Sunday 10th December 2006

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Hippo - well done! That's a HUGE amount to lop off your pb in one go. Especially one week post mara!

Popsider - I wish I could do a half that fast!

Scoobs - I'm with you on the 'being a granny comes later' thing. My birthday girl has just applied to uni at last, so hopefully she won't be thinking about babies for a while.
  • So, anyone good at giving training advice, what training should me and RFJ do for the next week or so for the rehabilitation of sprained/twisted ankles?

I belong to a gym, so what can I do?
  • congratulations hipps on 2 pb's for the price of one!

happy birthday to AJH! and to I/W junior!
    with you on the elo thing - absolutely detest them in a big way, can't explain why but they have an awful effect on me

good run popsider and mrs pops, just think what you'll do when you're really racing it

sodahead - i like the way you vary your hard sessions, and they are hard. what kind of effort are you doing the 20 reps at?

nice run scoobs - you seem to have beaten off the flu nicely, getting stronget by the day

back from very wild north wales coast in one piece -
    Race Report -
    turns out they lopped a bit off, we used to run 10k but it was billed as 5 miles. out and back along the prom with a small inland loop round the back of the golf course.
    wind against on the way out so quite tough. strangely i felt much stronger on this part than when we came back with the wind behind. no mile markers so i don't know if i set off too fast and slowed but that's the most likely explanation as i started getting passed in the last mile or so.
    finished in 37.12 so seem to be stuck on a bit of a plateau for the last 3 races pace wise but very pleased i can do a relatively pain free warm down and also able to run the next day - think i'm winning the mind over body battle now.
    hope that now i'm building some better mileage i can start to get a bit quicker, next league race is february so plenty of time to prepare.
    saw mikeS who looks pretty good and asked me to check him from behind - nicely well balanced so his strengthening work must be working
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    FL,

Ive already started on the sit ups (coz im a Fat git anyway, and being laid up wont help.......

Will be looking posibly at rowing machine or bike at the gym.

How bad is your anlke and what time frame are you looking at? (by the way was is you who mailed me yesterday - if so thanks really appriciated).

Well Hippo - thats great

Popsider, always nice to see a different side of a race..

Take care
  • FL - can you use a wobble board? it may be too painful yet but when it's settled it should help your ankle strength
  • Well done FL, BR, Micksta, RFJ and Hilly on X-country races and NZC on track.

A quick post from me to show some life. Still not a very happy bunny as can simply not shift my achilles problems. Not been posting as a result but have been popping in most evenings to have quick read of posts.

Am back running but limited to 30 mins per day to avoid problems with one longer run of an hour which I did this am. Don't really see any light at end of tunnel despite 6 weeks complete break and running at this level now for last 3 weeks.

Simon

P.S. BR - Tim over next week for the x-country international in brussels.
  • sorry to hear that sit

forgot the happy burpdays
    x
  • Well done Hippo! Good to see that the improvement over marathon pace translates to improvement over shorter distance.

Micksta - are you ok this morning, i.e., did you get away with it?

I'd be careful about using the wobble board while it's still painful. Hope you both can get some help.

Simon, sounds really frustrating. are you getting good help with the achilles?

Me? Mission accomplished. Yes, new pw, 2:31, but I knew that was coming so not upset. The good bits:

1. I stuck to my race plan run/walk 9/1. I was stiff at the beginning, didn't feel (even relatively) free until about mile 3. Miles 3 to 8 went according to plan, and I was really quite happy with the way things were going. Mile 8 calf trouble started, and crotch went numb, never a good sign, started having trouble getting legs forward, but ok. Mile 9 was a gorgeous long downhill, really boosted morale. Rot set in
    at mile 10. Slight chest pain, which, if I ignored it led to dizziness. Crank back the pace and chest pain and dizziness cleared. OK, so we won't push it. Stuck with the plan though, just didn't try. I think legs had a little more juice in them but not a lot. Ignored the last walk break in the middle of mile 12, and tried to stretch out again for the last 500 metres.

Really enjoyed:
    - the company at the back. Mostly fantasizing about food, oddly.
    - just being out there again. It was a very gracious half. Nobody made you feel lousy for being slow. The marshalls all had a smile, the departing runners tooted their horns, grinned and waved from their cars. All very encouraging.

Lessons:
    -Stick with the run/walk pattern. It gives me a bit of confidence to run a little harder when I am running. I think that is a good thing. I don't actually think my legs were made for slow. This will do til I can keep control of them the whole way round.
    -It would seem that training is essential even for the likes of me, ahem. The trick is to how to up the training without getting tired. Get tired and I am back ill. Full stop. Tricky to get it right. Some of the problems are now gone, or going. I hope I can work my way up, but it is not a straightforward problem of willpower. Like Simon, but at the opposite end of the field, and unlike Simon with respect to the details, it's a tricky one to judge.

