Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Options

Amber like you I was thinking before LN about just sticking to halfs as my longest race apart from having to do FLM at least once!!! The LR's are a thought week after week for marathon training.... BUT they didn't seem as bad in the run up to LN AND I even got faster at them in training with a lot less walking and now apart from the last 4 miles on Sunday I felt pretty good the rest of the way!! So now that I have beaten sub 5 I want sub 4.30 !!!! Edinburgh would be good for a PB shot if that blooming wind isn't as bad as this year as that saps me totally. I have never run a race with such perfect running weather as it was on Sunday image what a difference it makes to your body and mind.

Smiffie sounds a good plan you have lol if I by some chance I got into London I'll do that then Edinburgh then it would have to be Loch Ness again image If I'm in a position to fund one abroad, I would need to have a read at the reviews and ask around as to what ones are good. But those 3 for next year would probably be enough!!!

Soph good luck with your ultra training, never say never but I can't ever see me wanting to go more than 26.2 miles. In the words of Farmer Hoggett 'that'll do pig, that'll do'

My legs are just about back to normal and my toenail felt a lot better today so hopefully will get out for a wee run with the doggies on Sunday. Going to start back cycling to work tomorrow aswell.

• Options

Oops I need my mouse, am not very good without it on my laptop !! image

• Options

That sounds like a good plan bungee!My legs feel pretty much normal today too and i had planned on a wee run tonight but the wee one i childmind has not been herself all afternoon and im absalutly knackerd!...having a glass of wine instead!!

I really think im a bit hooked on long runs now.....at the time i hate em!! but now that im thinking "5k and 10k pb's" for next year  it doesnt seem to have the same appeal as the 42.2k!!!...think my legs might disagree but i'm now at about 95% wanting to do Edinburgh again!image...Whod have thought id love the marathon....i only ever planned to do it once!!

• Options
     talking of toenails-mine are still very tender -3 purple !!3 missing!! ..yuck!image
  • Options

Hi guys - just back from a wee 4 mile bimble with one sore foot and one sore muscle at the back of my leg but fine really.

Soph your grit determination pics are brill at the end of the race!!

I'm doing Buchlyvie half mid november and edinburgh next year and squeeze in a dualathon if i can. Gonna keep up the big long slow runs as that's what i enjoy best and hopefully join Soph on an ultra someday soon. There's a great article in the scottish athletics mag about the ultras.    

• Options
    ps amber paint the rest purple with nail polish and they'll like great.
  • Options

KT - travelling time keeps me near home until children are older (2 & 7) so limited to flying out day before to get number and flying back same day as marathon........... little b*ggers must love them ;0)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Not much talk of Lochaber marathon 27th April for those of you that don't do FLM.  Flat PB course, superb event
  • Options

My Lochaber conformation email arrived today see you their Shades.

• Options
    Think I'll go for the Lochaber as well guys - FLM just doesn't appeal to me - and it's cheap!!
  • Options
    That's my entry confirmed for Lochaber - if it's not flat Shades, I know what you look like!! That's a busy weekend for you then Loon dod - you got the highland fling day before haven't you??
  • Options

Hi Guys,

Hope the legs are all recovered. Some great pictures of you all and well done spotting me on that you tube clip Amber. All my pictures were taken in the last 2 miles so I don't look my best 1158. There is also one of my wee 5 year old son finishing the 5K (6582).

As for future plans, I've already entered Edinburgh in the hope of another PB, if only we could get last Sunday's weather. It did make a huge difference to me I'm sure, as the LN course had far more hills than Edinburgh and I'm less fit now than I was in May but I still got a PB. I was also persuaded by my brother to enter the FLM ballot. Don't expect to get in though in which case I may run the Lochaber marathon or the Edinburgh to Berwick 22M in the run-up to Edinburgh marathon. Between now and then the plan is to keep training and run a few 10K and half marathons during the winter and spring. The Edinburgh and Forthside half was by far my best race of the year this year (1:33) so I'll plan to do that again in 2008. Good luck to you all with runs this weekend.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Karen - trust me, Lochaber is flat.

