Options

Fred Hughes 10

Comments

• Options
    > cross fingers that this damn wind drops!

...and if it doesn't, that it's behind us all the way - could do with all the help I can get! :)
  • Options
    well if last weekend's runs are anything to go by Tara, no matter which way we turn it'll be a head wind ;o(

But I'm with you in hoping for a nice tail wind!!!
  • Options
    Well, I havnt run for a week, I'm tired, my back is sore and I'm all ready for 2mrw! Looking forward to it :-/
  • Options
    Local forecast for tomorrow

8:00 Sunny 40° 32° 32° 10% 73% From the West at 16 mph

9:00 Sunny 41° 33° 32° 10% 70% From the West at 16 mph

10:00 Sunny 42° 34° 33° 10% 70% From the West at 16 mph

11:00 Sunny 43° 35° 34° 10% 70% From the West at 16 mph

12:00 Sunny 43° 35° 34° 10% 70% From the West at 16 mph

• Options
    Oops , missed headings. Should be -

Sunday, 21 Jan Temp ° F Feels
    Like Dew
    Point Precip. Humid. Wind
  • Options
    Do hope it's less windy than here. Been awake since 3 listening to the wind howling.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;o(
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Clouds are moving quickly overhead in Berko (10 miles away) but looks gentle enough on the ground.

Forcing porridge down - not awake yet. Going to eat this then lie down for 10 minutes :-)
  • Options
    Great race! perfect weather - took me just under 100 min but as the last time I ran 10 miles was two years ago, I'm not unhappy about that. Handfull of jelly babies every mile - think I could have run another five without a problem.
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    First one to report!!!!!

Very nice race, course was good. To my tired legs it felt like there was some hills in there :-) Thanks to the marshalls for their support.

Finished in 1:23 - happy enough with that. Got home, laid in bath with flannel over my head for 10 minutes & am now eating pizza.

Thanks to St Albans Striders. Only one minor moan - it would have been to nice to have some sort of 'energy' something at the end, either drink or anything I could eat.

I was beating Brooks, but he overtook me at the 2nd water station. I nearly caught him but had to tie my shoelace :-(
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    leadfoot - you beat me to the post!! Must improve on my typing!!
  • Options
    my 3rd 10 mile and broke PB by 8 and a half mins to finish in 1:20. really really pleased. nice course, nowhere near as hilly as buntingford 10 miler on new years eve.

good marshalling and policing. well organised, although was a bit of a squeeze at the start
  • Options
    Well done to all those who ran. Hope you all had PB's. Unfortunately I came down with an attack of Gout last night and was awake most of the night with. Couldn't even get my shoe on this morning.
    So much for my first race :-(
  • Options
    YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭
    Excellent race. Loved every second of it. Did it in 1:28, a PB by 13 minutes, and 7 minutes quicker than my realistic prediction. I've had a big grin on my face ever since I finshed!

Very well marshalled as well.
  • Options
    Well done all. Sounds like you had a better time of it than me. Prob could have done with some jelly babies as ran out of steam in the last couple of miles - lack of sleep, that headwind and lack of race fitness took its toll. Still it was only meant to be a training run so 1.25.40 is ok. Just frustrated not to do better on such an easy course. Still, next year..............! ;o)
  • Options
    Well done all.

Didnt actually get there due to missing train as I had also been kept awake by the wind. Oh well!
  • Options
    Shame AJH. Having had less than 3 hours' sleep last night thanks to the wind (not internal!!) I know that one!
  • Options
    Hi guys

Great race! the weather was lovely, cold but bright and the marshalls were excellent, so friendly and encouraging - loved the tea, rolls, cakes etc afterwards very good idea indeed - needed to put some sugar back in my system! :-)

Managed just under 92 mins so no pb but given it's been nearly 2 1/2 years since my last 10 miler - at which time I was a *lot* fitter - I'm really chuffed with the result. Those last 2 miles were killer though I must say!