I'm pleased. A HUGE thank-you to those running with me - Tom, Drew, Hippo, Wabo. I stuck to plan. That's credit to you.

Challenge for the next 24 hours: avoid the killer adductor cramps. They like to exact revenge.

• RFJ - yes, sorry, it was me who emailed you, I forgot to leave my forum name! I don't know to what extent my ankle is injured; it doesn't hurt as much as when I sprained the other one (8 years ago) but the pain has moved to the inside of my ankle bone now.

Whilst in bed this morning, I was experimenting with the movement of it and can virtually rotate the ankle with minimal pain. Walking isn't too bad but I am debating whether to have tomorrow off as my job requires me to be on my feet a lot.

I might try the gym when the bruising has come out, namely the rower and bike, and maybe do some pilates as usual later in the week. Some exercise rehab sites say that swimming is good, if you only do front crawl or drag the feet.

I'd like to try a run in a week's time - so fingers crossed!
  • Nice one, Stickless, seeing another element of the race is so uplifting, I can;t wait to get back to racing!
  • NZC - bravo to your friend. Tiggers mate Roo helped me a lot, and I know exactly how much such encouragement can mean.
  • ah Stickless

was wondering how you got on
    2.31 is pretty good for your comeback race
  • (it aint that long ago since 2.31 was my pb)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done stickless

(FL - you have mail)

Take care
  • Afternoon all,

NZC: Glad to hear your OK. Sounds like we're of a similar character. Impressive track results.

Happy Birthdays to Mini-Iron Wifey and AJH

SGQ: I'd go with the Garmin.

Hipps: Well done on those impressive PBs in hardly ideal conditions. Anyone who didn't know better would think a long training streak with no rests was actually having a benefical effect :-)

Pops: 1:49 on 5mpw! Well done.

clink: Well done on a solid run. Looks like you've got a good base going into the winter.

Stickless: great performace in the circumstances. You hung in there and achieved what you set out to. Well done.

What: 17 very cold miles - what happend to the mild weather?
    Why: It's sunday
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    Last Rest: 229 days

Have a good one!

• afternoon all...

well run SW Hippo great PB.

Micksta and Brilly solid performances as ever.

FL and RFJ sorry to hear of the xc horrors. Hope the ankles improve quickly.

NZC...well raced on the track...something I've never done!

Posider and Partner..well run on a hilly course and not to suitable weather at Keyworth Half.

I ran this race as well, as my first warm up race for FLM and was pretty pleased with 1-23-47 37th place overall and first in my age category winning a lovely big cold turkey! and a engraved cut glass glass.

Bumped into Marmite...Master at the finish he had a great race and came home in 7th place i think in 1-17ish. On that course and conditions that some running.

The winner ran round in 1-13ish, apparently he ran Benidorm Half the other week in 67 minutes...
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Stickless and Hippo, uplifting stuff as always. Was thinking about you both as I battled round the fens this morning.
  • Afternoon

Fl and RFJ really sorry about XC take care of those ankles when you can wobble boards are the bees knees and really help build strength on your weakened ankles but only when they are recovered.

Stickless well done on your race and you attitude you are a star young lady:-)

What: 30 minute treadmill run
    Why: all I could manage
    Last hard: virus this week

I have sent the 2120 shoes back well will do tomorrow they just did not feel right at all..too clumpy and too high up the heel(i need a lower heel due to achilles) and too padded and not as responsive as the previous version so i shall be stocking up on the older version in my size!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Happy Birthdays all round it seems!

Congrats racers, especially Hippo - did you find your mojo?

I went out on my bike for 2 hours 25 and then finished off inside with 75 mins on the turbo with the rain pouring down outside. Excellent fun - although I was very tired, and it felt more like 6 hours than 3 hours 40. Ah well - it's nearly the hols!
  • Seems like my mojo resides in races
  • Not a bad thing is it, hippo? I'm pleased to see that it returns for the shorter distances too though. It would be difficult to run a marathon every weekend for the rest of you life, but a race every weekend or so is entirely possible. No?
  • Afternoon folks.

Long time no post! Plenty to catch up on it seems...I'll read back later. In the meantime, well done to those who've run and raced well and commiserations to those who've struggled but fought the good fight.

Well Cyprus was brilliant, a very welcome break in the sun, with temperatures of 22 or 23 degrees every day, with wall-to-wall sunshine. The running was excellent too...never really knew what state of fitness I was in when I went, so the signs are all encouraging...

Day 1 (Thurs) - 6k time trial...finished 5th in 21.17 (about a minute quicker than last year). Felt in control. Had an easy 3 mile cooldown afterwards.

Day 2 (Fri) - 11k hill race...finished 7th in 57.08 (about 3.40 quicker than last year). Really pleased by this one - crashed and burned in this one last year, but got the pacing right this time and ran a much more sensible race. My time was quicker than last year's winner!

