Options

Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Options
    Baz - Well good luck with the target, 3.15 is impressive.

Good luck with the long runs tommorrow everyone - lets hope the weather stays nice! Got 10 miles planned - into double figures - its a milestone at least!!
  • Options
    Have just bought new pair of Asics, now need some charity myself!! I always seem to pick the newest model/most expensive ones!
  • Options
    But when you get to 18 miles and your feet feel blister free and comfy they will be worth every penny!!

Im the same, they bring out loads of shoes and the ones i pick are always alot more than the others!
  • Options
    rich21 - 10 miles planned for me on sunday. first time i go into double figures as well!

amanda - i remember the first time i bought running shoes. i nearly passed out in the shop and they were a sale price as well!
  • Options
    Good luck tweety - be able to congratulate each other on monday morning!!

No rain or snow forcast for tommorrow - good good
  • Options
    Ditto the 10 miles - I am running the Canterbury 10 tomorrow - slow but sure I hope, and a boost mentally. Sundays are so much fun now - up at 7:30am is becoming normal!
  • Options
    Well rubbish weekend for me - only managed eight and a half. Had a dodgy takeaway on friday and felt awful before i set off, struggled from the start but managed to drag myself on a shorter run. Not letting it set me back - staying positive!

Next focus of training is diet! Realised the hard way that junk food is not good for training

How did everyone else get on debs? Tweety?
  • Options
    Well rubbish weekend for me - only managed eight and a half. Had a dodgy takeaway on friday and felt awful before i set off, struggled from the start but managed to drag myself on a shorter run. Not letting it set me back - staying positive!

Next focus of training is diet! Realised the hard way that junk food is not good for training

How did everyone else get on debs? Tweety?
  • Options
    Morning All

I had a rubbish weekend too Rich! Went down with man flu early last week and still felt pretty dreadful over the weekend, so managed a steady 6 miler. However, there's loads of time to go and everyone will have the odd bad week, so don't be too hard on yourself. Hope everyone else had good runs - it's better weather this week too; woo-hoo!
    Quack!
  • Options
    Rich,

Sorry it wasn't good for you, but we are all going to have bad ones. Lucky for me, I had a good one, I really enjoyed my run at Canterbury - great race, and pleased to get round in a decent time (for me), although I know I should only have been plodding, and the leg is holding out so far, just a little creaky today.

Sorry about the man flu lame duck - I have heard it can be really nasty....

• Options
    Well done debs - glad it went well. Im off for a five mile run tonight to redeem myself! Sensible eatting today as well - its so boring!

Man flus a killer, read somewhere its really dangorous to run with a virus but as your typing posts i assume it didnt do you any harm!
  • Options
    I did 1 hour 20mins yesterday, I judge myself by time rather than distance as I know my own pace. I now feel, reading the other messages that I am behind in distance a little!! It's still early days. What is the longest run anyone will do pre marathon??
  • Options
    Amanda - Well done on the long run

I have found its better not to judge yourself against everyone - for example people like baz who are going for really quick times will run alot further on slow runs than you or me. I ran for 1hr 30 mins at weekend. Was hoping for further but didnt go as planned! Think the longest my programme gets up to is 20miles

Are you following a programme?
  • Options
    afternoon all. there seems to be a few suffering from man 'flu (male and female). i can highly recommend a daily dose of zinc and echinacea (should be taken for two week blocks at a time with a 2 week rest.) have severely lessened my frequency of colds this year.

my run went quite well on sunday. woke up feeling a bit grim on sunday for some reason and had a headache but forced myself to eat some porridge and sugar and a couple of oatcakes. 10 miles was good, apart from a strong wind at about 5 miles and it was a a bit of struggle between 7 and 8.5. But i did it thank goodness. Feel I have overcome a mental obstacle. 12 miles next Sunday; yikes!

