Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Have been looking at results, was Rich - Richard Pratt?? Can't find a finishing time for him on the results site.
    Hope all is okay.
  • Hi Amanda

Well done yesterday! It was so humid wasn't it. I think I must have drunk 8 - 10 litres on the way round yet still couldn't pee until this morning!?!

As for Rich, I think he is Richard Pratt - I can't find him either. Rich are you out there and are you OK????
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Oh no, Rich - where are yooooou?

Massage sounds good Amanda - I really enjoyed the one in the recovery centre yesterday, although it's difficult to tell how much it helped, I guess it's possible that I might have been even more sore without it!

General consensus around the forums seems to be that it was super hard work out there yesterday, which I have to admit is making me feel better that I found it so hard.

• tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Oh, and could the weather be any more perfect for marathon running today? Cool, cloudy and a few rain showers!!

Typical :)
  • rich - hope you are ok. lameduck - could we ask kirsty to contact him?
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Hope Rich21 is okay...he's chosen to keep details private so cannot be contacted through RW. Glad all other reports show all in reasonably good condition.
    Amanda..sports massage at least once per month as part of ongoing training surely!!!!
    Can honestly say post race massage, even just a 10 min job helped recovery for me by 2-3 days based on previous convictions over last 12 years and now seek whenever possible. Will see own physio for deeper tissue job Wed or Thursday once I've got the resolve because I know she'll hurt me for my own good.
    LD, respect on the time with the dodgy leg..wow! Did you celebrate as much as with the Mac Crew New York 2003?
    Well done again all and hope R21 gets in touch soon.
  • Hi SC. BIG, BIG respect and admiration for you - how on earth did you carry that tart around for 26 miles??? I think I'd have eaten it by mile 5! Tried to celebrate last night but just too tired, so happily went home to bed.
    No sign of Rich going through the 10km split, so am guessing he didn't start or had chip problems. If it was the former, in light of the sad news today, it was only a marathon and there will be plenty of others. Hope he's OK.

Gave up and left work at 4.30 - pretty useless today. Now seetled in for anight on the sofa with a bottle of wine ready to watch the race.
  • Hi All,

Its been a good day - wearing my medal with pride still, although my legs are getting progressively worse and a couple of toe nails are trying to get away from my toes!!

Tweety, I spent most of the time running with a pint of guiness, and got overtaken by an apple and a womble. Strangest thing was being 'annointed' by a priest outside a church in the early section - never expected that one ....

Reading the forums, the heat was obviously a serious problem, so although slow for some of us and hard going for all, glad we are safe and sound (but worried about Rich - let us know how you are mate).

• Hi, massage helped, but every time I sit for any length of time I can hardly get up again!!
    Am told it will worse tomorrow??

I might hit the £3K mark on sponsorship so am very happy about that.

Need to know we are all okay, so hope Rich gets in touch soon. All I know is that he lives in Purley.
  • Pah - beaten to 700. Tweety - we're slipping!
    Feeling more human today (but did go to bed at 8.00 last night). Hope everyone else if felling a bit better too
  • i have just enjoyed a lovely fat sausage in a crusty roll for breakfast (apologies to any veggies) and it was gorgeous. nurse in front of me in the queue in the staff canteen had porridge and honey!

hubby is taking me out for a full english on saturday morning. yeehah!

i ache a bit more today (have to remember to keep moving) and didn't sleep very well because mini tweety decided to wake up at 3am crying and wanted to watch teletubbies (don't ask.)

rich - hope you're ok.

lameduck - race you to 800!
  • My legs feel worse today.

Had a yearning for fried egg sandwiches yesterday, hope it doesn't last or else I'll be a as big as a house.

Not sure what to do with myself now. A bit of an anti climax although I am still congratulating myself. I'll be a marathon bore in no time!!

• tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I wish I lived in a flat or a bungalow! Getting down stairs is even harder today as my calf muscles have now joined my quads in being stiff as boards :)

Was expected though - and is a sign that things will get better from here on in!

So, what events have people got on next then? You entered any more races Amanda?