Day 3 (Sat) - trail half marathon...finished 5th in 1.26.52 (the course was about a km short last year, but accurately measured this time and I was still more than 2mins quicker this time round...so probably more like 6mins plus quicker). And no tumbles this time round!

Day 4 (Sun) - road 10k...2 of the guys who'd finished ahead of me in the previous 3 days had to leave after the HM, so moved nicely up the overall placings! The 10k went well too - ran the first 5k steady in 6th place, then picked it up from about 6k onwards, finishing strongly in 3rd place in 36.46 (about 1.50 quicker than last year).

So overall, finished in 3rd place, the same position as last year, but the overall standard was far higher than before, so chuffed to bits with how it went! And Mrs S got among the prizes too, winning 1st FV35 in the 10k! And we took the 3rd team prize (with the team made up of me, Mrs S, Trouty/Tony the Tiger from the Hard Training thread and Dave Moorekite, who Micksta knows well).

After the event was over it was time to relax and recover with just some easy runs thrown in...

Mon - 3.75 miles easy
    Tues am - 6 miles easy
    Tues pm - 3.5 miles easy

Travelled home on Wednesday and faced the drive from Manchester to Glasgow.

Thursday was taken up with collecting and loading up a van, then driving to our house in the Highlands.

In among the flatpack furniture assembly and assorted other tasks, managed to get out for a couple of stunning short runs which will become regular outings when we're up there...loch, snow-covered mountains, waterfalls, all sorts of wildlife...fantastic!

Friday - 4.75 miles steady
    Saturday - 4.5 miles easy

Then another long drive back down the road yesterday afternoon! A hectic couple of days!

Then finally (!!!), it was out for a head clearing 14 miles or so this morning in about 1hr 40mins.

Since then it's been bum on settee, watching the box!

Anyway, enough from me for now! Have a good evening.
  • Stickless
    If my job permitted it, i would bloody well run a marathon a week
  • And it would do you good. It suits some people, clearly suits you. I'm just glad to see that if need be you can turn your feet to 10 miles.
  • Scobos

sounds wonderful in Cyprus

Stickless-I am beginning to understand why they dont stop at 100
  • Bravo Scobos!!

That sounds like a good trip. And enjoy your new house. That sounds good too. Actually, really good.
  • FL - How about marathon pencil sharpening ?

12 mile off road and 6.5 on the bike done earlier. Why? Might as well get the sneaky race specific miles done while adversary is injured. Would have been a longer run but wanted to play with new toy as well.

Encountered a dog owner today. She saw me coming from some distance and made no attempt to put it on a lead. Sure enough as I ran past the dog went with me. For a moment I thought about coaxing the dog into a long run to teach her a lesson but it got close to the backs of my legs. Having been tripped this way before by someone's lovely pooch I decided to lift my legs and exagerate my backward kick.

Funny thing is after I had kicked it twice in the mouth it stopped following. Must remember that.
  • well done Stickless and Hippo!

Sounds like a really good week Scobos.

Hope you see some light soon SiT.

Likewise Poppy with your return from virus.

Well raced racers.........Clink, Popsider and other half.

Got lots of nice bits and pieces for bike and run which I have a feeling will be wrapped up for xmas. Now why is it that my hubby has NO hobbies so I struggle to find anything for hm?
  • FL - sorry to hear about your ankle, what I'd say is sell your house, children, anything to get as much physio as you can - I've torn my ankle ligaments four times in the past five years (three times in the last two) and the only times I've made a good recovery is when I've had lots of physio. Last time I didn't and ankle still isn't right - just not strong enough to handle rough descents while racing. Take care xx

stickless - great stuff

Popsider - sounds like a good run considering all injuries and woes.

Hippo - speeding up! Well done

Legionella - I bark at dogs. Or shriek "NOO" at them. It terrifies them. And their owners. They tend to back off after that (dogs and owners)

Apologies to those I've missed.

What: 80 minutes in the hail and mud @ 75whr. A really nice run, felt really good. Saw a heron, several shags (or cormorants, I can never tell when they're flying) and lots of swans.

Spin on the turbo later.

Why: Should have gone cycling but the weather was too grim and I am a lightweight.

Yesterday I went to a health spa for the day with a friend. I was a bit dubious, and thought I would get bored, but it was fantastic. I have been so tired and stressed over the past fortnight, and, despite the 6 hour round trip in my very rattly car, I feel so energised and alive. And so many bits of me have stopped hurting as well (the day included 40 minutes in a flotation tank - v. boring actually, but I think it was good for me)

• FL - How many times can one person fall over or injure themselves in a season - are you going for a record? :-)

Today, ran for the first time since XC 2 weeks ago and also fell over, no serious injury though. I have been suffering with a sore throat and cough since last XC, plus new job has been taking a lot of time. Ran about 12 miles today. Don't worry Legionella, you've still got me to beat in XC in January.

By the way, is it club handicap on Thursday?