What are you doing on Christmas Day...?

13»

Comments

• AP

Celtic Christian tradition. The Celtic Christmas is more about the coming of light into the world of darkness than the actual birth of Christ. Its all mixed in the the old pagan ways.

Its quite romantic in its way. We turn all the lights out and go round with the lantern.
  • Up xmas morning, out for a run.

Back, do nothing till 5.00pm then pick my son up from his mum, spend the evening with him opening his prezzies.

Boxing day off to the match with son, take him back to his mum.

Back in work Wednesday.

If wasn't for son wouldn't bother with xmas, its a crock of sh!t£.
  • bacon sanis a.m. Go to my dad's and later to in laws where I am cooking. (mother in law's a decent cook but her timing is always up the wall so I'll be establishing a semblance of order to the proceedings).
    Decent drink but no too much as at work at 9am Boxing Day
  • Fell Runner, that sounds lovely! Unfortunately we won't be in our own home over Christmas, I suppose we could save it until the 27th? And I'm a Celt too!
  • Working until 8am, home open pressies while drinking a champers cocktail, get a couple of hours sleep then off to a friends for chrismas dinner.
  • A run in the morning - after that shall be doing my best to get through the day (a good bottle of Burgundy will help).
  • Up at 9ish
    Walk my beloved dog and watch her open her pressies (shes got more to open than me!!)
    Work at 1pm
    A 'me-time' run on my break at 4pm (cant wait!)
    Home at 9pm
    Probably come on here to catch up with anyone who is around with a big glass of wine!

Xmas has not been the same since I lost my Dad 6 years ago and I've worked the last 4. I'm dreading next year as I'm off and will be expected to go to my Mums where there will be at least 13 other people including kids and teenagers. Too much noise for me I'm afraid - wonder how I can get out of it???
  • Weather permitting I'm going to fly, and if it's anything like last year I'll be the only person up there...perfect.
  • Up at whatever time kwiltlets get me and Mr K up.

Bucks fizz and croissants. while opening presents

eat my own weight in chocolate

Cook turkey etc for 2pm

Eat my new heavier weight in chocolate

Drink...well lets just say lots <hic>

Play with the kids toys as they seem more exciting than mine.

Play guess the fart after the sprouts ;¬)

No family round, no arguments about whose house we went to last year (oh the joys of living 200 miles from my family and the wrong/right* side of the irish sea for his), no awkward phone calls from my dad as he changed his number in August and moved house 2 weeks ago and hasn't told me or my sister his new number or address!!

Phone my aunt, who is the closest thing I have to a mum since my mother died 2 years ago (actually was her funeral 2 years today)

* delete as appropriate
  • Up with the mini me's appx 7am
    All prezzies opened by 7.04am
    Cup of tea, showers, getting dressed ect
    Drive the mini's and Mum to my Grandparents
    Drive to collect my Aunt and bring to my Grandparents
    Big slap up brekkie (this will be our last xmas with my Grandad if he makes it to xmas day)
    Drive Aunt home
    Pick up mini's and Mum from Grandparents and go home
    Cook dinner (wont take long, just the veg as we'r all veggies)
    Eat dinner with the added company of my ex-husband!!!
    Ex take the mini's home with him
    Drink
    Drink
    Drink
    Eat
    Drink
    Drink
    Eat
    Eat
  • What a lovely thread
    :-)

I always wondered what "normal" people did on Xmas day
    and now i've learned a thing or two :-)

my sympathies to fatboyslim

i'm a mum on the receiving end of that kind of set up
    and i know it's not easy either end

my boy goes to his dad for 23-28 so they get a full run at it which i think is probably great for both of them

it would be pretty rough on me but in fact
    as i am lucky enough to be jewish and not therefore be bothered by the whole thing
    as i never grew up with any of the traditions of xmas
    so kind of don't know what i am missing

Our big gathering of the year was really at Passover (Easter time) and Yom Kippur year (September - our new year)

and we've already opened Hanukkah presents (today's the last day of Hanukkah)

I think it's a tough time for parents who are separated from their young kids
  • should explain..my ex is Christian so my son gets a full traditional xmas

and this is his first xmas of knowing the truth about Santa...

is that good or bad btw, once you know?

• Will be first family xmas in 4 years and first one for my mum in 40 years without my dad (he died in August).

Reckon we'll get stuck into the vino pretty early on and put a bit of tinsel on his pot of ashes in the garden (black humour runs in our family!)

• Debster

make sure you pour a little of his fave tipple near the ashes
  • thinking of all of you who are missing someone
  • Not IN the pot though debster;)
  • Up at dawn with Jigglets
    Open pressies
    wash/dress/ feed family & pets
    Assemble stuff to take to brother&his family who are over from Oz (must not forget turkey, must not forget turkey....)
    Drive to dad's and collect him transport family to brother's place
    make lunch for assembled ancient relatives.
    Miss my Mum
    Walk dog
    Wash up
    Collect stuff & family and transport home
    Repeat Boxing day as off to in-laws
    11pm- go to toilet for first time that day as haven't had the chance!!!
  • Tomorrow go visit dad's grave - take him a red rose tree in a pot - his fav plant. Chat to him.

Then up to sisters for the grand peeling/prep of the veggies - much wine involved.

Xmas Eve - home, peaceful, alone.

Xmas morning - down to Mum's for salmon brekky and pressie opening.

Up to sisters for Xmas lunch - prepared by us all - small gathering this year for us - only 10 bods. Watch 3 tr old Teddy destroy tree and everything in his path - 3 yrs ago his mum's water's broke on Xmas day and we spent the day at the hospital - is an IVF baby and was not due till April. He has become our miracle child as Docs predicted he would not be here. He makes it extra special.

Rest of day - eat n drink, watch smultzy TV.

Home by 7pm for Dr Who and champers as a pressie to me from me.
  • Out in garden to do what dogs do. Banned to kitchen whilst big people open pressies. Walk. Sit in front of oven watching and smelling cooking meat, getting in the way and being as awkward as possible. Idea being that to get me out of the way I'll get turkey. It always works. i love Christmas. Merry Christmas to all dogs out there, hope you dont get dragged on too many runs - unles you really want to !!!
  • Oh - kay

Sooooo... looks like I might start the day later than planned.

And with a hangover.

;o)
  • I am currently working then I will be doing a little sleeping then a little not sleeping or working then working again.
  • MERRY XMAS

I feel suprising good considering the time and the fact I drank a tad too much last night

Off to do the open xmas get to wake up lots of drunks, should be interesting
  • I am currently not sleeping or working.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Nor me. But I might be sleeping shortly cos I been drinking. Then I'll be working again.
  • Merry Christmas all!
    I'm about to consume a goose with my family here in Germany.
    I have been sleeping until 1:30pm every day :o
  • Merry Christmas!!

Been for run, had to wait for alcohol to wear off.

Cant be bothered cooking so about to hit the setee/couch for the afternoon.
  • Okay... so when I said to little bruv that he could come spend the evening with me instead of with the ancestors at the church social club - I didn't count upon the WHOLE of the box of rosé disappearing (to be fair, it wasn't a whole box anyhow).

Needless to say, I got up at midday.

*<¦oD

Happy Christmas you guys.

Run for me later FBS - postponing it this morning due to alcohol and lie-in.