Options

Million Miles Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Many thanks, Nessie. Mark and Paul are doing well. They have raised around 100 pounds just from their assault on the Christmas Card contacts, plus what is on the justgiving website.

Thanks to all of you.
    Have a lovely christmas. Our squad is out for a long run at 7.30am tomorrow (aaaggghhh!) I didn't decide on the time. I was outvoted when I suggested a downundertheduvet day!

• Options
    So who's going to claim next week for their charity?

And I have to decide what to put up for my last facts: could be what the SA is doing, or what you can do to prevent strokes. Any preference?
  • Options
    Having some thoughts on the running of this thread... I've been thinking we should get 10 - 15 participants lined up and given a week each. After they have been through we should repeat (since it's been slow to start... fair to those who started it? Maybe only repeat the first 5 or something?).

After that I see it going two ways: either one go each if it's really popular. Or maybe limited to a certain number of participants with a waiting list for drop-outs.

What do folks think?
  • Options
    Hello!

Good idea telling those of us looking at the sponsorhsip thread to have a look here - and I think you are possibly onto a winner.

I would happily sponsor 10p/mile to a different charity each wk for my training (given that I am a marathon virgin I haven't quite figured out how many miles that will be yet!), but of course would like my charity to have a turn at some point.

I'm running for Breast Cancer Care, a small charity that only has 16 gold bond places. It is a charity that offers support and advice to people with breast cancer rather than raising money for research. It is close to my heart beause my uncle had breast cancer a few years ago, and as only 200 men get the disease in the UK a yr there is very little information out there. He became very involved in their fund raising after his treatment had finished, and was the only male model at their annual charity fashion show at the Park Lane hotel for 3 yrs running. (all models are people who have had breast cancer)
    Since then, he's recovered and now my aunt (his wife) has got it! So now she's having the same gruelling treatment, but it's looking good.

So do the weeks run Mon-Sun?

My 17 wk training programme starts on Monday and now I have a reason to keep note of how far I run - have been lazy up until now and not kept a diary, but it will be interesting keeping track.

Let me know what you think guys!

• Options
    Think the weeks have been starting on Sundays, but open to suggestions. Yes, I think it is a good idea to limit it to just a few charities - how many weeks do we have to go? Anyone got a calendar handy?

Wish you all a Good Christmas as I don't think I'll have much time on the computer in the next few days... so much eating to do!!

DS
  • Options
    Oops, should have read Carovet more closely. 17 weeks to go.

Let's go for Breast Cancer Care next week, then. Carovet, do you have a justgiving website?

Can you do us some facts each day to keep the thread near the top?

• Options
    Hello!

This thread is such a good idea...!

I'm a bit confused though, if i make a donation today for my last weeks miles who do i give them to? The Stroke Association? (Rowan, btw, do you remember me!? Ran the marathon for the SA last year, i think i even sat next to you at our SA forum runners meeting meal the day before the marathon...)

I'm running for Spinal Research this year, as one of my friend's dad is in a wheelchair and has been for many years, so wanted to raise some money to help find a cure for something that affects 40,000 people in the UK. Can i get the week after...!? I don't mind doing facts etc. everyday...
  • Options
    I have a very sad looking just giving website at the moment as it has a big fat zero! and still needs a photo, but yes it is

www.justgiving.com/carovet

and I shall happily think up some facts as I am twiddling my thumbs at work tomorrow!

Thanks and happy running!

Oh yes and happy christmas too......

• Options
    Breast Cancer Fact Of The Day.....

Annually there are around 42,000 new cases of breast cancer diagnosed in the UK, of which only 2-300 are in men.
  • Options
    Hi all, yes I remember you Drummond! Which is pretty amazing as I'm really bad at names and faces! LOL

Sorry for not getting back to do my last fact yesterday. Got a bit of a bug and I crashed out on the couch... Guess I'll have to save it.

If we are doing the weeks till FLM I think it would be good to allocate up to halfway and then repeat: I'm thinking that's fair if things take off a bit, so that those who start off in the low mileage weeks get a chance at the higher ones! Especially Dangly, who really deserves to get more fundraising out of this for coming up with the idea!

Hips: don't you want a week?
  • Options
    Merry Christmas! A quick break from killing and plucking terrence the turkey to give you some info on what breast cancer care does- looks like I might have started a day early with yesterday's fact - sorry! I like the idea of repeating the charities half way through - good idea Rowan.

Breast Cancer Care is the UK's leading provider of information, practical assistance and emotional support for anyone affected by breast cancer.

Every year they give direct support to over 22,000 people with breast cancer or breast health concerns through their helpline, peer support and other direct services.

In addition, they respond to two million requests for support and information about breast cancer or breast health concerns through their publications, website and outreach work.

ALL THEIR SERVICES ARE FREE

They are committed to campaigning for better treatment and support for people with breast cancer and their families.

• Options
    Hello, today's fact is breast cancer causes 12400 deaths in the UK every year.

Hope everyone has run off the excesses of yesterday(!) and got lots of good presents.

