Trimpell 20 Mile Road Race

Anyone doing this race?

I'm doing it as prep for Edinburgh... I'm reliably told this is a quick course? This true?

Pug

Comments

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it! where and when..?
  • It's not very well publicised, is it?

eL Bee! and I might be doing this one, having heard about it from a personal recommendation, but finding out official information about little technicalities like how to enter has taken more than a little effort.
  • Just a touch, however... here's tas many details as I can get at the moment:

Distance: 20 miles
    Surface: Road
    Profile: Flat
    Traffic free? Yes
    Last year's entry: 400
    Extras

Water stations: Frequent
    Awards/mementos: Trophy
    Venue facilities: Changing, Toilets, Refreshments
    Entry Information

Cheques payable to: E Gardner
    On-the-day entry: No
    Entries in advance: Yes
    Postal closing date: TBC
    Limit: 800 competitors

Entries in advance only
    Normal Entries £12.00 affiliated £14.00 unaffiliated

Address: 58 Sibsey St
    Lancaster
    Lancashire
    LA1 5DF
    Day telephone: 01524 60537
    email: elaine_gardner@hotmail.com

Pug
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    I ran Trimpell this year, and found it pressed all the buttons. Not too much support along the way - plenty at the start/finish and some at Lancaster - but I guess for most this is a training run for Spring marathons rather than a target in itself.

Course follows a cycle track from Morecombe to Lancaster and then along the River Lune to Caton.

There was a two mile loop section around half-way, and a one mile loop near Lancaster - the rest was run in both directions. So there's a chance before half-way to watch the runners you aspire to be fly past in the opposite direction, and then after half-way to offer support to the runners you used to be.

Very, very flat. I'm not local to the area so can't say for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the cycle track follows an old railway line - it really is that flat.

I'll be there in March.
  • Good stuff, lets hope the weathers perfect for some fast times ;-)

Pug
  • Ran it last year - flat course out and back along old railway line. Well organised and marshalled. Winning time was something like 1.46.

Local for me so was ideal for pre FLM, parking a bit tricky at start (on road but not too bad) but otherwise good race.
  • I can't wait this is one of my more important races, I'll even be driving up the night before to stop over, proper prep fpr this one!

Pug
  • Do you need any help / suggestions for hotels or are you OK.
  • Pug - find a hotel with a decent italian restaurant nearby.
  • Have ran this race 3 times, nothing but praise for it.

Well organised, nice route. Its all good.
  • Yeah defo, if you've got any suggestions for hotels/B&B's etc, then let me know... as cheaper the better but yeah, within driving distance of an italian ;-)

Bendy, you doing this one?

Pug
  • Morecambe has some cr@p places to stay so would suggest Lancaster, 5 miles to start.

Premier Travel Inn just off junction 34 - you know what you are going to get.
    Holiday Inn opposite Travel Inn, pricier but has pool etc. (Race goes past these two hotels)
    Sun Hotel in Lancaster walking distance from loads of restaurants - only problem is has a really good pub downstairs so may be noisy late on and you can't enjoy it http://www.thewaterwitch.co.uk/Sun/hotel.htm.
    Lots of Italian restaurants or similar:
    Marcos - cheap early doors 5.30-6.30 so you can stuff yourself
    Il Bistro Morini - good bit more expensive than rest
    Etna - good not too pricey
    Ask - nationwide pasta / pizza chain
    Bella Pasta
    Look at http://www.lancasterukonline.net/visitors/eating_out/index.htm for more info.

Hope this is of some use and better do some work now instead of arseing about on internet.
  • All booked into the Travel Inn, me and one of the lads are twinning up. £50 all in... job's a good un'

now I suppose I better get a couple of 20 milers in before this race, make sure I'm in condition to get round ;-)

bowks Cheers for the info mate, much appreciated ;-)

Pug
  • Well, this now takes on more importance, beings as I cocked my half marathon up yesterday...

Anyoine else doing this?

Pug
  • I'll be there - perfect pre-London timing. Did it in 05 when the bridge near Caton was shut so it went along to Glasson Dock instead, so looking forward to running the 'proper' route - we use the cycle path now and again on our 'get the train to Morecambe then cycle back to Skipton via the Trough of Bowland' days out. Nice race - hope it's not too hot this year - suffered badly in 05.
  • Will it suffer if it's windy? Is it an open course?

Pug
  • anyone know what date this race will be next year as this year it caught me out by being a week earlier
    with London being earlier next year will it be run on the same weekend as this year?
    i usually do the adidas liverpool half marathon and like to do Trimpell the following weekend as prep for London
    so any news of 2008 date for Trimpnell would be much appreciated
    thanks