Smoking and Running??!

Comments

• Hello to Max, Grant and Chris! Nice to have you along!

Just a quick update. I am still a non-smoking (not quite as smug today though becasue I have shin splints!)

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Kep it up!
  • hello, i too have lasted another day without cigs. I did a nice 12 miles yesterday and had no breathing probs at all.

Life smells better too.
  • Hi everyone - just passing through . . .

I managed to give up over 6 years ago, after
    30 years and before I took up running. I would
    guess I am about £11K better off becuase of it.

I cannot imagine why I ever did it!!

I could not imagine being so fit if I still did!!

(£11K now where was that triathlon mag with
    the sexy Bianchhi bikes ? ? ? . . . )

Keep on in there - if I can do it so can you :-))
  • Well, milestones come thick and fast in the early stages, and it's another today: 4 months. Felicitations to all fellow quitters!
  • Hi folks. It has helped to read this thread. I stopped smoking cigs a few years ago but went on to cigars instead. Over past year I have built up to almost 2 packs a day. Have tried to stop numerous times - mostly with hypnosis. Success only for a few days at a time.

Think I was always looking for a quick and painless fix. As soon as heavy cravings came I gave in.

Anyway, 10 days ago I stopped. Using patches and so far have not even sneaked a fly puff. Cannot say it has been easy but this time I have prepared myself for it being challenging. Feeling good, smug ect. Just desperate for day I can say I have not smoked for a year.
  • i think the key is KNOWING that you cant just have one. No point trying to have a sly one, as its not sly and you back to square one. I find it hard at times, so do something to take my mind of it. Last week in the evening i ended up having three baths!!

Least i didnt stink
  • All okay peeps? Am just off for the weekend so be good, be happy.
  • Day 14. Had a very difficult day on Thursday but did not give in. Off the patches now but taking the gum. Only needing 3-4 pieces a day. Will be glad to get 3rd week over and done with.

Hope u are all still going strong.
  • Well done Robert. Keep it up. It really does get easier, but you can expect to get those difficult moments for some time so stay on your guard.

Still plodding along here. At 4 months plus a few days it's really not a problem, I'm happy to say.
  • Stopped smoking nearly three weeks ago now. This is probably (depending on how you reckon these things) my fifth attempt to stop; I seem to be doing alright at the moment, but I know from experience this is still the easy bit.
  • Interesting, GD. In what way do you find it gets more difficult?

Good work on the first three weeks!
  • Day 16 over - still going strong.
  • Hey folks long time no post, have had no PC at home for a month but matter now rectified. No fags here, have been on the wagon too with IWDI and we seem to be coping, another 10 days to go for the booze. Keep it up all, by the way I can smell things, it's great!
  • Don't talk to me about smelling things. I felt particularly cheated as I have had absolutely no improvement to my sense of smell. Turns out I have nasal polyps, and I've been given hayfever nasal sprays which, by all accounts, might shrink them and give me some sense of smell back.

• Ooooh! Hoosey! Well done that man, go for it. We're all behind you 100%. Do whatever it takes, mate.

Make sure you've got plenty of things to distrct yourself. If it helps, post here.

Be prepared for your lungs to feel worse before they feel better.
  • Hoose, oh you're here already, doh!
    JUST DO IT!
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    just over 4 months now, and am getting the cravings worse now than last month so i know what you mean "The Great Devourer"

5 time now and still going stong :-)
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    go on hoose'y if i can last this long..... mr no will power himself, then i am sure you can.

just remember today you don't smoke, tomorrow maybe.... but when you wake up , today i don't smoke tomorrow maybe.... so on and so on.

well i know it sounds daft but it did actually work for me, and another thing that worked was the incentive of picking a race out of the race dairy and aiming to compleate it, i chose the blackpool 1/2 next month, and i have trained and trained, it did work, as when the will was ebbing, i would thing about the race and just how much a relapse would cost me not just in time but in how much the entry cost and if i smoked i would not do the run.

it worked, why not try it.....
  • i had a crap week but am still off the cigs. Am very proud as its been very hard and the person i have been away with, that also stopped ending up cracking and buying some. anyway, still smoke free. its hard work but worth it. If you want to stopp just keep trying until you do it. The only winner is you and it feels good to be in that camp for once!!
  • still stopped, how is every one else doing?
  • I find it difficult to run and smoke at the same time, cant enjoy it so have to stop for a quick walk.

Cycling and smoking at the same time isnt to bad but the fag just dont burn properly.
  • Hi - I haven't been here for a while. Nice to see some familiar names.

Running helps me see how terrible I get if I smoke. I had a six-month layoff after the last serious exercise (Pembs coast path). The resting heart rate goes up, my HR is maybe 15 beats up of where I know it should be just sitting on the sofa, just uselessly carrying all that CO around. This is when I know I did my first mara in July 1995 in 4:19, cyclied across Cuba in the following winter, and then gradually let the form go and the smoking come back. The final straw came at xmas when I ran along a beach in Tenerife, felt awful, and hardly managed 2 km.

Now I have given up again and started a new training program for the Stockholm (again). After just two to three weeks of training and not smoking I feel so much better, and I see it on the HR monitor and times and sense of effort.

The heart itself seems to be the slowest thing to get unfit, and already I can see I'm tackling the RW intermediate 4:00 better than the first time round, which was literally a daily challenge to see if I could tackle that day's run. It's not that I now just want to quit - there's just no way I'm giving away so much form just because of an addiction picked up in childhood (I'm now nearly 50.)

So give up and be a better runner nearly instantly! And think it will just get better and better!

Had to get that off my chest :) cough-cough
  • Still off them. Got through the 3 week stage now on 23 days. I do get the notion but a piece of nicorette gum works for me. Tend to cope better in the evenings.

Def do not want to have to go through this again.