Sunday 10th December 2006

13»

Comments

• What: 10 miles
    Why: I was wanting to go for more (15 ideally), as this is a sunday, but body just felt pretty tired today - probably from yesterday's 6 mile XC race.
    Last Hard: Yesterday's race
    Last Rest: Thursday, grudgingly.

Roll on the new week, though.
  • HMHS - Yeh and club Xmas Do on Weds

Not worried now you have a new job. You'll be too busy trying to find out who is the MAN in each of your customers. And learning product knowledge.
  • Yep, HMHS, although they say that if you run more you'll see your times fall - I'm thinking I heard wrongly, as the more I've run this year, the more I've fallen!

Ankle is a lovely shade of purple on the outside of the leg now, and throbbing a bit so I guess it's time for more painkillers.

legionella - I reckon you've got a voodoo doll that you keep manipulating so I fall over and injure myself, and I still blame that accursed 'Best improved runner of 2005' award. Roll on the next winner of that jinx!
  • LizzyB - thanks for the advice, I might try for physio, although I don't own any children to sell them! Maybe I can sell some old, smelly trainers, or even my fell racers? I think XC and fell running is a bad idea for me... boo hoo!
  • FL - It is vicious rumour that I play with dolls. Well at least not all the time.

If you're short of kids to sell maybe I could help with one Devil child. Only kidding just in case the Mrs pops on here for a read.
  • Hi folks. Sorry not to have been posting for ages, though I have been lurking.

Lots of great racing and training has been going on.

FL, your question about your ankle. For keeping up your fitness, if it doesn't hurt its not doing any harm. YOu'll probably find that cycling or indoor rowing are fine long before you can run because the movement of the ankle is up and down whereas you've probably damaged the ligaments at the side. The important thing is strengthen the ankle. I think it was clink that suggested wobble board, but before you can do that work though standing on the one leg, then on tip toe, then mini one leg squats on tip toe, then the same with your eyes closed to challenge your balance, but only progress as you can with only minimal discomfort.

Then, I just wanted to report my daily training; well, yesterday's anyhow. I did my first proper ultra, ie not counting the 33s I've done, the Round Rotheram 50 (ml) a mainly off-road course. I just squeezed under 10 hrs (9:56) which had been a vague goal, though I had no idea how I'd get on in the last 15ml. The answer was that although I slowed a bit, I kept going pretty well, and really enjoyed the event and the distance - much easier than 5ml!.
  • Evening,

Hippo, fantastic effort in smashing your 10 mile pb, congratulations.
    FL, do nothing for a week (at least) then get on a rowing machine so long as there is no discomfort in the ankle.
    Clink, reps were completed in 80 seconds with 40 seconds recovery. By the end of each rep towards the end of the session I was working at 92/93% Max HR and recovering to 85/86% - I was “blowing” quite a bit.
    Stickless, well run
    Tiger Runner, excellent effort and congratulations on 1st in age group.
    Scobos, sounds marvellous in Cyprus, well done.
    TmR, completing an ultra – wow, respect.

Apologies if I have missed anyone.
  • Evening all,
    Busy one for me today, fitted in two runs plus marshalling a race, during whichI probably ran around 2-3miles to set the course up etc, so I guess I kinda done my first ever triple session if it counts? :p

STICKLESS:
    The answer to your question is yes and no!
    My lungs and chest were fine this morning, but I seemed to have picked up some kind of ankle strain during yesterdays race, kinda was big time ouch this morning, but this evening has just subsided to stiffness!

BR:
    Yes BT seems a happy chappy these days, his buisness is going very well and he is putting in some solid training, so yes things are going well for him, busy man!

What:
    am: 14.5mile easy/steady run. Ankle agony! took me 5-miles to be able to weight bear on it, then able to pick the pace up nicely mid-run, still felt strong at finish, though ankle was beginning to complain a little. 3:38 marathon pace according to Fetch log.

pm: 5.25miles steady run, bit windy and wet this evening, ankle a little better, no pain just stiff. fairly good run, felt quiet good considering the busy day!

Why:
    Aerobic endurance, getting ready for my first ever week doing two long runs ;)

• That's ok then Micksta.

TmR - yahooooooo! I can see a new sort of racing future for you... You sound like you enjoyed it at anyrate.
  • Tigerrunner - well done on the 1st prize and the turkey - I got 2 of them the other year when clubmate did not want his:-))

Popsider - glad you got round in one piece.

Hippo / Stickless - well done on your races

HMHS / FL / Legionella - the club handicap will be expertly worked out as usual:-)

FL - on your feet all day? I thought you had computers and whiteboards to do all your teaching these days...

Clink - do you think you're getting back to your best?

TmR - glad you enjoyed Rotherham and I hope you recover quickly from your efforts
  • tmr
    a 33 miler IS an ultra
  • BR,
    Do you think it's fair to say that's the last time you raced well ;-)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good luck FL - both in the injury dept and in the club draw! Tip.. bribe the treasurer {o:

NZC.. a fine effort on the track.

