Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Mike19Mike19 ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Just recently signed up for Macmillan. Just in time to get a few aches. Not too worried as longest run last week was just under 16 miles(not very quickly). A couple of days rest will hopefully sort them out.

Debs - it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are. We all get the same medal so go at the pace you're comfortable with.

Richard - The walk break thing is not as big a problem as you might think. It's much harder to get going again if you're trying to run all the way.

• Right, some more opinions required!
    Saw the consultant this morning and he has diagnosed either stress fracture or tibia fasciitis. Either way I have to rest. He has referred me for an MRI as I want a definite decision.
    I need to know what folk think, he told me I would be able to run with a stress fracture as it won't get any worse (I told him the run is important to me)
    Can't find anything about tibia fasciitis on the net, do you agree about running with stress fracture even if small one?
    I came out feeling very relieved and am now not sure.
  • Mike19Mike19 ✭✭✭
    Amanda
    I would suggest putting that question up on the injury section... better chance of getting an answer from one of the doctors somebody with experience of it.
    A lot boils down to what your expectation is? Finish or beat some time on the clock? If it's finish then losing a week now isn't going to stop that happening. Just remember not to try making up for lost time otherwise you'll be back to square one and lose even more time.
    People have finished from worse positions than this in the past
  • I have had a think and I really would not want to run on a stress fracture, I wouldn't enjoy it and the aftermath would be horrid. I think I would defer if i was diagnosed with that. I am not too worried about losing a week or two training, I lost two weeks or so last time I did it anbd I still coped.
  • Thanks for all the advice and support from this thread. I will sign off now until I knwo the results of the scan. If you hear from me again I am still in!!
  • Good luck amanda - keep my fingers crossed it turns out ok

Hope everyones lsr went well this weekend - did 12 miles yesterday and really please to finsh it as back on track now with my programme - legs are feeling stiff today and knees a bit sore.

Anyone else get this?
  • Rich,

14 today, and I have to say it was hard - the thought of adding another 12 on top of that seems very daunting at the moment. Legs and knees are sore too, but off to a school of oesteopathy tomorrow which has a sports clinic and reasonable price sports massage, so hoping that gets rid of the aches and pains.

But, we do have another two months to get there.....
  • a reduction to 6 miles today for me on my schedule. found it quite hard partly due to missing a couple of runs during the week because of the weather.
    eating has gone down the pan the last few days. have to reign it in a bit now.

hope it goes well amanda. fingers crossed.

rich - i was quite sore last week after my 12 miler. i think it's partly due to your body getting used to it. just try to take it easy. mind you, i'm not expert.
  • Morning All

I feel fine after a days rest now (well i played golf) Think the walk actually helped keep my legs from getting too stiff - think its just the effort over twelve miles - still running at a slow pace over the distance and hold myself back. Going to do an six miles tonight - got 14 miles at the weekend before a more restful week!

Well done on the 14 debs - i was thinking the same as you on saturday that there is alot further to go but think back to the start of the programme when 7 seemed a long way and it dont seem that bad!

Tweety - sounds like you need to get some winter gear! Hope everything gets back on track next week
  • Hi everyone,

I've just signed up to Macmillan (I got a ballot place hence being late sorting myself out with a charity).
    Haven't got the pack or anything yet but was promised it for this week.

Hope everyone's training is going well and that any injuries are healing.
    I did 18 miles at the weekend for the first time - am actually starting to feel as if I can do this now.

Looking forward to chatting and meeting you all!

TT
    x
  • Hello all

sounds like some good long runs being put in - and a few familiar aches and pains coming up!

I did 20 on Sunday and am currently obsessing about a niggly pain that I have on the outside of my left knee. Has been creeping in for a couple of weeks now - but is definately worse since sunday.

Am fairly certain it is ITBS though - so will be stretching obsessively for the next few days :)

Bad luck on your inconclusive results Amanda - nothing worse really - definately better to know what you are facing.

Step back week for me this week - 'only' 13 miles to do on Sunday (woo hoo) and then the Bramley 20 mile 'race' the weekend after!

Brilliant.

Keep on training!
  • Hi all
    Good to hear that, generally everyone is going well & their miles are increasing
    Amanda - hope you are ok, I'm certainly with you & don't think I would want to run with a stress fracture.
    Tailbird - The stretching is essential for all of us & definitely good for your ITBS.
    My training is well on schedule. Did 17.7 miles on Sunday fairly comfortably in 2:22 taking me to 43.5 miles for the week. Now starting to feel a lot better about getting a decent time. Aim to be doing 20 miles by end of the month & 50+ miles per week.
  • Hi there1 My leg is definitely getting better. No scan done yet, but as it is so improved (ie I can hop without pain now!) I am going out on a test run tomorrow. Just a short jog round the park to see how it holds up. Have been icing, massaging, doing shin strengthening exercises, walking on heels, stretching for most of the time during the last week. My family and house have been ignored!!
    Fingers crossed!!
  • Hey Amanda,

Brilliant news - great to have you back. Take it steady now.
    Family?? House?? I can't remember the last time I got the hoover out, and my husband is feeling very neglected. I have a feeling we are all going to have a lot of 'making up' to do after April!

