Options

Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Options
    Hello all,

I'm running the FLM for the first time this year and for Macmillan. I got in through the Bequest Draw, I was stunned!!

Anyway, did my first long run on Sunday, 17.5 miles. Hard but good... I hope the London course is flatter than Brosmgrove!!

I only took water with me, I reckon I need something else too. There's no way I can eat on a run but I think gels might be ok. Anyone recommend anything, how many, when amd how often etc... ?

Cheers
    Chris
  • Options
    Morning all

Back from lisbon, slighty fatter and minus a camera (flippin pickpockets, grrrrr)Nice place and very hilly, sure it was good for leg strength

Glad everyones training is going well. Seen physio this morning as "shin splints" were still there - she proceeded to torture me for 25 mins and has freed up them muscles and feel alot better for it and pain has dissapeared (its been replaced by bruising!!)Apparently all caused by muscle tightening around tendons - 14 miles at the weekend! Going to be a struggle i belive as been away and running went out the window but staying positive!

Tweety - SIS gels are ok, taste like jelly but the packets are large as they are mixed with water.

Chris - welcome to the thread - last time out i ran for 2hrs and a bit and had a couple of gel satchels and got me through - think one every 45 min is about right for me but depends on alot of things im sure - think its about experimenting to find right mix
  • Options
    rich21 - i have SIS blackcurrant to try this weekend. i had carb boom last weekend; taste was ok but had the consistency of wallpaper paste (thanks for that tracey g.) i also have hi5 gels to try as well, much to my amusement because my daughter's favourite programme has the same name.

rich - i work for a brazilian. i can ask him for a few choice portuguese swear words if/when you go back to lisbon if you like!

richard davies - i live just outside romford. saaafend was my first 10k last october. i only went for the fish and chips afterwards!!!

chris - jelly babies are good if you can manage to chew anything. the sports drink this year on the course is lucozade sport orange flavour.
  • Options
    Off for a ten miler this afternoon and then a week of rest for me (well, as restful as a week of ski-ing can be). I will try and get a couple of sessions on the treadmill in and a swim or two - I hope this will be enough to keep me ticking over.

Tweety, I tried the gels once and agree with you - just ghastly. I have some Jelly Belly Sports Beans to try next time, I will let you know how I get on with them. I have been on the jelly babies up until now, not sure if they are doing much, but its become a bit of a ritual now - one every mile!

Just signed up for the Worthing 20 on 1/4 and am doing Milton Keynes half on 11/3 - anyone else going to be at either of those?

Enjoy your runs all - have a good week - you KNOW we can do this now ......
  • Options
    Enjoy the hols debs. Hope theres plenty of snow - hear its been a bit sparce this year.

Ive just got sqeezy gel to try this sunday and also a carb boom which im looking forward to after tweetys glowing report!

Over half way this saturday (14 miles)!! Bring it on ... Good luck all
  • Options
    Hi there all. I do not have stress fracture (hurray!) nor do I have fasciitis. Continual icing and stretching seems to be the only solution (and my friendly physio). Swimming tomorrow and a long run Sunday, tho my long runs are below the mileage I should be up to. I have entered my local run in Kingston (16 miles) on April 1st as my last long run before tapering down, no way will i get to 20 apart from on the big day (with luck and the wind behind me!)
    Have a good weekend.
  • Options
    Tweety

Good luck with your LSR this weekend. I will be thinking of you as I try to get a pb for my Fetch bets.
  • Options
    Well over half way done!!! Really bad run though - struggled like hell from nine miles and legs felt like lead. Mistimed carbs, ran out of energy gel and ran on empty - lesson learned.

Postives out of it - powerbar gels are really nice and work well, shame i only had one to take. (try the strawberry ones, taste like chewey sweets!) And i also found that i have at least got a bit of toughness when i think i cant go on i can run a bit further!

How did everyone elses runs go? Better i hope? Less than two months now - hows everyones fund raising going?
  • Options
    Hey all,

Bramley 20 mile 'race' for me today - much more 'fun' than running so far by yourself.

Did fall into the trap of going off a bit too fast, and suffered for it later on - but managed 2hrs 45 - which i was pretty pleased with.

Legs are stunningly tired just now - but not so suprising!