Well done to all of you who ran and a big well done to the organisers, thank you all for your hard work

Tara x
  • Options
    Well when I booked this I had transport and could have slept in the car on the way which is what I normally do (thanks hubby!) but circumstances meant not.

Its not the first one I have missed because I havent got there so I must go for entry on the day races. Thinking I may do Benfleet 15 next week.
  • Options
    As I'd managed 86 minutes at Buntingford, I figured I'd match that today. I was 10 seconds up after 6 miles [52:52] but a sharp leg pain made me start walking. It seemed to go but I never had complete confidence that there wasn't a problem. Jogged to the finish in 90:10. I hope this isn't serious as I have 3 runs in 3 days next week-end.

Apart from the start, I liked the new route. It took me 9:44 to do the first mile though because of the runners ahead of me and the narrow paths. Brooks will, no doubt, comment that a 9:44 mile is good for me.

Only managed to see Brooks and Mitten. At least I managed to beat Motty again!
  • Options
    Realy enjoyed today, aimed for a sub 90 and got 88!

Never seen so many marshals, well done all of you.

Tara, was lovely to see you again.
  • Options
    That was great - now know I can run 10 miles! Was aiming for 100 mins with no real idea of if that was likely and was 89:57 on the watch so v. chuffed.

V well organised and good course and the bunch in the first 2 miles helped me as it made me start sensibly and then speed. AS Predicted 8 to 9.5 miles were the toughest for me but managed a "sprint" at the end.

Wabo - good to meet you and hope the run went well.

This one could become an annual event

Thanks to all the friendly marshalls.
  • Options
    Tara said "loved the tea, rolls, cakes etc afterwards very good idea indeed - needed to put some sugar back in my system! :-)"

I must have run straight past them - picked up my (empty!) bottle at the end and saw no food. Where was it?
  • Options
    Tea & refreshments were upstairs above the Main Sports Hall - think we need to signpost a bit more.

Sorry leadfoot - although you might have struggled with the stairs :)

Provisional results available at

www.stalbansstriders.com

Can you let us know if you disagree with any nos.
  • Options
    gosh that was quick!

that's the trouble with non-chipped races though I guess as your finish time isn't particularly accurate unless you managed to start right at the front - I got 1:31:54 on my watch but started nearly a minute after the first people - ahhh well :)
  • Options
    I go by my watch for my time but use the official results for placings.
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, yes Paul better signposting might have helped.

But then, I would probably have walked straight past it. Left my jacket in the sports hall in the mad dash to get home for a warm bath!!!

:-)
  • Options
    Paul: "Sorry leadfoot - although you might have struggled with the stairs :)"

My Zimmer frame is perfectly manuoeverable I'll have you know!
  • Options
    Thank you Paul, to you and all at St Albans Striders. It was a cold breezy day so a particular thank you to the marshalls for standing out in it and for being so helpful and supportive. Ended up 1:07:36 om my watch, 1:07:38 " Provisional Offical." I'm happy with either. Sandwiches, cakes and tea were just what I needed - I have a homing instinct for that sort of thing. Again thank you. See you next year.
  • Options
    Well done St Albans Striders! This was a great race on a lovely flat couurse although. Shame I missed the tea and sandwiches at the end as they would have been most welcome! I ran 84 mins which I was happy with so all in all, a fab day :O)

Will defo come back and run this next year and will reccommed it to my fellow berkshire runners as St Albans wasn't as far as I thought on a Sunday morning. Well done everyone that took part!
  • Options
    Well done everyone.

AJH - sorry you never made it. I only got to the school at 9:25 so probably wouldn't have seen you anyway.

My aim was to try and run a steady race. This was my first speed race for 6 months having concentrated on training for 3 Maras in 3 days last October.

The endurance from those events is still there as I managed a very steady 7:20 min miling all the way and finished in 1:13:58 by my watch, missing a PB by 3 seconds!!!!

The difference between this and my PB race was that I was knackered last time. Today I still felt strong at the end. Heres looking forward to some Halfs in February.

Thanks to St Albans Striders. Great organisation and great marshalls out on the course. (GCR Member)