Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Just got back from the physio, imflamed IT band now, been hobbling around since my long run at the weekend - rubbish, - if its not one thing its another. They made me walk backwards on a treadmill and then electocuted it (im not kidding!)

Its killed my midweek training - seem to be fine for the long run at the weekend then that screws me up for another week.
  • Hang in there Rich, as long as you're able to get the long runs in you'll be able to get round. Just 6 1/2 more weeks and then we can all go back to spending Sunday mornings with the papers and a fry up. I friend once told me swimming was good for IT bands, so maybe give this is a go.

Good luck at Fleet on Sunday, Tallbird. I've signed up to the Cranleigh 21 at the end of this month and the Kingston Breakfst Run in early April.

Tweety, I'll look out for you in Slim at Home. I have to confess that I don't usually subscribe to that particular publication but might make an exception next month.

Right, off to eat twice my body weight in lunch (anynoe else constantly hungry?)

Quack.
  • Ha - im reading this while eatting a chicken and bacon roll the size of my head! Never eaten so much in my life!

• Sorry to hear about the injury Rich, hope it's okay soon.

See you at the Kingston Breakfast Run Jamie, mind you I'll be the one at the back!!

Have just finished my last day at work, boo hoo, yes I did cry! Pathetic! Huge bunch of flowers and card brought on the tears.

Eating-wise - thank god for bananas and hot cross buns! My staple diet at the moment!
  • Just tucked in to my second Wagon Wheel of the day - but I did have some good carbs as well ...

Amanda, sorry its a sad day, I have been through the redundancy mill a couple of times and its horrible. Keep your chin up, focus on your running for a while and you will be fine. These things always throw up a postive in the end - believe it.

Rich, definitely try a swim or two a week -I am convinced its doing me good.

Ahhh Sunday mornings with the papers, a mug of coffee and a lie in, how I am looking forward to that again.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Cranleigh is supposed to be good Jamie - I know a few people that are doing it, and if it wasn't for Reading (one of my fav races ever) being on the same day - I would have been there too!

Eating is great isn't it - and marathon training is a perfect excuse to eat more. I have (as I did last time I did a marathon) put 2lbs in weight on - I guess because I am eating too much? Still, am not that bothered - is mostly healthy, and it's nice :)

In other random burblings - I would love to go swimming this week, but I have "runners shoulder" - a new affliction brought on (seemingly) by running 20 miles holding my arm in a funny position. That was on Sunday - and it's still sore now! Most perculiar.

Rich - chin up mate - ITB can be a pain (literally) but it's not insurmountable. Just get those stretches done, and think positive!

Talking of positive - what a beautiful day - and I am going out soon for 10 miles in the woods. Does it get any better?

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • it is a gorgeous day outside.

glad i am back to running today. did about 1/2 hour; my first run in nearly two weeks. was a bit nervous but i have a bit more confidence now. will go out again tomorrow lunchtime and then for LSR on sunday. i was up to 14 miles last time; what do you think i should try now?

i think we should all have a forum gathering on the first sunday after FLM. we should all log on that morning with a mug of coffee, big bacon sandwich (or veggie option) and sunday paper of your choice.

ah, happy days.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    *sigh* that sounds nice - although I am so rubbish at getting out for my Sunday run that I usually have time for bacon sandwich & papers before I finally get going :)

Great idea though Tweety.

I went out for my run - all good intentions of going early but didn't get out till 3pm (!) - anyway, went up to the woods, got muddy, got a bit lost, went a bit fast, went a bit far - 11 miles @ 7:45min/mile, should have been 10 miles @ 8:10min/mile :)

Ah well - it was great fun, even with being lost and all. If it came to it - I was going to ask the army chaps that were 'hiding' in the ferns where I was :)

And no, I wasn't hallucinating - there really were army chaps in the ferns - I live near Sandhurst.

Lovely day for it though.
  • Tallbird,

Do you use your wings to propel you? I can only dream of 7:45 min/mile - I get really excited if my Garmin tells me Ive managed to get under 9 (and thats usually downhill ....)
  • Thats an awesome effort tallbird - im with debs - need a bike to go that fast!!

Legs are still rubbish but went for three miles last night and doing two tonight tonight to try and keep them loose ready for long run at the weekend.

Decided it will be better to do shorter runs in the week as i felt like a lot of lactic acid was in them, and concentrate more on my long runs than try and carry on following the high milage programme and breaking down all the time.

Going to do some cross training as well - cant really swim very well so may have to cycle.

Good luck with the long runs at the weekend everyone - going to attempt (sorry complete!!) seventeen this weekend then silverstone half next weekend

• Planning 2 hour run tomorrow (I'm out tomorrow night and I couldn't face running after alcohol....I COULDN'T run after alcohol) and then a relaxing swim Sunday.

Have a good weekend all.
  • 8 miles for me today; getting back into it slowly. tried SiS go gel blackcurrant - not bad but still a bit wierd.

off to make flapjacks now. mmmm.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I am just sat on the sofa eating chocolates :) I love marathon training!

I did the Fleet Half Marathon today - beautiful weather - maybe a tad on the warm side by the time we started at 11:30am (never happy!), and of course I went off a bit fast - BUT, I did finish in 1:39:44 (chip/watch time), so not only did I get me a 4 minute PB, but also got my secretly hoped for sub-1:40

Woo hoo.

And I didn't even use my wings (although that is a great idea!)

