Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Rich, somehow I sense you are a little tense?????

• To say im nervous is an understatment -dreamt last night i was walking from six miles - Like being on a rollercoaster!!!
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    It's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal,
    it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal,it's normal,
    it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal, it's normal,
  • Glad to hear that Straycelt - I am doing my best to relax, but feel so fidgety! Just going to check my kit bag again ....
  • Glad it is normal, I have tried on my kit three times already.
    Keep checking train times. Will be so relieved to actually get to the start.

Rich, I dreamt I had a bad back,lost my shoes and then luckily I woke up before anything worse happened.

• Im off now - all the very best tomorrow everyone. Be careful, do well and I hope to see you around the course tomorrow.
  • Good luck to everyone tommorrow - see you in the recovery centre - i hope everyone achieves what they want and has a succesful day.

Just going to pack

And for good luck

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I know most of you have gone - but GOOD LUCK! Hope it goes your way, and look forward to hearing all the stories afterwards - it's going to be fantastic!

I bought some green hairspray today, so if you see a 6ft tall chick sporting a Macmillan vest, sunnies with orange lenses and bright green hair in bunches - give me a shout :)

Have a good one.
  • Tallbird - by the sounds were not going to miss you!!! Good luck on your target -you deserve it!
  • good luck everybody! Take is easy and have a great run.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FLM TOMORROW. You are all stars.

• Bit late, but have a great day all. Good luck to everyone!!
  • my version of a children's prayer - not that i'm particularly religious (sorry mum)

now I lay me down to sleep
    i pray the Lord my health to keep
    if i should panic before i wake
    i pray the Lord my fear to take
    God bless tweety (& mr, junior, mini, mum & dad tweety) flipper, darkie, rich21 (& his mum and missus), straycelt & his tart, tallbird and her green hair, lameduck, baz, debs, mandy, dawn, any other macmillan runner i've very stupidly missed, kirsty, nic and craigs w & f @ team macmillan, lyndsey & jeanette @ macmillan essex, slim at home magazine, romford recorder, herald and post, all of our sponsors and mainly all cancer patients, survivors and those who have been taken by this crappy disease.

this one's for you.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sleep well Tweety.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Tnx Tweety. lol and good luck everybody. May the best we wish for be the worst we have.
  • Been awake for an hour! Hope everyone got some sleep - this is guys - all the training all the ups and downs - all the hard work and worrying, after today we will all be sore but happy - we can all do this -
    tweety - im not even slighty religious but the last line did make me cry remembering my dad. Brought it all into perspective

Just like to say a big thank you to everyone on this site, sure i wouldnt have made it to today without your support - see you at the end guys

PS - Looking up already england finally won a game of cricket!
    R
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Anybody there?
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Yep. At hotel in London, drinking cold Guinness, tired, happy, PW 5.01.57 but with an 18lb tart to carry cannot and will not complain. Never again in costume like that however. Hope everyone got round ok, all in good condition and happy with performance etc. 1 sour note "Lost" kit bag at repatriation so could not change before coming back to hotel. Atmosphere awesome, support fantastic, just pity could not meet more people on way round. Saw loads of people from home town, previous lives/employments and even best man's younger brother..spooky. Even had a few interviews. Managed to plug Macmillan. More later post munchies. lol
  • I suffered from around mile 12 as my legs went to lead and I found it sooooo warm! (as did we all)
    Fortunately I managed to regain some sense in my legs at mile 22, actually ran the last mile and sprinted the finish to a chorus of Macmillan supporters.

I swore I would never do it again. I'm afraid I will hold to that unless they change it to January/ Feb and guarantee cooler weather!!

My hat off to you Stray celt, it is amazing anyone managed to run in a costume. I saw a wookie costume, heavily furred and was in huge admiration. Did not see you though and you beat me home!! How could I miss that?? I finished in around 5.55 (target was pre 6 hours in the end)

Hope everyone else got round safely. Nice to have met you, Becky, at the start.

Off to bed now for a long sleep......
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I got round in 3:39 - I was hoping to be a bit closer to 3:30, but my declared goal was sub-3:45 so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Found it v. tough - never really got into my stride, was expecting (hoping) the first half at least would feel easy given I was running at a fairly conservative pace - but it didn't - and that didn't do my morale much good.

Went through half way in 1:44 - and just got slower from there.

Did a fair bit of walking from 20 miles onwards - at every water stop and then a bit extra - I did manage to run reasonably quickly once I got going again, but it wasn't ideal, and I was quite disappointed in myself, even though there were LOTS of people walking by that stage.

I don't think tapering suits me, or the heat, and I am pretty sure that on a different day I could have cracked 3:30. Will I go back and try again next year? my immediate reaction is 'no' but now I have a GFA time, I might find it difficult to resist!

Thought the massage in the Mac recovery centre was fab - and the cup of tea and proper toilets - the supporters were amazing all the way round, have never had my name on my shirt before, and it was incredible.