I have just had boiled eggs & toast soldiers - fab - but you are right about having to reign in the eating a bit, and I will do - once all the 'spare' race day mars bars are eaten :)

Still no Rich though....
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Had intended, were I still in gainful employment to do 3 in 3 weeks. There is a precedent as I did it two years ago, but the heat of Rotterdam, the weight of cake and the lack of work support buddies means there's little in it for me or Macmillan to do Shakespeare Marathon on Sunday. Won't get a good time, not sure if I'd have a good time but will make a call on Saturday. Plugged in some 10ks and Halves to tick over the summer but will be off to Amsterdam in October. (Have this ambition to do world top 10 as noted by RW in the past (LondonY, BerlinY, RotterdamY, AmsterdamN,StockholmN, New YorkY,ChicagoY, WashingtonN, BostonN,HonoluluN) so turn Amsterdam to a Y leaves just the four N's to do.) Fancy Stockholm and Boston next year so might be able to raise some support sponsorship by then. Amsterdam a good long weekend jaunt and every chance of a pb. Told it's quite flat. Legs only get better form here on in guys so enjoy the recovery and tuck in to the munchies. All well deserved.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    You are a super star straycelt - well done!

I was in Stockholm last year when the marathon was on - spending a couple of days there after a week of hiking in the arctic circle (now that was cool) with a couple of swedish friends. It was fiendishly hot, and the runners didn't look all that happy on the whole! Not to put you off though as Stockholm (and Sweden generally) is tops and I would highly recommend it!

I have no races planned at the moment - which is very unusual for me. Will do a couple of the summer race series's that are on round here over the summer months - looking to blast my PBs at 10k and 5mile distances (fingers crossed), maybe do the Wycombe half again in July and the Marlow in November - am tempted by an autumn marathon, which suprises me since 2 days ago I was definately NEVER doing one again, but I am sure I could crack 3:30 and would like to see if I can.

• baz - how did you do? did you get the time you were hoping for?

straycelt - watched the highlights programme last night; pat on the back to you for excellent Macmillan plug! I am still waiting for my Mr Kipling freebies....
  • Hi all
    Back to work today, so just catching up with all the posts since Friday.
    Like everyone else, the heat got to me a bit as well. Didn't quite get the 3:10 I wanted, but did scrape in under 3:15 to get another GFA qualifying time. Had been flying upto halfway, doing 1:33:30 & feeling fantastic. Legs were very tight yesterday, but feeling better today. May go foe a very short & very slow jog tonight.
    Good to see Lame Duck at the recovery centre & to realise we knew each other from previous FLM's.
    Like everyone else, hope Rich is ok & we hear from him soon
  • Had two boiled eggs for lunch (I think Tailbord's mention of them got to me) and then...two hours solid sleep, golly I guess I must have needed it, but feel very lazy and indulgent now.

Tailbird, you ask when is my next run??? It may be on the 10th of Never, but more likely October in the Kingston Run. I run for fun til then.
  • Actuall, I guess the date should be the 12th of never (and that's a long long time) for those of you who remember!!
  • You can certainly tell I have been asleep...
  • hi guys; writting this from hospital, got to 600 yrds from the end in sub fivehours time and my legs collapsed tried to limp the lastbit but eventually could not move, taken by ambulance to univesirty colledge but well and truely screwed up my kidneys, no lasting damage they think

the word is devastated, thanks for messages going to take me a while to get over this disapointment but that poor lad died so should be gratfull

well done for all finshing glad you all did well,

perhaps try and get on site later in the week
  • Rich. Not quite sure what to say, other tha we're all sooooooooooo relieved to hear from you.

There will always be other marathons but there's only one you so the main thing - the only thing - is that you're OK. Get well soon!!!
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Rich - can imagine your devastation - but like Lame Duck says, main thing is that you are OK, even if it might not feel like that to you!

Hope you make a swift recovery.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Rich...so glad to hear you are on the mend, so sorry to read what happened. As LD and TB say, main thing is you as there will always be other marathons. Thanks for all your support and I think you can definitely count on ours. Keep us all posted on progress buddy. Hang tough
  • So sorry to hear what happened Rich. At least you are okay and on the mend now.

As all say, let us know how things are, hope you get home soon.
  • Rich,

So glad to hear from you matey - I was beginning to fear the worst today knowing that there were still two people in hospital, but not really wanting to consider that one of them could be you, but couldn't really think of any other reason we hadn't heard from you. My thoughts are with you, concentrate on getting well and keep us posted. Well done Rich, I echo everyones thoughts, and we are all right with you still matey.
  • Rich -
    fantastic to see you back in touch but so sorry to hear about your ordeal -
    take very good care and get well soon. We're all thinking of you xx
  • cheers guys - at least i know i gave it everything - should have walked but hindsight is a powerfull thing

im keeping positve by thinking that i raised over 3k and enjoyed it untill my body gave up

if nothing else ive made some good mates on the forum

ps well done on the black belt straycelt - knew you would do it!
  • Rich - so relieved to hear from you. Get well soon.
  • & congrats straycelt! can't believe i forgot to say anything!