What did everyone else get up to?
  • What a beautiful day it was - a joy to be out (and the fact that it was a relatively short run). I did the Milton Keynes half, and overjoyed to get a PB - only plodded round in 2:17, but that beats my previous half marathon best effort by 16 minutes (this marathon training is REALLY paying off..) Rewarded myself on the way home with a McDonalds ... well, we were a long way from home and I was starving.

I hope you all had a great day too, back to the long stuff again this week - bring it on.
  • I did my two hours yesterday (about 10 miles), felt it this morning in my legs, but a day of rest has helped. Felt good during the run and aim to try and get close to a half marathon distance next week.
    Plodder Debs change your name! you are not a plodder anymore!

Have a free week now (no work..sob) so will swim as such as I can from now on in addition to running.

• Disastorous weekend for me, broke down at eleven miles when my knee was to painfull to carry on and had to hobble home. (thank go i decided to do laps)

Physio this morning has told me no running for next few days, badly inflamed IT band.

Allowed to cross train but not allowed to do half marathon i had planned at weekend.

Acupuncture on wednesday apparently, and they will carry on monitoring it from there. And another session on friday.

Sat here now feeling sorry for myself, RUBBISH

Well done everyone on the PB and well done tweety and amanda in getting back into it

• <offers rich21 a virtual homemade flapjack>
  • Cheers Tweety, made me laugh - what i need right now!!

Gone from self pity to defiance - will do this, will do this, will do this .......
  • Rich,

You WILL do it - we all will on sheer determination. I am sorry to hear of your pains, but as a stalwart of this site we need you to get there! There us plenty of time still, and your fitness level is high, so don't stress too much. (It will be easy to identify the Macmillan runners at the start line even without the green vests - we will be the ones with all the knee/ankle/thigh supports stinking of deep heat and rattling from all the nurofen inside us .....)
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Ah Rich - bad luck mate, but don't let it get you down.

Do you have access to a gym? When I was injured and off running a couple of years ago, I found that by doing REALLY hard work outs on the cross trainer (with arms) and rowing I didn't lose any fitness at all - and in fact, I might even have been in better shape as a result.

The difficulty is doing any of those things for long periods - to simulate long runs, but it's better than sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself - although it doesn't sound like you are doing that either :)

Good work on your PB Debs - feels great doesn't it? How are you feeling today?

• Sorry to read about the knee Rich, I think I know how you must feel, although you have a strong base of fitness which you won't lose.
    I agree with Tailbird, the crosstraining really helped me and swimming as well (can you swim?).

IF I could make flapjacks I would unite with Tweety in cheering you up!!
  • I can sink!!! Swimming is not my strong point -im not a member of the gym but have a cyclotrainer (bike on a wheel thing)

Going to give that some stick and there also giving me some weights to do at home - hopefully will be just a week out - if i can get up to 18 miles ill be a bit happier and if i cant with all the new muscle ill have from the weights ill drag myself the last 8.2 miles!!!

Cheers for all the support everyone - cheered me up no end
  • Hi All

Sorry to hear about injury Rich. However, I'd definitely agreed with Tallbird & Amanda, cross-training can be excellent. I had problems with my IT band a couple of years ago when I was due to go on the Inca Trail and was worried I wouldn't be able to, however in practice walking up and down stairs actually helped to sort the problem out and helped my running. Find a decent gym instructor and get him/her to give some advice - cycling or stepping may be the answer. Hang in there!

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well. I ran 19 miles yesterday, which was good, although the thought of another on top was a bit scary.
  • ...that should have said the thought of another 7 on top was a bit scary. See it's so scary I can't even bring myself to type it.
  • Tallbird,

It feels great - its a little confidence booster for me. I just got told off by my lady at the school of osteopathy who are keeping my knees and hips going for not stretching enough. Blimey, how much stretching do you have to do!

Well done Lame Duck - I'm scared too, but Im looking forward to Rich dragging me around the last 8.2 with him.

How are the experts getting on Baz?
  • i daren't go to an osteopath for fear of them telling me off!!

am a bit worried about the fundraising. how much has everyone else managed to raise at the moment. lame duck - i have seen your justgiving page - very funny! are you related then??!!

here's hoping for the lottery win; ha ha!
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    the problem with stretching I find is that you only remember you should have been doing some when it's too late and you already hurt!

Like right now - my right calf muscle is sore as anything which is a combination of a) barn dancing on saturday night and b) chatting at the end of my half marathon on sunday instead of stretching!

I knew I would be sorry, and I am.

PLUS - I feel like I have another cold coming on. Bah.
  • Ive got a great stretching routine that i got from a runners world free book, can scan it and email if anyones intrested - (email is rpratt21@yahoo.com , drop us an email and ill attach it and respond tommorrow) does the trick - takes a while but seems worth it

Gave it hell on the bike last night - at least i feel like im working - weights tonight with a twenty minute cycle just to keep me feeling like fitness is improving.

Fundraising at the moment tweety is ok - got 1400 on website and ive got a couple of hundred more promised - was lucky as was given a massive boost by company.

By the way if anyones feeling genorous or wants to laugh at my bad english or picture

www.justgiving.com/richardpratt
  • i am going to be in my old local paper!

emailed a few local papers from round my way and my mum's way (my old way) last night and one of them called me back this morning! asked me a few questions and asked me to send a photo this morning so they could put it in this week's edition!!

So I am going to be in this week's Luton News! Ah, fame (and hopefully some sponsorship) at last.

tallbird, take some zinc and/or echinacea.

rich - i like your page. very good!
  • Tweety - Luton??!! I was born and bred in Luton (Stopsley) - home sweet home.