I didn't notice any of the sights of London!

Did I enjoy it? To be honest - no - it was too far, and too hot and too hard, but it was definately an experience and I'm glad I did it.

I did meet Lame Duck (kind of) on the start line, which was nice, and another Mac runner recognised me from doing the Fleet half the other month (he was calmly overtaking me at the time).

Whatever happened though - we are all heros!!

Well done us :)
  • Morning All

Well I'm sporting the most ridiculous tan lines ever this morning (looks like I'm wearing a white vest). HUGE congratulations to everyone for finishing - that was easily the hardest race I've ever done. If all runs were like that I'd have given up years ago.

I got round in 3:56. Before the race I would have been disappointed with that, but now I'm absolutely chuffed just to have finished! A 1:42 first half followed by a 2:14 second half tells it's own story!

Got to meet Tweety, Tallbird, Baz & Debs which was great. Thanks so much to you and everyone else for the support on here, it's been great. Finally, massive thanks to any supporters who might be reading this - you were amazing.

Right, back to bed for me. Hope everyone's OK
  • Well Done Guys - was that tough or what?! My plan of 5:05 went completly went out of the window, I found the first 10 completely draining because of the heat, and a few water stations had run out of water! From 19 on it was hell, legs hurt like hell - so much harder than in any of my training runs which I couldn't understand! Anyway, 5:39ish for me, but the reward was in taking part - what a truly amazing day, fantastic support and so glad that I have experienced it.
    Struggling to walk this morning, a couple of dodgy toe nails but apart from that on cloud nine!
    So nice to see Straycelt on the highlights last night - well done you. (I did see your mate at the start - waving furiously at him thinking it was you, not realising there were two tarts on the course!)
  • Hello Everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS TO RUNNERS AND SUPPORTERS BOTH!

It was very hot, very hard and in places absolutely horrible, but what an amazing experience!

It was lovely to meet and chat to quite a few Macmillan runner and I think we definitely had the most fantastic supporters - they made such a difference to me.

I was hoping for 4.15-4.30 and so was delighted wtih 4.19 on such a day. Plus my son tells me I beat Matt Dawson and Gordon Ramsay!

Rest well now everybody.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Woo Hoo...still tired but v.happy. Late call from instructor and passed black belt grading. Just back in Wales and scoffed enormous, full fry breakfast, first in months. Bring on the real food. Don't think I'll train today! Heat was a bit oppressive and do not think I've ever, ever drunk so much in a race, even more than Rotterdam. So many encouraging fellow runners as well as the awesome crowds meant there was no way I could not complete. Never been so shattered at the end. Got interviewed on Tower Bridge by Colin Jackson, what a nice guy, then again at 17, managing to plug Macmillan twice so hopefully done some good. Could not believe the number of people who thought we were pizzas. Anyone who wants to see the costume, just search 5420 on the site or you can see Dave from Kipling on the BBC website for yesterday (Mad fool, his first marathon)Massage and drinks at FCO recovery were just sooooo welcome. All Mac people everywhere were superb yesterday and the cheer teams really did inspire. Well done all. lol
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Nice one Straycelt - you must be chuffed with your all round great performance!

Can't believe people thought you were a pizza - you were clearly a bakewell tart!

Well done everyone else as well - I saw lots of Macmillan runners, there seemed to be a few where I was running - and we seemed to overtake and then be overtaken most of the way round.

How did your leg hold up Lame Duck?

my quads are giving me stick this morning, as I suspected they would - but my poor old feet are the worst casualties - thank goodness for sandals is all I can say (although not in public - nobody should have to suffer the sight of my toes at the moment!).

Still wearing my medal :)
  • mornin'!

nice to meet a few of you yesterday - my mum & dad saw you and your tart straycelt!

i really suffered in the heat as a slower runner and they had run out of water at several stations. thanks to the london fire brigade for their hoses (!) i managed to brave a cold bath when i got home.

about 6.21 something for me. i realised at about mile 10 - 12 that the heat was too much and when i saw so many having to drop out, i had to think realistically. managed to spot everyone who had come to see me and recognised kirsty from macmillan (she spotted me as well!) at mile 25. got overtaken by a few mr men, rhinos, two trees and a couple of wombles.

lameduck - count me in for volunteering for next year, because i'm not doing this again!!!

p.s. still wearing my medal and finisher's tshirt at work today. the medal is staying on until someone takes it off me. i worked hard for it.
  • Just heard about the death of the 22 year old runner who collapsed at the finish. Very, very sad :-(
  • Didn't think there were any fatalities this year, very sad, so young as well.

I drank like a fish all the way as the one thing I feared was dehyration and collapsing. I guess you can never tell how it is going to affect you.

Today feel more human after another bath, managed to get down the stairs. Seeing physio later for one last massage. Won't have the excuse to have one anymore!