Sunday 26th November 2006

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    NZC - yes I know sub 39 is not to be sniffed at. I'm just the normal competitive runner who gives herself a hard time if she doesn't achieve her goals:-)

Tom - I agree with your analysis. Funnily enough we've been looking at pre FLM build up races and were tossing up between Dewsbury 10k in Feb and Salford 10k in April for me to attempt a pb. Realistically I know I'm not in that kind of shape at the moment.

RFJ - well raced.

Stickless - looking after my back is always important to me. I've eased off a lot in the last couple of weeks to allow it to get better. I never take risks anymore.
  • Isn't triathlon much more civilised ?

Been to buy a new bike today (retail therapy) and decided to enter london. Enter details on-line pay and I'm in.

No ballot, no searching for a charity place, no waiting for the club draw bizarre.

Not too much to say about x country (not really feeling 100% think I've caught something from my diseased kids) but at least I tied my laces.

Sufficed to say it's all to play for in the last one. Just between two of us now though.
  • Evening folks.

Some excellent reports, and great to see so many of them accentuating the positives...

BR - a great return to form - well done! And a decent time from Treadmill too.

Hilly - a solid run, but you know with the right prep there's more to come...looking forward to next year's sub-38 report!

Drew - fantastic! You've had a rough spell, so great to see the revised training paying dividends.

Micksta - another good XC run.

AF - sorry your race never went to plan...as Tom says, you've got the basics very much in place, just need to get the fine tuning right. Be careful your streak doesn't detract from the overall effect of your excellent training...a day or two off here and there might bring the mojo back.

Tom/Stickless - great stuff in the relay.

Well done to all other racers.

Myself? I just headed out for a steady 4.2 miles in 30 mins this morning. Some more lovely weather here in Glasgow. Followed the run up with the drudgery of an afternoon traipsing round Ikea and B&Q. At least I got home in time for the footy!

Have a good evening.
  • wow lots happening today

fab run from drew at leeds, you must be delighted and looking good for start of flm training
    good solid race wardi
    br - lovely performance and a minute ahead of yourself
    hilly - still a good time though you are obviously disappointed on not being in condition for the pb attempt - there's always next time

xerxes - and a christopher dean impression! yes, i use walshes on the XC find them more forgiving than spikes

micksta - sounding very stron esp in second half

AF - but weren't you feeling dodgy this week?

stickless/tom - mud! lost count of how many in your team but 45 mins faster than last year - pats on back all round!

RFJ - sounded like damned hard work but you made a good go of it

race report from me -
    Salford women’s 5.25 miler

Went as a late entry, no team and not a league race so fairly relaxed about it and tried 2 different things ; firstly I didn’t have my usual pre race evening meal (won’t be trying that again!) and secondly I wore the hrm for the first time ever in a race – didn’t look at it till after but useful data, will definitely try this again.
    Built in some getting lost time and didn’t get lost so arrived horribly early and had a good warm up, 3 visits to the portaloos and bought some socks - well it would be rude not to. Also spoke to starter who said it’s accurately measured and a barr standard.
    Rough plan is 7.30 miling and anything inside 40 mins I’ll be reasonably happy with.
    First part of the course had some downhill stretches , then the inevitable uphills resulting in the inevitable splits…
    Mile 1 7.01 160 feel comfortable and some seconds in hand
    Mile 2 7.21 166 settling into a rhythm now, feel good
    Mile 3 7.43 166 starting to find the uphill bits and slowing
    Mile 4 7.55 167 some testing inclines
    Mile 5 8.02 167 b***d hills in this bit!!
    Plus .25 40 mins 168 pig of a finish

From about half way it was me and a skelmersdale harrier battling it out – me going ahead on the downhill bits, her on the uphills. Shame it was an uphill finish – she beat me by 3 seconds.
    27th position out of 186
    Great race, very well organised and marshalled and nice memento water bottle to all finishers, one to do again.