8 weeks to go. ooooo.
  • Options
    Hi all
    Great to hear that everyones traing is still heading in the right direction as we enter the really tough month. This should be everyone's longest weeks before April's taper.
    I have managed 2 weeks with 19 mile long runs, the last one quite hilly in 2:42. Hoping for a 20 miler this weekend & have my 1/2 marathon booked for 18th March at Redcar. After that, I will have good idea about what sort of time is achievable in London
  • Options
    no running for me since friday :-( woke up sunday with headache which turned into a migraine and have now got a cold and terrible chesty cough.

please send get well thoughts.

p.s. there's loads of green stuff in clinton cards/birthdays at the moment (for paddy's day) which might be good for your supporters (or yourselves) for race day. mini tweety has a plastic green top hat and i have a whistle on a chain.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the cold Tweety, get well thoughts sent.

Will definitely check out the green stuff. I wore some learner signs on my head last time.

Training today was tough as I felt mentally unready. Have heard my job being made redundant! It is only part time but it is mine!
  • Options
    Get well thoughts to you Tweety if I can have some in return.

Mr TB had a cold last week, and I thought I had avoided it - today it seems no such luck :(

Is one of those things isn't it - do you run, don't you run.

Have decided not to - another rest day today, hopefully back to it tomorrow!
  • Options
    Try minidex and that new first defence stuff tweety. My missus is a teacher and regularly picks up colds. Can got minidex (think thats what its called) its a tonic and works a treat at fighting infection

Hope you get well soon.

Sorry to hear about your job amanda - you havent had a lot of luck recently with the leg as well - perhaps this means your marathon will go like a dream
  • Options
    Hello All

Glad to hear everyone is progressing well (espcially good to hear no stress fracture Amanda!).

Sadly, my training has come to a halt and am beginning to panic a bit. Picked up awhat sounds like a chest infection over two weeks ago which I just can't seem to shift. Am going back to the doctor's tomorrow for some antibiotics but still don't feel up to running. Am scheduled to be running 20 miles on Saturday and having missed so much training am psyching myself up to do it regardless of how I feel (not very sensible but can't afford to sit at home any longer). Right, best head off for another bottle of Benylin (at this rate I'll be in rehab over the stuff). Quack (croak)
  • Options
    Tailbird/Tweety/Lame Duck - The general rule of thumb for running with colds is
    If it's above the neck, you should be ok. But below the neck, ie on the chest, it's not a good idea. You may be able to get a short run in, but don't risk anything long. Hope you are all feeling better soon.
  • Options
    I Get rid of one niggle and get another, muscle/tendon on the outside of my left knee is giving me some stick today - really tender - hard work this training aint it - anyone know if that the dreaded IT band?

Lame duck - i reckon that going out and running 20 miles with hampered training would be torture - good luck

Tallbird - everyone in the office has a cold, im hoping that im going to avoid that but with my luck at moment - my trainee keeps coughing - im going to make him stand outside at this rate! Sure missing a few days wont affect it too much - especially as you sound like your flying with your training
  • Options
    Tweety/lame duck/tall bird (very bird oriontated this site isnt it!!!!)

Just checked now im home and that stuff i was on about is called metatone - tastes like rubbish but really good and blitzs colds and builds you up when your feeling run down - works wonders - sell it at tescos

I use it whenever im feeling like ive got a cold and 9 times out of ten it sorts it out
  • Options
    thanks for the get well wishes and advice everyone.

get well wishes to everyone else at the moment. seems we are all suffering in one way or another!

my cough is definitely chesty at the moment but am full of head cold as well. feel like i am turning a corner though, thank goodness.

Macmillan press office conctacted me today; a slimming magazine has asked if they could interview me about running for macmillan and my weight loss. i get a day out and makeover; woo hoo! loads of publicity for macmillan as well and hopefully a few more quid for the coffers. my mum is really chuffed; they have said i can take a friend or family member.

no autographs please!!!
  • Options
    p.s. i was ashamed to admit to the press office that whilst reading her email, i was munching on a flake!!!
  • Options
    well done on the magazine deal!
    Hope the cough is improved.
    Bought some of that Metatone recommended by Rich (just in case I fall victim to a cold as well).
    Tried jelly babies at the weekend but I almost choked, must get some gel.

• Options
    Evening all

Had a good run today and really happy, ran 15 miles strongly and finally feeling like im getting there - seem to have a diffrent injury after each long run!- blisters this week, probably because the last five miles were through water due to the horrible rain. Was soaked to the skin but strangley had a a big smile on my face!!

