Smoking and Running??!

Comments

• Thanks for all of the support guys. This thread is really helping. I came to have another look because I keep wanting a cig. It's really nice to see other peeps have given up at around the same time. Matilda, we'll have to see if we can encourage each other to stay quit this time, as I have had a few failed attempts. Last time I managed a day and a half (it was obviously not the right time!) But I have already managed 2 days so I am dong better than last time!
  • S'okay Bootoo, today's almost over and tomorrow will be 3 days!! Hooray!
  • Yep, what Huge says. Hang in there. Two days is a great achievement already.
  • Tip for the day:

It starts getting a tiny bit easier after about 3-4 days. The worst days of all most report are in the first 2 weeks. After a couple of weeks you can look back and see how much harder it was the first days. The real improvements come at about 4-6 months when you have finally replaced many smoking related habits with non smoking related ones.

Never forget the hard first days no matter how normal non smoking becomes -- it should remind you that you don't want to go through it again.
  • They used to talk about the 3 threes - 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. Seems to ring true.
  • I hadn't smoked for 18 months then had stressful time in summer and new g/f smoked so I unfortunately succumbed and have been at it ever since and running has suffered (that could have also been laziness though). Moving to Perth, WA though 2 weeks today (!) and intend to stop again just before Christmas and get back into running. I'm sure the fact you're hardly allowed to smoke anywhere there will be an enormous help.

Good luck to those quitting/trying to - makes such a difference and I'm looking forward to those days once more!
  • packed in the fags over 20 years ago and don't regret it one bit...........

'cept I've had a malignant neck tumour this year (3 ops and radiotherapy and happily over it - so far!) - now I can't prove that the smoking caused it (I used to smoke French fags and the incidence of oral cancer in French fag smokers is higher than smokers of Virginia tobacco) but there's a very good chance it may have precipitated it................

if that's not a good enough reason to pack in the fags, I don't know what is......
  • bootoo- day 2 for me, no smoko!!
    not hungry but huge chocolate craving aaaarrggghhhhhh- keep going people!!!!!
  • Fantastic Matilda! I'll bet that when you bust the last quit it didn't actually make you feel any better. Am I right? So you're not going to do that again, are you? ;-)

Day 87 for me, by the way, which means that if you laid the fags I haven't smoked end to end they would reach nearly a tenth of a mile. Frightening!
  • Day 3 over with and things are going OK (apart from a little hissy fit I had with the boyf yesterday!). Matilda, I have been reading a really good book called 'the easy way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr. It's really helping, so it may be worth a read.
  • Bootoo, that's brilliant. Hissy fits are permitted. Craves last about 5 minutes on average, and will pass whether you kill somebody or not. =:-|

Hint: Use this thread to have a good rant when you need to. It's so much more convenient than having to hide the body and clean up the bloodstains.
  • well done skinny and bootoo- day 3- no casualties so far!!

cant be doing with paying allen carr to tell me what i already know- easy way to give up smoking- dont buy anymore cigarettes!

whatever works for the individual!!
  • Start of another day, chums, was sorely tempted last night, Mrs Huge hates it so after a mild barney I thought yeah go and have a fag just to p*ss her off,NOT becuase I wanted one!! How stupid is that? Luckily the adult in me prevailed and told the spiteful child in me to stop being so silly. Crisis averted.
  • Very well done, Huge. You realised that It's you who wants to quit, not Mrs. Huge making you quit. Those in another stop-smoking support forum refer to the Nicodemon. I'd say that it was that, rather than a spiteful child in you, and overcoming it great. How many days is that now?
  • really want a cigarette today also want to stuff my face, not hungry at all just bored!! ho hum

am going for a run tonight and know that my run will be alot better if i stay fag free today

well done Huge- we need to show the same resolve with this smoking as we do with our running!
  • It will be 3 weeks Saturday, have had one lapse but it tasted vile - old baccy so I binned it. Apart from that its been okay, mind you I haven't been out and have been off the beer, A trip down the rugby club will be a sterner test.
  • Matilda, remember that smokers burn about 200 kcals/day more than non-smokers. A little weight gain is preferable to permanently damaged lungs etc. Nevertheless, carrot sticks are preferable to biccies for those boredom moments.

