Fred Hughes 10

One of my favourite races!

Nearly broke 1:40 here last year despite starting disgracefully late. So I have 2 goals this year. One is to get the right train for once and not have to sprint to the start line. The second is to finally crack sub-10 min. miling for a 10 miler.

Anyone else signed up for this one?

Comments

• You're not alone Little Nemo - we've had about 150 entries so far.

We're just waiting for the Race Nos back from the printers - so rest assured everyone we've got your entries logged.

Hope you get your target time. :->

• I may well enter this. It is a 9.30 start and not 10.30 like it says on this site?
  • Well-spotted Trendall - I'll contact Runner's World and ask them to change their stated start time which as you point out should be 9:30am.
  • i'm hoping to do this one. are the start/finish near the station does anyone know?
  • The start/finish are the same place - just over a mile from St Albans Station - a brisk 20-25min walk. There's a big contingent of Serpentine Running Club coming - and as they are based in London I reckon some others will be on the train.

Might be worth sharing a taxi to save you legs pre-race. Otherwise you could use this as your pre-race warm-up!

• Never done this one before but thinking about it as my friend has just moved to Saint Albans so a good excuse to ctach up with her and do some running! Is this a hilly course and is it run on the road???
  • Hi Bennygee gee, it's not completely flat but the hills aren't too bad and there aren't too many.

It's partly run on roads but there's also a nice section through some woods.

It is quite a long walk from the station which is why I was late last year! I'm aiming to get an earlier train next year.
    :-)

• Good Race. Pretty fast, no real hills. Can occasionally be icy particularly miles three to four. My PB course (2005 race) until three weeks ago when I ran particularly well at Bishops Stortford. My time this year is my 8th best as well.

I am usually pretty fast here but of course weather conditions at that time of year can make a difference to performance as can excesses over the festive season that precedes it !

My entry is actually on my desk waiting for me to pass a post-box.

It is a fair way from the train station and even by car I often end up parking in Cell Barnes Lane which is a reasonable jog down to the start. Indeed must remember to leave enough time as I usually come down the M1 and M10 from Luton and the roadworks will slow me down this year.
  • bennygee - apart from pretty flat there is a section through the woods, just after 5 miles and the water station. Note it is along the site of a previous railway line so it is flat but also the surface is pretty good as they have made it into a footpath. Not tarmac but doesn't get too muddy.

Also you do pass a disused platform at one point which is quite amusing.

The other thing to note is that you do a loop at the start and the same loop at the finish (approx 1 mile). The latter is fine but the former is about 200 Metres after the start and the loop is on a fairly narrow path made worse by some bollards (beware). You need to place yourself in the starting line-up sensibly. A 10 minute miler on the front row is likely to cause carnage :-)
  • Guys, thanks for the tips on this one. You've convinced me to give it a go! It should keep me motivated to train throughout the festive period and is a good length first race in my marathon training. Also, I've heard St Albans has plenty of nice restaurants and bars for some essential post race fuelling! Good luck to everyone that runs it!
  • You'll enjoy Benny.

The run is all on the Southern outskirts of St Albans and semi-rural. Yes there are some nice restaurants in town.

Hopefully if I can behave myself over Christmas, I'll be looking for a reaonsably fast time. (Sub 80 minutes for me)
  • Just entered this, my very first race :-)
    I'm 57 and had a stroke last year and started running a few months ago to build up my health and make me feel better about myself. The furthest I've run in training is about 11 miles (94 Mins). I tried to enter the LFM but didn't get in, so I'll try something a bit more sensible ;-)

Look forward to seeing some of you there.

Glyn
  • Just entered on-line. Really looking forward to this one!
  • Glad online entry is showing - just entered :-)
  • See you there Mitts - assuming you manage to get out of bed :-) Remember it is 9:30am start
  • Ha Ha!!

Am motivated for marathon training now.

Anyway, I'm not working until 22nd January so I can have a lie in every other day of the week :-)
  • I entered this a few days ago on the old fashioned, clunky, postal system. I've also booked into a hotel in St Albans for Saturday night to ensure that I don't miss the start, and to avoid having to get up at stupid o' clock on a dark winter Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to it - first serious race of 2007, and the first " sighter " as to where I am in the build up to London.
  • Isn't it cold? I'll be braving the freezing fog to run home this evening - brrrr!

Training has gone quite well, I've only had to miss a couple of sessions due to hang-overs...

1 month to go!
    :-)
  • Nemo,

Missing running due to hang-overs - you sound just like me!!!!!!

Now stopped drinking up until FLM........ well sort of :-) I've gone about 10 days so far. Got a few things planned where I might drink, but just going to take it one day at a time.
  • Well done, Mitten!

I'm normally pretty good at just having a couple but when it's Christmas and the drinks are free it's just too tempting! I've just got one more party to get through and then I should be OK.

Good luck for FLM :-)
  • Wow mitten, your good giving up the drink just before Christmas! I tried that when I was training for this years FLM but found I needed a glass of wine in the bath to look forward to whilst on the long runs!

Well done to everyone who managed to get out there running in the freezing fog! I'm looking forward to a long (ish) steady run on Christmas moring, that is if Santa brings me some of the new running gear that I've asked for, before tucking into a lovely Christmas lunch and mince pies. Merry Christmas and good luck with the training for this race....
  • Did anyone run over Christmas? I didn't, just too much to do. I'm back at work already (boo!) so I'll be trying my new thermal long-sleeved top and my new socks on the run home tonight.

I've still for a light for my bag so I show up on the dark parts of my run and a heart-rate monitor which should come in the next couple of days, can't wait to try out my new gadgets!

Did anyone else get any good running gear?
  • Ohh yes, new gloves & socks - much needed!!

Ran on Saturday & haven't been since then. Just off for a hash with the running club & maybe lunch in the pub.

Have fun with gadgets Nemo :-)
  • not run for a year - just signed up for this so training started today!
  • Got my number today - #114. Looking forward to it very much. Out of idle curiosity I've tried to look at last year's results, but can't seem to access them from the home web site. Am I being thick or are they just not there?
  • Liam - I know there were some issues with the St Albans Striders website earlier in the year.

I suspect this is why the previous year's results aren't appearing.

I'll notify the relevant people.
  • This was my 1st race ever back in 2002, almost gave up when I realised how far 1 mile was!!Looking forward to doing this again and getting a half decent time now I fully understand distance :-/
  • When's the deadline for on-line entry for this race? I'm delaying whilst seeing how my ankle injury recovery goes...

Also how even is the bit through the woods? - am trying to avoid unstable surfaces at the moment, much as I love cross-country.

If I go for this it'll be my longest race - last year I did the Rickmansworth Road Run 9m, so I'd really like to give this one a go.
  • Jane T3

Done this race 2 years ago and as far as I recall the bit thro the woods is actually on tarmack I believe - or a dirt track but certainly not lumpy and bumpy
  • i'm stalling as well with my knee injury - hoping to try it out over 5 miles XC tomorrow. would really like to do this one if possible.