Who's coming on Saturday?
  • Options
    Got a twinge in my right hamstring yesterday, not serious but still a bit of a nuisance.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Rich21. My programme is self inflicted! ie I made it up with bits from others. Last time I did the marathon my longest run was far too short at 13 miles so I am intending on geting to 16 this time, I still feel that is not enough, but 20 sounds horrendous. I am what's called a "plodder", but I get there in the end!!
  • Options
    Id say try to get yourself a programme such as runners world and try that (but im no expert, better off asking one of the veterans!) and see how you get on. I personally wouldnt trust myself to make up a programme. Rather follow follow one done by expert

Stick with it though! And 20 miles sounds horrendous to me as well at this stage but im certain i can do it with the training!! Postive thinking or foolish optimism, cant decide!!
  • Options
    I'd say 20 miles is the minimum, but try to do it with a partner, those miles are long on your own.
  • Options
    Tweety & Co,

I will be there Saturday - look forward to seeing you there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice about programmes, I will take a look at some to suit me. I can't get there Saturday, have a good day.
  • Options
    amanda, the john bingham book 'marathon running for mortals' is excellent. it has some great schedules in it, one of which i am following.

hope everyone's man flu is ok today. not quite as cold today for my run at lunchtime.
  • Options
    okay, have ordered that one!! I did some swimming today as my legs were aching from Suundays run!
  • Options
    Thought I'd do the same as Tweety. My mugshot from 3 years ago is on the page which might encourage you (or not!)to sponsor me. Thanks!
  • Options
    My legs felt like lead last night but once i got going went really well. Managed 5 miles strongly. Its getting easier im sure!

Still managing to eat well but its a struggle. I just love unhealthy food!

Ill chuck a fiver in each when i get a minute tommorrow!

• Options
    rich, i have always struggled at the beginning of my runs. it always takes me a good 10 minutes to feel comfortable. perhaps it's my body's way of saying 'what the hell are you doing?'

know exactly what you mean about eating well. i am trying to lose a bit at the moment and doing ok but my OH said yesterday 'i'll be bloody glad when you're off this diet.' it's only because at weekends, i like to scoff myself silly and because i can't, i'm a bit moody (ha, ha.) i am hoping that being a bit smaller may help me run a bit faster! i can dream!
  • Options
    Hi All

I've been trying to eat well too and have thus far shed 6lbs since the start of the year (hooray). However, I'm increasingly finding that the day after running I'm absolutely famished - is this just me?
    quack.
  • Options
    lame duck - Im the same , hungry all the time, trying to snack on fruit and healthy stuff though in sure the chicken and bacon bagguette ive just devoured isnt at all healthy!

Well done on the weight loss.

Tweety - glad im not the only one then that struggles in the begining. Im trying to avoid the weekend splurges as well. As i do long run on saturday may let myself go sat night then i have sunday to recover. All work and no play and all that!

Used a great gadget at the physio today. A massage stick, really gets deep into all the muscles and relaxs them brilliantly. Only problem is it £40 (yes for a stick!!) On my wish list!
  • Options
    Rich / Tweety - It's not unusual to take a bit of time to get into your running. I used to be the same, it would take me about a mile and a half before my breathing would relax & everything just falls into place. I have noticed, that since I have been running all year round, that it's not a problem anymore.
    Lame Duck - 6lbs is a tremendous effort. As everyone's miles increase, you should all start to see the lbs fall off. As long as you don't increase your food intake too much, of course. If you think that a 10 stone person uses about 100 calories per mile when your running, if you do 30 miles a week you will be burning an extra 3000 calories. Which is 1-1.5 days food.
  • Options
    baz - how many doughnuts is 3000 cals do you reckon?! i have noticed now that i've stepped up my training due to FLM, the running is definitely getting easier.

lame duck - well done on the weight loss. i've lost about the same and colleagues at work keep commenting that i'm going to disappear soon! that's definitely not going to happen as i like my food too much....
  • Options
    btw, i am probably going to wear a yellow tweety pie tshirt on saturday that says 'bad puddy tat' and a small green Macmillan badge.

please come and say hello/laugh at me.