Found it interesting how my heart rate was so steady and at roughly 92% - any comments on if this is ‘normal’ or otherwise will be very welcome please?

Got lost on the way home.
  • Good effort clink. I'd find 94-95% for a 10k when really fresh and tapered. Are you sure on your max?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm at home so reading back takes at least a day so well done to all who raced this weekend. I'm still suffering for the cricket.

What: 11.6 miles including a 10K race in 42.18 doing a spot of pacing to be useful.
    Why: I offered to pace but had a run to do.
    Last hard: yesterdays track session
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: NO
  • BR - thanks for that - i get high 170's in hard training sessions but haven't pushed that hard since the achilles problem (august) so still using 180.
    if i can get the mileage up over the coming months and do a couple of key sessions a week i think it will give me a better chance of gauging true max.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Legionella - sorry to hear you're feeling a bit under the weather. BR says he may be able to keep up with you on club runs if you're a little off the pace this week:-))

clink - well done on a good performance.

If I were to get lost I'd prefer it to be on the way home!

Scobos - yes, I feel there's definitely a sub 38 in me. Today was a bad one and even if I didn't get sub 38 I should've been around 38:14 going by the 15 mile race I did 4 weeks ago.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Stickless/Tom.. well run in the relay, and two delightful reports to boot.

Excellent XC performance & position Micksta, top stuff.

Good XC's too from Xerxes, RFJ & Junior.

flr.. where were you today? It was almost mild in Leeds.

Well battled Clink, good position too.

AF.. sounds to me like a thorughly decent effort in appalling weather conditions on a tough course. Do not judge yourself harshly.

Many happy returns to NZC.

BR.. you spotted my plan to finish between 2 ladies of the forum - a thorn between two roses perhaps {O: BTW.. I think I feel a bit like you today, after a period of frustration, injury, poor performances etc there is nothing like a return to form to re-kindle the old enthusiasm, just the ticket infact. I hope you have sourced a suitably expensive bottle of red to celebrate (and for it's medicinal properties to help with Hilly's back of course).

Come on the Barnsley XC'ers, do tell all!

• Hilly I bow at the feet of the worlds greatest comediene.

How many times do I have to keep telling people it's not me pushing the pace. I just tend to pick the route and try and keep up.

But I do use Club nights as my faster runs and the rest of the week run steady.

And lace tying lessons.
  • Back home!

So much to catch up on!

AF - ****! We did the same race and I had no idea! I don't think we would have seen each other though, although MrB (foreign looking bloke with a Nikon in a carrier bag to keep it dry) was taking lots of photos of runners so he might have one of you - what kit were you in? sh*** run for me as well, BTW

Well done to all the Leeds abbey Dashers,
    Drew - awesome!, BR - glad you feel like you're back there,Treadmill, Wardi, Hilly - sorry it wasn't what you wanted but at least you know why, which is half the battle

Nice XC report - Xerexes, Long Eaton is one of my favourites, a foul, foul course. Walshes would be better, or even spikes, but then of course you'll have to buy spikes AND Walshes ...

Stickless - excellent stuff.

NSC - happy birthday

Clink - well raced - nice steady HR

What: Like AF, Downton half for me - my first paid-for road race (been just doing bike stuff and fell racing/xc this year) of the year, and felt distinctly unenthusiastic at the start .... Also still feeling the effects of being ill last week, a complete lack of training, oh, the usual stuff. Not to mention
    Hail
    Flooded roads
    Thunder
    Lightning
    torrential rain
    The odd "hill"

I did however make the best kit choice - shorts, helly and club vest so didn't get waterlogged, and normal trainers - glad I didn't wear my flats as they have no grip and conditions underfoot were dire!