Personally I've already gained a lot of weight -- in my wallet :-)
  • Huge, probably not wise to deliberately put yourself in the way of temptation if it can be avoided.
  • Day 5 almost over and things are getting easier. I'm not craving as much and I am trying to control the munching. Your right about a run being good motivation for staying stopped, I am off for a run tonight and just keep thinking how much easier it will be. I ran on Tuesday and already found it a bit easier, but that may be psychological!

The real test will be the Friday night bottle of wine! I am volatile enough after a few without the Nicodemon getting hold!(good name skinny, sums it up well)
  • Well done guys, keep at it!!!
  • Top job bootoo, SOG, take your hint about avoiding confrontation but I will have to face it sooner or later. Keep at it all.

• Hello Bootoo, well done on stopping! Am on day 11 myself after smoking since i was 13, am now 34. It feels great to run without coughing my guts up after a run. I have also noticed that I no longer wheeze or stink. Not stinking is quite good for the social life!!

There are times when i find it hard and times that i just don’t think about it. But i am trying to avoid social situations that would normally lead to a ciggy.

That’s right i have now become a self sufficient hermit living off the land in the Outer Hebrides.

…………Errr, I mean I have stopped going to the pub!!

Once again welldone and keep it up.
  • Went for a run last night and noticed that my legs were giving up before my lungs, which is a nice change. The real challenge is the bottle of wine tonight. My resolve tends to vanish after half a bottle so I am sticking to 2 glases (hopefully!)

Good luck with the weekend everyone!
  • A round of applause to all, I think.

Major milestone for me tomorrow, 3 months. And it *does* get easier, guys, it really does.
  • Good luck all of you. I gave up 6 years ago having smoked an average of 20 a day for over 30 years. I had a number of failed attempts but as someone here said once you REALLY decide to give up it is the easiest thing and the best thing you can do.

Since quitting I've done a few marathons and a few triathlons as well...

Stay strong this weekend and you can look back on it with pride...
  • So, you have finally decided to quit Thank gawd fer that.. do you have any idea how stinky you were. A lot of peeps never know what to expect when they first quit. Consequently, peeps worry when something different happens to them.. so, I am gonna list a few things... some or all of which may affect you. DO NOT WORRY.... its all normal.... ok here goes...

Lightheadedness..

you may feel a bit woozy, dizzy.. guess what... its oxygen...

you may feel anxious....

you may find that you feel you are forgetting something...

you may harbour less than kind thoughts about your partner...

you will have whole days of sheer joy

you may have days of sheer sorrow..

you may have days where you feel you cant go on....

your partner may be put off a touch by your bottom burps.... and so will everyone else..

you may re-discover your teenage acne....

you may feel like getting fitter, now that u have more energy..

you may feel that you want to reward yourself by eating junk food... (best not to if poss)....

So, remember.... your not a freak.. your normal and everyone else will have been through the same thing..

I wish you the very best of luck with ure quits... whichever method you choose to quit.. i.e. NRT or CT there WILL be someone on the boards ready to help you through.

• Hey some of this still occurs even though I have stopped and some I never want anyway??

Lightheadedness.. (after beer)

you may feel a bit woozy, dizzy.. guess what... its Beer!!!!...

you may find that you feel you are forgetting something...Like last night (Beer)

you may harbour less than kind thoughts about your partner...(that’s normal!!)

you will have whole days of sheer joy (beer and brunette!!!)

you may have days of sheer sorrow..(beer, only to find shes a he?

you may have days where you feel you cant go on....(when he tells your mates)

your partner may be put off a touch by your bottom burps.... and so will everyone else.. (don’t get so close then)

you may re-discover your teenage acne....(aw…thanks)

you may feel like getting fitter, now that u have more energy..(another round then?)

you may feel that you want to reward yourself by eating junk food... (best not to if poss)....(try beer?)

So, remember.... your not a freak.. your normal and everyone else will have been through the same thing..(even is she became a he, and you’re a spotty farter!!)

Only joking, am sure there are plenty of good pints errr points. (BEER)
  • OI! Come on fellow quitters, check in now! None of you has been smoking, I hope.

Huge -- congrats on becoming a dad. NO CIGARS, understand?

SOG is at 93 days, having not smoked some 1581 fags, much to the annoyance of HM Treasury.
  • Hello there!

Yes I made it through the weekend without a cig! I am v happy about it!

Congrats SOG. I hope I can say I have been quit for the same length of time soon!

Apparenty Allen Carr does a book about food too. I hope it's not called the easy way to give up food!

The big test of the pub is on Friday! If I can make it through that I am cured!!