Million Miles Marathon

Hi everyone!
I'd like to pass an idea past you all....
I've just started coaching a blind runner, having found him a guide runner through our local club. Mark, the blind runner, is planning to run the London marathon and has been given a place by the RNIB. He'd like to raise 1500 pounds to help the RNIB help other people like him.

Could I ask if any of you would commit to offer Mark support in the form of 10p (only 10P!) for every mile you run in training in the next week (10 - 16th December)? With the number of people on this Forum, and the miles we all run in each week, we could all together help to make a real difference to someone's life.

You can give either with your name or anonymously to: http://www.justgiving.com/paulbrainandmarkscales
Hubby and I have put our 10p a mile for last weeks joint training in to start the ball rolling.

Thank you just for reading this.
DS

Comments

• But hate the hasslle of just giving. Will you take cheques in the post ?
  • Can I have the week after for the Stroke Association?

3rd largest killer in the UK, greatest cause of long term disability, kills 3 times as many women as breast cancer.

I'm doing 100 miles in various races for them... Also for my Dad who's survived several strokes but is not a well guy.

http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100
  • If anyone wants a postal address, then bump me an e-mail and I'll send one.

THanks - hey it sounds a good idea to make different charities on different weeks... until we all run out of cash, but how about seeing how long we can keep it up?

We did a sponsorship in our Club last year for the Stoke Association and dedicated one week to donating a 10p per mile run - raised 137pounds just from our club. Think how much us forumites combined could raise.

• SWH it is when you are trying to hammer in all your details in you Tea break at work....or maybe I'm just a slow typer :-)
  • Thanks Dangly, so Stroke Association would be 17th to 23rd?

I'll put in for yours by the way, though I'm actually not doing that many miles at the moment, so I think it will be the justgiving minimum £2! (Probably a good thing as I'm seriously skint! No money whatsoever coming in right now...)
  • Gillain
    becuase i have a justgiving page, and have donated before-it just fills it all in for me
    its too bloody easy, if anything
  • OK so it's RNIB this week, Stroke Association next week. Any more suggestions?

I've put a plastic cup by my shoes so that when i come in for a run, I can pay my 10p a mile 'tithe' when I put the shoes away.

I know what you mean by being skint Rowan - hubby has been out of work since May, I'm beginning to think I'll have to look for paid work and quit my volunteer jobs in the new year. Pity no-one will pay for volunteer work, eh?? (Is this a paradox - paid volunteer work?)

DS

• Today's the first day of the RNIB fundraising week - 10p a mile for every mile you run whould be really great. Today's my day off, but I put pennies aside yesterday.

Fact for the day: about 100 YES ONE HUNDRED people will start to lose their sight today and every other day of the week.

Please keep running to help them.

Thanks, DS

• oh
    thanks for the reminder DS

so-thats a quid already
  • I'll be including all my training, including walking. Better go measure today's route...
  • Thnaks, both.

Hope a few more people are going to join us.
    Today's fact about the RNIB:
    A fluid level indicator to help a blind person make a cup of tea/coffee without scalding themselves or spilling hot water all over, costs just 7 pounds.
    We can help make someone's life a little easier

DS
  • Up to a pound in my little pot today - after major problems with the knees over summer my running is now for fitness and coaching for the foreseeable future - I think my competitive days are over (sobs into computer keyboard)

Anyway, we're not so badly off.
    Today's RNIB fact:
    The RNIB help over 2 million people with sight problems each year.

• Today's RNIB fact of the moment: What were you doing when you were 16 years old? Could you have done that wearing a blindfold? Mark, the runner I'm coaching, lost his sight at 16 years old. The RNIB helped Mark and his family adjust. Help us to help others.

Having recovered from my moment of drama over the keyboard yesterday, I seem to remember that competitive running involves waking at 4a.m to think of the race ahead and run to the loo every 2 minutes for a nervous wee, and be unable to hold down breakfast..... perhaps I won't miss it so much!!!

• Today's RNIB fact: Only 4% of books are made into large print/braille/audio books so that a blind person can enjoy them. The RNIB is trying to increase that number.

You can help.

• I havent forgotten

so, on sunday i will make a donation

so far-41 miles
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've done a paltry 8 miles so far, but I'll add my 7 mile walk from last Saturday, and I'll just have to run tomorrow afternoon once the Chrimbo shopping is out the way.
  • Thanks, both. I've done 24.5 miles this week and I'm now on my rest days.