for comedy value, my splits:
    1: 7:29/159
    2: 7:53/168 - stabbing pain in my hip at this point
    3: 8:16/172 - hip still hurting. big hill. Decided to become obsessed with HR to keep my mind off things
    4: 8:53/175 - even bigger hill
    5: 8:33/172
    6: 8:21/170 - decided to stop worrying about hip as I was halfway home (by my maths)
    7: 7:24/169 - long flat bit. A few ponies wandering by (race is in the Few Forest btw)
    8: 9:10/172 - I have no idea why this was so slow - there was a hill but it wasn't that big
    9: 7:53/170 - hail, thuder, lightning - scary!
    10: 8:38/174
    11:8:49/175 - lots of flooded roads to wade though, didn't feel tired but HR shooting up and losing form - lost interest in the race here and stopped concentrating on good form
    12:8:54/175
    13:8:18/176 - trying to muster a bit of enthusiasm
    Finish in a totally carp 1:49:26 - almost the same time as last year. Although, on possibly even less training.

AHR = 171 /91% - never sure if this is too much or not enough! Regardless, don't think I pushed enough as felt totally fine at the finish, although a bit concerned about HR shooting up at the end. Hip however had completely seized up at finish and took advantage of the massuers to try and loosen it up a bit - a good way of spending a fiver. now sitting here with ice pack on it and crossing fingers ...
  • Wardi - It wouldn't be polite to go first

Leave it to the winner or the mud lover
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fair enough Legionella!

A rip roaring battle Lizzy, well done. I hope you dry out and un-seize soonest!

Leeds Abbey Dash results, it appears I was a modest 24th in my age group, whereas Hilly was 2nd in hers.. {O:

http://www.raceahead.net/SearchEvents.aspx
  • Just seen the results of Downton half - the winning woman did 1:41 ...! I finished 10th, 3rd FV35. If Hilly was still in this neck of the woods it would suit her down to the ground - the course favours the stronger runner
  • wardi

Teddington (SW London)

rain
    thunder
    hail
    cold cold wind

honest
  • Evening,

Micksta, well run in your XC race
    Treadmill, well run at Leeds
    AJH, 7 hours in the saddle – respect
    AF, that looks like one tough race and well done with the FLM place
    BR, great result and a excellent time
    Great report Stickless - well done to you and your crew
    Hilly, it is impossible to perform to your expectations when any of your bits hurt. Still a respectable time under the circumstances.
    RFJ Jnr, great run. RFJ Snr, tough run well done
    Clink, sounds like you had a great race. 92% MaxHR (I think) sounds about right for a 5 mile race.
    LizzyB, as AF’s comments. Under the conditions still good running. Bag the miles and the experience and be stronger for the next race.

A very busy day with some great results.

• Blimey, I was expecting to see that legionella (diseased by name and nature, it seems) or HMHS would have posted their successes today, rather than leaving it to me! I've been busy writing my presentation all evening; it's virtually done, for all those interested!

So, the SYXC....

Well, I felt good today, had a nice lap warm up with legionella, a chat to other people and generally revelled in the sunshine and the muddy course (that would later be my undoing)!

We set off and I felt great, the spikes (that I haven't worn since January) felt like slippers and, putting in a burst in the first downhill, I zoomed away from the disease and started to gain on those that normally beat me (this season). It was fairly muddy and I was doing some detours to miss some of the mud, but I was happy cos the spikes were enabling me to get through most of it fantastically.

First 3km lap in 12:10 and I felt good, HMHS was in front of me, but I knew I'd catch him; the diseased one was behind me and slipping back and it was still sunny! I started to gain on HMHS half way through the second lap when, suddenly, stressfully, laughably, cruelly (more adverbs etc), I was robbed of my victory!

The left shoe chose to embed itself in thick mud and stay there causing me to run on for a while before I noticed that my socks were wet and slippery in the mud! For a second I considered doing a Ron Hill and continuing without shoes, but I had the other one anyway. Swearing profusely, I turned around and ran back to the shoe, watching everyone run past me. Pulling it out I moved to the side and tried to put it back on, but the laces were tight and I struggled to balance. Wasting around 30secs, I got it back on and realised that loads had passed me, even legionella :-((((

Yep, I was gutted, and even though I pushed myself hard, I just couldn't get back to where I'd been. Oh well, not that bothered really, at least I have a better excuse for my failure than just running badly. Today, I felt great for the first time in ages, so I'm happy!

