Afford Rent-A-Car Stafford 20

Comments

• well i dont think i will be running another marathon! will stick to halfs in future. Managed to get 25 miles in this week and going for 18 this sunday. Good luck with all your training too, sorry didnt say that before. As long as i dont go too fast in staffs20 i hope i will be ok. Only two weeks to go - eek!
  • hellen - had to tell u managed to run 19.5 miles this morning and, felt really good and quite believed I could have carried on and ran 26.2 - poured it down several times but at least kept me cool - lol I think I am going to focus more on completing marathon and not worrying about the time as such.
    How is your training going, its only two weeks now to staffs20 - are u nervous - I am alittle but as long as get round in under 4 hours should be ok.
  • well done triple J, thought you were only planning on doing 18, that brilliant you did 19.5, if you can do that then as long as you get the pacing right then stafford 20 will be fine, it doesnt matter if you have to walk the hills. How long did your 19.5 take?
    I am now not so bothered about time for FLM. I have a long term time goal where I would like to go under 4 hours but not for my first marathon.
    Did 20.5 miles today, took it really slowely and did 10.15/mile. Felt quite easy and could have done more but it was dark and I had done 0.5 more than I needed so stopped!
    Havnt entered stafford 20 yet as I had some probs with my achilles last week so was waiting to see how I got on today, think I will enter it now though
  • Hi all

Just though i would tell you all

We've just run Bramley 20 in 3.02

It was a super run, but could not hold on to last years 2.58, cos of feeling tired after last weeks 4.52 Draycote marathon

Hope your all ok
  • Hi all
    Hellen, well done on your 20.5, how is your achilles, hope you ok. My time for 19.5 was rather slow - on watch was 214 mins but friend stopped for loo twice so reckon was 204 mins - i worked it out that 10 min miles would be 195 mins so about 9 mins over! Ran 6.5 miles last night in about 60 mins.
    MicknPhil - Well done on Bramley - that was brilliant - i would be so made up with that time! Are u entered in Staffs20 because I might have to fasten a rope to you so you can pull me up the hills!! Your marathon was excellant too wasnt it - I think I am aiming for London in 5 hours now, anything better will be a bonus but I think being able to stand on the finish line will be a good result lol
    Take care everyone.
    PS How do you get a pic of yourselves on here - all the ones I have are high in memory, hence the monkey lol!
  • Just found out there is going to be pre-post race massage available so you can count me in. See you all there.
  • triple J, achilles not too bad, can feel it but it is not painful. had an easy weekend this weekend, 15 miles! wouldnt have called that easy a couple of months ago

have just got my race no and info but not much in there so I have some questions,,,,,,

how often are the water station?
    is there bag storage
    how far is the car parking from the start/finish? It looks as if the start and finish are in differnt places but are they close to each other?
    is there somewhere warm to wait before the race?
  • I've done 18 milers for the last two weekends so I'm looking forward to this now - doubt I will though at 18 miles and 1 yard.

In addition to Hellen's questions, can I ask if there are plenty of parking spaces or do you need to get there early?
  • Hi All, well ran 16.5 Sunday as it poured it down and was very windy, infact on one open road bit, we ended up going backwards rather than forwards with the wind - well felt like that!
    Hellen, I am worried if there are no water stops, I dont think I can can carry two water bottles and I dont like wearing a belt - I think least I need to carry the better up them hills!
    As I am from Stafford I can tell you that as we go from the University, there is parking places but I think parking along Beaconside on the housing estate would be easier as not sure which car parks you can use at the Uni. My running partners said we will park on Beaconside anyway!
    I hope there are toilets too!
    How many miles is everyone doing this week before staffs20? Planning a 6-7 mile tonight then rest?
  • thanks trippleJ, am planning on a normal week of training as I will not be racing this but plodding around slowely so will be doing my usual club run tonight of about 6, wed 5 slow, thur 8 ish perhaps with some intervals, fri swim, sat prob 4 slow or nothing then the race sun.
  • Here's a lesson I learnt from last years experiance... don't do the first 5 mile quick... save yourself as in the first 5 mile, it's tough with the biggest hill, you don't do it the 2nd and 3rd lap ;-) You've been warned by someone who was seriously stung ;-)

Pug
  • just phoned up the orgnaiser to ask lots of my questions so here are the answers for those who are intersted....
    6 water stations
    loads of parking spaces
    bag storage
    massage before and after for a charge
    food after - sandwiches and home made cakes
    parking v close to the start and the finish
    loads of ladies toilets
    showers
    you can enter on the day but get there early
    the course is 3 laps

hope that ansswers everyone elses questions as well, quite looking forward to it in a funny kind of way!!
  • I have done this race twice before and am doing it again this weekend in preparation for FLM. Would not do this race otherwise.

A word of warning to those who have not done it before - the course goes passed the Staffordshire show ground 3 times ( each lap ). When there is event on the roads on which the race is run can be very busy - there is no road closures.