Stickless.. well done indeed, however 'crotch went numb, never a good sign' has to be the understatement of the weekend {O:

Well raced Hipps.

A swift recovery to RFJ.

Popsider.. good pacing for your MRs.

Well done to BR, Hilly & Micksta for Saturday.

TMR.. sub 10hrs for 50 miles, excellent. I was talking to my clubmate Shirley today who did the same event - she sends her regards.

Scobos.. a textbook set of results, awesome stuff!

Today was a very hilly but scenic route, mostly off road around the outskirts of Wetherby. 12 miles in all, this has been an annual club event for many years. Meself and a FLM bound clubmate ran to the start to add another 8 miles to the total.

We were also route guides for a few members of a rival club who we invited to join us. Quite how we 'guided' a 31 min 10k runner (top 30 in the Abbey Dash) is still baffling me. He must have kept doubling back! A nice bunch tough and a very enjoyable run. We managed to miss the worst of the weather thankfully.

20 miles for the day.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry 'tough' should be 'though' !
  • though tough seems appropriate in the circs wardi. the numbness happens occasionally, and is generally a warning that power is going to be cutoff. I think the walk breaks did a good job at preventing that cut-off - it didn't happen. Oddly, a very low (lower than lumbar) backache seems to be the most troublesome after effect of the race so far. Possible I do have some nerve problems in that area still.
  • And that's some run, Wardi!
  • BR,
    I didn't mean any offence by my last remark, just that despite the focus on base-training, for my money the last time you were running at close to your maximum potential was Turkey Trot in 2004 when you ran a 74min 1/2M.

Hope you feel like you're getting back there.
    cheers
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    never had my race today as I had to look after my Daughter. Sacrificed my place for the team and it worked as we won the team prize as our female runner(who would have watched my daughter)was second woman home.

Gutted though as it looked like I could have been top 5.

On the plus side I had a lovely 6+ miler from home this evening.
  • Evening all,

some great running , well done hipps, hilly, BR and Micksta.

FL - poo bad luck, plenty of rest is best

What; Nice slow LSD of 17.25 miles in 2:50 d&d. Very please after doing 10.5 late yesterday
    Why: Needed 50 miles this week and got 50.95! 60 next week!
    Last Hard: Thursdays hilly sesh I guess.

Have a great Monday!
  • Good evening

This is Pammie speaking, been about 2 weeks since i've last run, due to a number of reasons a tiny virus, work getting busy and a lot of little things as well.

Came back to change my name back to Pammie, sadly its been taken i did add an asterisk by name (now that would be a cool name) but i don't know getafix and was it obelix.

So have decided on a new name you can call me stormy for short. A new identity for a new era.

I can now run for Benfleet, just have to get my vest now ;) I didn't get into London so will be concentrating on 5k & 10k races as some of you already know.

Well done to those who have raced, will try and catch up.

Hippos any more marathons or ultras recently
    Glad to here BT is doing well Micksta.

Training recommenses tomorrow. Haven't felt guilty about not running maybe i needed the rest (work is manic roll on christmas)

Pammie
  • Pammie

er, Cornish on nov 19th, and luton last weekend

Try pammie in capitals??
  • Thanks for the well dones guys - most appreciated:-)

Happy birthday AJH.

Scooby - good long run.

Hipps - congrats - 2 PBs in one race - you deserve it.

Pops - congrats to you and your partner on your half - good to get it under your belt.

Clink - sounds like you are getting stronger and had a good race.

Stickless - congrats n the half - you did it!!

Tigerrunner - good prize haul - wht age Division?

Well done Scobos and Mrs Scobos - don't know how you can race day after day - it must be tough!

TMR - good to see you - congrats on the 50 miler - seems you are suited to ultras.

Great mileage Trini.

Hi Pammie - good to see you back.

Husband has just bought me lunch - off out in the sun to eat it:-)
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Marmite, when are you going to start posting regularly again??? Great result today. Are you on the championship start at FLM next year?

Stickless, glad I was of some assistance today, but it was really all down to you. I knew you would have a good time.

NZC, sounds like you had a good time yesterday. Does that make you think that the track next year will take precedence over the marathon?

TMR, that's a great time. I forgot it was on otherwise I would have come to watch. How muddy was it underfoot? It's hard to imagine that the the current record for the course is 6hrs 15 mins. HIPPO'S DOING IT NEXT YEAR :)

Scobos, that was a really impressive set of results. Are you spending hogmanay at your new house?

Hipps, it's been quite a good year for you, with several PB's. Are you going to do anything different next year?

Pammie, that's quite a strong message in your new name! Welcome back.

Today's session:

What: rest
    Why: because I wanted one!
    Last hard: yesterday

• Thanks folks. Wardi, I ran with your clubmate for a couple of miles, and at the end asked to send you my regards. Drew, it was remarkably dry underfoot; most of the footpaths through field were perfect compressed mud. Witht he perfect weather on the day as well it is hard to imagine the course could be better or faster at this time of year. 6:15 is hard to imagine. It would be just MtB's sort of race, though.