years and I have had the 305 for the last six months.
    It is superior in many ways. More reliable in tree coverage, Puts down twices as many trackpionts per mile, synchs quicker, uploads to the pc quicker and the most significant for me the built in HRM.
    I don't think you will regret your choice.
    Mick
  • On the other hand, the 301 also has the HRM, upload time is insignificant in the big scheme of things, and is available for a very good price right now.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    True, and if your budget is tight that would be the way to go.
    I have 550 runs logged on the Garmins. 400 or so on the 201 and the rest on the 305. If you compare the quality of the positional data collected after running many times on the same course you will see a major difference in the data between the two devices. I don't really care too much about how precise the distance measurement is but I do care that it is consistent. The 305 is dramatically more consistent.
    Mick
  • Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones and it won't break down on me!!