I see this year there is the Spring Garden Show on the 11th March so expect plenty of traffic up the hill - and keep well in to the kerb!!! You have been warned.
  • Anyone know if there is a map of the course available anywhere? Also a map showing where the start is (or at least a street address) Finally, how early would you recommend arriving if I need to register on the day?

Thanks and good luck to everyone taking part.

JJ
  • Hi all
    Hellen - thanks for finding out all the answers to questions we kept all wondering, I tried to phone few times and never got reply. My foot is hurting at moment, been told roll an ice bottle under it for 10 mins every hour when can - hence typing and rolling!!
    JivinJizz - not sure about a map but the road you need us A518 Weston Road, which is entrance for University. You come out (exit) on the A513 Beaconside Road. The university is out the town centre, let me know where you coming in from and i will put up some directions if it will help. There are three laps, first 8 miles with steep climb I am told, then two 6 miles with part of a climb, only going on what I have picked up. The contact no on my sheet for race info is 01782 330853

Good luck everyone running - can you please tell the marshall not to go home until he gives me my t shirt!!!

• TripleJ

The 3 times I have done this race you collet your t shirt before the start of the race. Not running it myself this year due to injury but will be there with the Jelly Babies if any one needs them.
  • ooh that sounds good BS!!
    Will other people be on the course giving out goodies? Are there many supporters for this?
  • Hi hellen

I recognise you from the 4:30 thread, me and my missus are doing this, I have it before and believe me its a very low key event Bham snail will prob be only supporter on course apart from the water stations, and Marshalls

The one thing I would say is take a towel as the showers in the sports complex acroos the round are the best I have come across and believe me you will need a shower after this.
  • B'ham Snail

please grab some Jelly babies for us

• Thanks QH, I usually use wet wipes after a race as I cant be bothered to shower then I have a bath when I get home!!
  • B'Ham Snail - I would like to share jelly babies too - mind u by the time I get round I reckon they all will of gone! I am rather concerned about this one, feel more easy about London than this! I just want to be able to get round and finish and still stand and pref in 3.5 hours but I think it might take longer!
    Hellen - Why are we putting ourselves through this - lol!

• If you could let me have your numbers I'll give a bigger cheer and I will make sure I give you more jelly babies as you go pass me.

• My no is at home but will let you know what it is.
    the weather looks like it will be nice. Until now I have been training in LS top but am thinking I might need to wear SS for this!!!
    Triple J, you will be fine, just take it really slowely. Are the other J's doing this with you? I will be starting out slow, prob about 10/mile but will be going by my heart rate monitor, if you want to go at that pace let me know what you will be wearing and your number and I will let you know mine and we can look out for each other near the start. I will warn you though that I tend not to chat too much especially in the second half!! I find if I talk I loose track of my speed. On a HM last year I got carried away chatting and slowed down without realising it. In the stamford 30km when my plan was to go slow I kept chatting and going to fast!!!
  • Just checked the weather for Sunday and its light showers, which will be ok, but its going to be a bit windy hopefully this will blow us up the big hill.

B'ham snail
    will post numbers on later Ta.
  • B'ham Snail

Look out for No. 66 (me) and 456 (my wife), we will be both be running in the same kit that we will be running FLM in so we will be wearing blue running vests with Christies on the front.

My wife's name is Jo and I'm sure she would apprecate a shout of support.
  • HAVE A GOOD RACE, FROM KEV THE TAKE THAT FAN FROM MANCHESTER ITS THE LAST BIG ONE BEFORE LONDON US IT AS A TEST NOT A RACE, 6 WEEKS AND COUNTING TO GO SUB 3HR
  • Hi All

I've signed up for this one as part of the London preparation. Have to say I'm a little nervous having never raced over 13.1 before !.
    I have done 20 miles in training (once!) and that felt ok tho' my gentle 5 miler this morning felt like really hard work ! Am hoping to feel better on Sunday !

Was planning to take some Jelly babies along for the ride but alas Sainsbury's sold out today ! will have to source them eleswhere !

Hi Quinton and Jo !. Haven't see you on a Sat am for a while - see you Sunday - it will make a welcome change from The Middlewood way !
  • Well, I have decided to have another go at this one this year...I only hope it is a damn sight warmer than last year!!!

If anyone needs any Science in Sport gels (6 for £5) or REGO (£21 for 1.6 kg) let me know, and I will pop some in the car.

PS Pug, I am sure you should have given this one another go, now you are so lean!!

Garry

• Hi all
    Still rather nervous - but will give it my best shot -
    Hellen - yes all of us running, Julie,Jackie and Jo (very original our name - TRIPLEJ) Dont think we will run in our Katharine House Vests as will be too cold - (my no is 428)
    Foot still alittle aching but keeping up with the ice in coke bottle!
    Good luck to everyone running.