How did everyone else get on, not been washed away i hope

Hows everyones colds?

PS Tweety, well done on being a celeb! Ill look out for you in the paper!
  • Options
    Yes - what a lovely (wet) day it was yesterday, I had to keep telling myself I didnt have to be doing this, I just chose to... 15 miles yesterday on the back of a week of ski-ing was a little tough to say the least - had been hoping to do a bit more, but picked up a slight hip niggle last week and didn't want to push it.
    Had a couple of wonderful sports massages whilst away last week, and they really do hit the spot - I am definely going to get myself a few more of those.
    Sorry to hear of all the coughs and colds, hope you are all feeling better now.
    Well done Tweety with the magazine deal - enjoy the day.
  • Options
    Hello All

Hope everyone is feeling better and had a good weekend. I chose to ignore my doctor and headed out for a tentative 18 miler on Saturday. Although it was a bit slower than I would have liked all went well and it seems to have actually helped my cold as my cough has definitely got better (this may have had something to do with the bottle of wine I drank on Saturday night). I also took myself off for a massage yesterday and it was brilliant - would definitely recommend it to everyone; you feel great afterwards and it helps to iron out any stiffness which could lead to niggles and injuries in fleft unchecked.

Tweety - great to hear about the magazine article, you'll be needing an agent soon. Just don't go all size 0 on us!

Hope all is well with everyone else. Can't believe it's just 7 weeks to go!!!!
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Hello all and thanks for the sympathy (better than anything I get at home!).

Had a funny week last week - thought the cold had gone, but by Friday my lungs were feeling pretty shocking, and I couldn't run for toffee.

Had a good rest on Saturday and decided to give my long run a try yesterday - and (thank goodness) it was fine!

I was running from my Mum's house in East Yorkshire, and although I lived there myself for 6 years or so - I never really knew anywhere outside of town - anyway, to cut a long story short, I took a scenic route along some country lanes and got a bit 'misplaced'!

Ended up with my first loop being 15 miles instead of my intended 10, my Polar foot pod went flat, and I ran out of water.

On the upside though, it turned out I ran 20 miles (I was aiming for 18), I missed the rain (woo-hoo) and my lungs were fine!

Definately more good than bad :)

Feeling pretty good today (although the cold has made a small return - might go and get some of that tonic!) - worst injury is (oddly) my upper right arm which is INCREDIBLY sore.

i am a freak :)

anyway - more running everyone, not long now eh?

• Options
    Sounds like we all had a good weekend!

Saw a great quote on wednesday on the wall of the physio which i thought id share- from lance armstrong, 7 times winner of the tour de france -

"pain is temporary, quitting lasts a life time"

Thought it was very apt considering he not only recovered from cancer but went on to achieve amazing things - got me thinking with a mile to go on sunday, when it does hurt you know in a hour or two it will be forgotten when your in the warm and relaxing!

7 weeks to go - scary isnt it - where does the time go

Think i may look into sports massage - sounds good!

• Options
    I managed 9 miles yesterday, should be further and I really feel my lack of mileage when reading your messages! But I can't catch up with my two lost weeks too quickly. Feel fine today. I missed the rain as I ran early, ate a huge sunday lunch and dozed in front of tv. Perfect weekend really.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    You've still got time though Amanda - and better to be sensible and take a step back, rather than do what a lot of people would and try and make up for lost time - getting themselves injured in the process!

Anyone got any races or anything coming up?

I am doing the Fleet half this weekend (just 13 miles? A walk in the park :) ), and then the Reading Half on 25th March.

• Options
    Tallbird,

I am doing Milton Keynes half this Sunday - anyone else going to be there?
  • Options
    lame duck - there is never a chance i will go size 0 on anyone. i like food too much.

only feeling better today. cough is much better but had upset belly at the weekend and have felt nauseous ever since - cue GP asking me if i could be pregnant! on the plus side, i have lost about 2lbs, but it is not my favoured method of weight loss.

back to training on thursday for me. i will be about the same as you amanda. i have brentwood 1/2 on 25th march, flitwick 10k on 15th april and then D-DAY on 22nd. yikes.

the magazine is called Slim at Home. I will let you all know when it is coming out. Ah, fame at last......