My legs feeling very heavy today - went out last night for the first time since my longest run Sunday, and really feeling it today. Any top-tips out there to help with this, apart from copious amounts of stretching?
  • Glad to see everyones going well - i can symapthise amanda i have a touch of flippin shin splints - not that painful but uncomfortable, taking my rest week and week early and easing off and following physios advice and apparently wont be an issue!!. Hopefully come the day will both be on track

Do people use energy gel? Tried sis and it works but huge packets and lucozade which is hideous! Any recommendations, jellybabies dont seem to work that well for me any more!

Anyone doing the addidas half on the 18th March - see there is a macmillian lunch there

• Amanda - Good to hear that, really hope it is ok. Maybe it just needed the rest.
    Debs - Crazy as it seems, going for a shortish, slow run on the Monday should help with the aching legs. It seems to get rid of all the lactic & tightness that has built up on the long run. Also, as you increase mileage, you will feel a bit more tired generally & especially the legs. that's why it's a good idea to have an 'easy' week about every 4th week, exactly the way Rich is doing.
  • Thanks Baz,

I will give Monday lunch time a try next week. I am away ski-ing 25/2, so hardly a rest week, but certainly intend to make that my step-back week and give the trainers a rest for a dew days. Im sure a week of cross training will be adequate exercise!
  • it's great that everyone is so supportive, now can anyone give me some tips on a training plan? I am a bit stuck on how long to run now and not to do too much too quickly!! Am planning run on Sunday which will be my first long run for two weeks, have been in the gym since then.
  • What was originally down for this week amanda? I would take it slowly and do a distance i know i can do and just get confidence. Start slow build up - still got two months to build up distance. Do you run walk or just run? May be wise doing the former to get some distance in your legs again?

I know next to nothing though!! Bear that in mind!!
  • Thanks for that Rich, I am planning some cross training tomorrow and then a run Sunday, but will keep it to a steady pace (I never go very fast anyway!)and see how I feel. No ill effects from yesterdays short run. I had the MRI scan today as they rang with a cancellation, but the results won't be through til next week and I just can't afford to wait.

• Good luck with the scan amanda - hope it gives you the all clear and good luck with the longer run.

Im off to do 8 miles now (rest week woo hoo) then off to lisbon for a long weekend (again woo hoo).

Happy training everyone
  • Rich21 - don't use gels but have started using Jelly Baby Sports Beans on long runs and they do help.

Nice orange flavour too :-)
  • Hello all,

Amanda - I am doing the 3 runs a week training programme mainly because of injury woes I have had in the past with trying to do higher mileage programmes. Basic premise is that you do 3 quality running sessions a week (no plodding allowed) and then 2 or 3 X-training sessions as well. Might be worth a look? Runnersworld did a simple version of it... (just looking for it).... ah, here you go
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2493

On the energy gel thing - for my 20 last week I had a 500ml bottle of lucozade energy drink before I left the house, I took anther 500ml bottle of water with me for my first 6 miles, finished that and had a gel at the end of that lap, picked up another 500ml of lucozade for my next 8 mile lap (which I finished before I got home), and then had a quick couple of swigs of my final bottle when I swung past the house for my last lap.

I was hearily sick of sweet stuff by the end of all that - and I think I am going to try more gels (I used lucozade) and plain water next time.

Personally I can't eat on the run - just can't stomach it.

In other news - had a bit of a downer this week. Was aching like mad on Monday after my long run, and my knee was still pretty creaky on Tuesday so I went for an hour cycling instead of running and ran on Wednesday instead.

Have started struggling with my intervals and tempo runs a bit - guess that my legs are just tired, but also I am starting to get a bit of the negative talk going on

"it's too far"
    "I can't do it"
    "what was I thinking"
    etc.

Am trying to buck myself up - and do know that things usually go like this - ups and downs!

So. Looking forward to seeing all your long run reports tomorrow! Good luck.
  • fingers crossed for the MRI results amanda.

i had some excellent advice from these forums. i also went to runners need at liverpool street on thursday. the guy that i chatted to was really helpful and had plenty of advice. i am trying gels for the first time tomorrow on my LSR.

14 miles for me tomorrow. eek!

what half is everyone doing? i am doing my local; brentwood 1/2.
  • ooh, and have a nice time in lisbon rich.
  • Tweety

What time are you doing your run tomorrow?
  • Hi All,

16 today - and I have to say it was hard. My legs are really aching, I guess the cumulative effect is starting to tell. I'm with you Tailbird on the mental side, times today when I really didn't want to go on, and still that devil on my shoulder reminding me that there is another ten miles to do on top of this! Another two hours of that seems impossible at this point, (although impossible is nothing, we are told!). Just glad that I have a good crowd at the club to run with, I just know I couldn't do this on my own. Looking forward to a massage tomorrow, I hope it helps.

I hope everyone else 'enjoyed' their long runs this weekend.........
  • tweety

Well done on your 14 miles.

Plodder Debs

When I did an 19 mile for my first marathon I was nearly crying.

Good luck to you all.
  • Tweety - you based around Brentwood then?

I work in basildon and currently live in Sarfend during the week :-)

Do most my weekly runs around Basildon park at lunchtimes :-)