RNIB facts of the day: A large print Scrabble game to help a child improve spelling/ language skills costs 15 pounds. Our runs can help fund these for visually challenged children.

• RNIB fact of the day: The RNIB supports children and students through mainstream schools and universities so that they can live virually normal lives and develop into capable adults.

Thank you to all of you who have volunteered to help with the Million Mile Marathon idea. This has been RNIB week and Rowan has claimed next week (17-23 Decembver) as Stroke Association Week, so please add your support.

Your 10p a mile run donation for the RNIB can be added to http://www.justgiving.com/paulbrainandmarkscales. If any of you would prefer to send cheques, then please send me an e-mail and I'll give you an address.

Thanks,
    DS

• hello!

right
    my mileage for the week is just shy of 65 miles

so off to the site now
  • Hi All!

I've already given some stroke facts higher up, so something new...

Stroke is a term used to describe the effects of an interruption of the blood supply to a localised area of the brain, which can be caused by a blood clot or bleed. Symptoms in the long and short term depend on where in the brain the stroke happened. Immediate effects can include sudden numbness, weakness or paralysis, difficulty in speaking or understanding speech, dizziness, confusion, headache, blurring or loss of vision and loss of consciousness. In the long term survivors may have weakness or paralysis on one side of the body, speech and language difficulties, difficulties in perception, difficulties in cognition, fatigue and mood swings.

Donations welcome at http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100

Thanks!

PS: Hipps, well done! Take the 60 off and you are closer to mine... But I did run for 20 minutes without walking on Saturday! I'm hoping that eventually if I keep doing it I'll be able to run faster than I can run/walk...

• Many thanks to Ripped Dap and Plodding Hippo for donations to RNIB at http://www.justgiving.com/paulbrainandmarkscales for last week's running. 65 miles Hippo! I'm impressed.
    I managed just 24.5 miles. It's a case of 3 days gentle jog, 2 days recovery. Still, at least I'm still running.

Anyone have any ideas of how we can persuade more people to look at this thread??

• And todays stroke info...

Stroke is one of the most expensive conditions to treat. Currently the cost is estimated at £2.5 billion per year, which is 6% of the total NHS and Social Services budget.

The human cost of stroke, and the cost to the NHS could be reduced…

Research indicates that as many as 40% of strokes could be prevented by regular blood pressure checks, treatment for hypertension and improving overall health.

PS: sorry I've not put mine up yet... will get round to it! As to more people on the thread... I think many people on here are tired of charity appeals. But if we keep up the one a week thing I think people might gradually join in...
  • Popping in between mad chrissie shopping and visiting family for another batch of info...

TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack) or mini stroke is caused by a brief interruption of the blood supply. Symptoms are the same as for a full stroke but last less than 24 hours. TIA’s are often a warning of a full-blown stroke to come. Unfortunately they are often neglected, seen as a one-off, and/or not diagnosed.

The stroke association is working to raise awareness in health professionals and the general public

The cost to the NHS of treating stroke is nearly twice that of coronary hear disease. Yet this is not reflected in the priority given to preventing and efficiently treating stroke. For every £1 spent on stroke research, £20 is spent on heart disease and £50 on cancer. For every 90 stroke physicians in the UK there are 700 cardio (heart) physicians.

• Rowan, I sent e-mail asking for address to send cheques - did you receive?
    DS
  • Whoops yes, will sort out later... I'm having one of those weeks...
  • Another batch of facts...

While the majority of people who have strokes are over 65, around 20% are younger. This is 25,000 people a year, including children.

Only 46% of stroke patients are admitted to a stroke unit during their stay in hospital. Wards have a 14-25% higher mortality rate than stroke units, and patients in stroke units generally make a better recovery and spend less time in hospital (cutting down that massive cost to the NHS…)

After leaving hospital many stroke survivors feel abandoned. There are often long delays in receiving rehabilitation services such as physiotherapists and speech therapists. Some get no help or advice. Leaving hospital may be delayed because of the lack of suitable after-care, again costing the NHS more in the long run.

Carers of stroke survivors also need help and support: a Stroke Association survey showed that 70% had worries about looking after someone who’d had a stroke, and 63% had health issues themselves.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Dangly - I forgot to keep a note of my miles for last week, so I've lied to make me look like a real afflete...... :o)