• Options
    Hope everyone had a nice Christmas - you're all very quiet out there.......

Today's fact:

If a woman lives till 90, over her lifetime she has a 14% chance of getting breast cancer.
  • Options
    10 year survival figures for women diagnosed with breast cancer in the last few years are 72%.
    The latest predicted 20 yr survival rate for women recently diagnosed is 62%.

• Options
    THanks, Carovet and for your donation on RNIB website. Much appreciated.

So far we have had

RNIB - Dangly - 9-16 Dec
    Stroke Assoc - Rowan = 17-23 Dec
    Breast Cancer Care - Carovet 24-30 Dec

So Spinal Research by Drummond for 31 Dec - 6 Jan 2007.

Hopefully, we are now becoming more noticed. I think it's a good idea to go back to the earlier charities, if this takes off. Shall we see how it goes until end of Feb then make a decision on the charities for the last few weeks to the marathon?

We need more people to read this, otherwise we're going to run out of charities!

Keep up the good work every one. I've managed to keep running, despite all the Thorntons, twiglets, pringles......
  • Options
    Carovet, can you send me an e-mail with your postal address? I'd like to send a CAF cheque for the Breast Cancer Care to pay my 10p a mile. Your e-mail is not enabled.

Rowan, the cheque for Stroke is in the post! Honest!

Thanks,
    DS

• Options
    oh can i play, i'm running for VICTA, visually imparied children taking action.

its a charity that was set up by a group of parents, and has gradually grown, all the money that the charity recieves is really from those who fund raise thru various marathons, and thru donations. so any thing that is raised is so important, then the money is given in grants to help families with treatment etc.
  • Options
    Just a quickie to say Happy New Year to everyone. Am leaving for a hut on the side of Snowdon for new yr 1st thing in the morning, so no more e mail access for me!
    Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Looking good so far!

RNIB - Dangly - 9-16 Dec
    Stroke Assoc - Rowan = 17-23 Dec
    Breast Cancer Care - Carovet 24-30 Dec

So Spinal Research by Drummond for 31 Dec - 6 Jan 2007.

and VICTA by Nicky for 8-15 JAn

Happy New Year everyone
    DS
  • Options
    Thanks for the donations for the Stroke Association: Dangly, got your cheque! It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get it down to them... Tend to wait till I've got a good amount to take.
  • Options
    moonie where do u want me to send my cheque
    e-mail me ur address
  • Options
    I've just realised today is my first day...

my first fact is -

There are more than 40,000 people paralised as a result of spinal injury with around 500,000 people world-wide.

Happy new year and i hope everyone has fun running in the wind over the next couple of days...!

Dangly, Rowan and Carovet - i've been tryin to sponsor you on your websites, but my computer was being funny. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Thanks, Drummond. Do you have a justgiving or other website for the Spinal research assoc? Also, Santa Nicky - is your website the one in your name?

Keep up the good work everyone. All these charities are worthy of our mileage and every little helps.

So far we have had

RNIB - Dangly - 9-16 Dec http://www.justgiving.com/paulbrainandmarkscales
    Stroke Assoc - Rowan = 17-23 Dec http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100
    Breast Cancer Care - Carovet 24-30 Dec www.justgiving.com/carovet
    Spinal Research by Drummond for 31 Dec - 7 Jan 2007.
    VICTA by Santa Nicky 8-15 Jan.

• Options
    yeah thats my web site DS,

i'll do my donating at the end of the week when i've clocked up some good miles, i've been lazy over the xmas period
  • Options
    my justgiving is www.justgiving.com/drummond2007

and today's fact is......

the average age for someone to get a spinal injury is 19, even so their life expectancy remains the same, which has consequences on not only them but their families too.
  • Options
    Thanks, Drummond and Nicky. keep going!

So far we have had

RNIB - Dangly - 9-16 Dec http://www.justgiving.com/paulbrainandmarkscales
    Stroke Assoc - Rowan = 17-23 Dec http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100
    Breast Cancer Care - Carovet 24-30 Dec www.justgiving.com/carovet
    Spinal Research by Drummond - 31 Dec - 7 Jan 2007. - www.justgiving.com/drummond2007
    VICTA by Nicky Gunn – 8-15 Jan - www.bmycharity.com/nickygunn

Any offers for next week after VICTA?

• Options
    Drummond, please can you e-mail me your postal address so I can send a CAF cheque for Spinal Research Assoc?
    Ta.
    DS
  • Options
    Thanks for your cheque Dangly, it may be a while before they get it but it says its valid for 6 months so I assume that's ok.
  • Options
    Hi,

I didnt get a chance to post yesterday so i'll give you 2 facts today...

The degree of paralysis resulting from spinal cord injury depends on which part of the spinal cord is injured. Injuries higher up (closer to the head) cause more paralysis than those lower down the cord.

and

the estimated cost of looking after people with spinal injury is estimated to cost tax payers over £500 million every year in the UK

I've also finally managed to put my miles on to your pages, Dangly i'll email you in a minute with me address
  • Options
    i realise i said "estimated" and "cost" a few too many time in that last post...