I even managed a sarcastic remark as I finished: marshal says, "Keep going," to which I responded, "..as opposed to stand still?" Hmmm, my wit isn;t always that great, I admit!
  • Nope, legionella didn't have a good race today, he was really dragging!

Well done to the other racers today, the Abbey Dashers, and BRilly, LizzyB, etc.

• Wardi - thanks for the link.

A debating point...

Do you notice the 3rd runner home ran 1 sec quicker than the 4th runner on the gun time but 1 sec slower on the chip time. (The 4th runner is Sven27 who used to post on this thread btw).

Now I think that the correct way of determining prizes is by 1st across the line (which is what the race does). Someone else here reckons it should be on chip time as that runner has covered the course quicker.

I said that you could, in theory, have someone crossing the line 10 mins late and running 29:10, with the guy crossing the line first blissfully unaware that he was in fact in 2nd place.
  • Chips are fantastic

Go well with pies and burgers

FL - maybe we should expand our contest to include the national
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol BR. IMO the winner should be the runner who covers the course in the fastest time. Not everyone gets the chance to start directly on the start line. Therefore chips should be worn for all races and all runners should be aware that the winner will be determined when all results are in. Would make for quite an exciting race eh?:-))
  • Wardi - It wouldn't be polite to go first

Leave it to the winner or the mud lover
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done on your XC FL. Shame about the loss of your spike though!

Lizzy, tough run by the sounds of things. Well done on battling through. Hope the hip is ok!
  • Stickless - Great report as always, and I'm touched to be included in your virtual team.

BR - Sounds like a very satisfactory race. Just the sort of feeling I want to have in a few months time (although I'll get it with slower running!)
  • Quick report.
    Washing up calls (literally)

zip all from Tuesday until today.

got back into the swing with a nice little 21.5 miler at 8m/m, and that includes the minor diversions that, ahem, often get incorporated in this sort of route, especially after lunch.

Almost stuck my left foot up a dogs backside in the first hour. Well, these 5 peeps were wandering along, filling the path. I took to the road to pass them, politely. Only they had this small excuse for a dog on a bungee excuse for a lead. It wanders in my way and I nearly got a new slipper for Christmas. I think that they mumbled a bit, but I gave them a Paddington Stare. They don't know how lightly they escaped.
  • BR - I'd go with you, prizes should be on first across the line as it's a race not a time trial. Otherwise if you knew the race was between you and one or two others - as I'm assuming often happens where the elites know each other - you'd just start a few seconds behind and follow their pace.

Well done on your time btw.
  • Popsider - yup

Although it seems that I wasn't beaten by the 1st V50 after all (who actually asked me what age category I was when we finished just to check I wasn't in the same group!!!! - how the years must wither me:-)) as my chip time was faster.

If there's any sub 29 10k runners out there you can go and win the Abbey Dash right now if the mats are still down:-))
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    BR, you know very well (seeing as I'm sat beside you and have said over and over)I believe all runners should start the race on the gun, not turn up 10 mins late. If however it takes them that length of time to cross the line (unlikely if they're experienced runners)and they happen to beat the winner's time then they are the quickest in the race and deserve to be rewarded for that! I think it would be very unusual for the first over the line to not have the quickest time, but as today's race shows there were two at the front with just 1 sec between them and imo the quicker should have been given 3rd place:-))
  • Agree it should be first over the line - otherwise you end up removing the race tactics and everything that makes racing psychologically interesting and it just becomes a TT. If someone can't be bothered to get themselves into a good position at the start line then they don't deserve a higher place than they got on gun time. You might as well set the runners off at 1 minute intervals if you're going by chip time. Who knows where it will end, will runners be allowed to knock a few seconds off their time if they get held up at a crossing or junction? <rolls eyes>

Bedtime now, 5:00 a.m. start tomorrow, going to London ...