<<waves at Loon Dod>>

• Options

DCB, you were only seconds ahead of Amber.  image  How funny!  LoL @ all your photos being in the final miles, I'm glad mine weren't all in those last miles....

Your wee lad looks very composed as he's about to cross the line. image

I was thinking about doing the Forthside again this year, but they've changed the course drastically and it now finishes in Musselbrough, so that's a real hassle for getting back to a car to go home.  It starts at one end of the city and finishes at the other, so if you are going alone, you'd have to park in the centre (?) and then head to the start, then get the bus back to the centre?  Too much hassle if you ask me!

• Options

Monring!   ..eh?image..u know what i mean!

just been shopping  with my sis so i could look after the wee baby when she tried things on!

dcb-you must have been really proud of your wee one doing a 5k! thats brill he looks a gorgeous wee boy!

so far all i have entered is the great winter run......need to get some aims sorted out!

been applying for a few jobs -feel im going a bit stir crazy working at home!.....everything was going well for a job as a physiotherapy support worker but then discovered i needed to be able to drive!!image..i can drive most folk mad but can't drive a car!

have applied to LA fitness theres a couple of posts there id like and one of the perks is free memberships!

The Lochness marathon is on the telly on sunday night at midnight -channel 5 -should be intersting !- I just hope they didnt catch my casual vomit on camera!!

image xx

• Options

Thats right Karen

The fling on Sat then Lochaber on the Sun I will be paceing a club mate to her first marathon expect around 4:30.

It will be my biggest back to back training in prep for WHW I expect a few others will be doing the same. 

• Options
    Why oh why did I have to read about the Cape Wrath Challenge ? I doubt I could be there for the whole week, but the marathon sounds much more fun than plodding around the streets of Edinburgh..... will have to rethink my plans now image
  • Options
    So loon dod 53+26.2 = 79.2miles in 2 days - throw in a half and there you go - nearly the full whack in one weekend!! Cape challenge does look good doesn't it - peaceful and remote!!
  • Options

Did anyone else have problems writing to this thread earlier?

Amber I was really proud of the wee boy and yes he is gorgeousimage.

Triple S not only did Amber and I finish within a few seconds of each other at LN but we were no more than a minute apart in Edinburgh. Nevertheless we have never actually met! She finished just before me last weekend having passed me in the closing few hundred yards.  I like the chip time vs. gun time thing!

I'm very sorry to hear that the Forthside half route has changed. I was really looking forward to having a crack at that one at a fast pace again.

Targets for next year: sub 42 min 10K, sub 1:30 half (current PB 1:32:55), sub 3:45 marathon (PB 3:53:33) I like a challenge! Race predictors seem to suggest I should manage a sub 3:30 marathon but both times I run at that distance I've faded badly in the last 5 miles. Anyone any tips on how to avoid this other than training over longer distances or starting the race slower? I did the first half at LN in about 1:50.

• Options

Checked out your wee boy dcb - what a star. My daughter used to cycle with me when I ran and taken her out running a few times but she's now got into gymnastics and golf - sigh they grow up too quick and get into their own things.

I'm not experienced enough to give you advice for the last bit of race I'm afraid.   

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DCB - I don't think you did the first half of LN too fast.   The endurance and strength for the last few miles of a marathon will improve with time, some of that strength will be mental, some physical.   Re training, you could be doing your long runs too fast.
  • Options

Hi peeps the weekend is here image

DCB greatpics. Sunday was only my 2nd mara and I it went tons better than my 1st and like you the last 5 miles were a big struggle!! What Shades says makes sense, with time and experience should come the knowledge and strength to get faster. I guess we just have to train to the best we can and on the day everything will either go to plan and our legs will work like we want them to OR the weather will be either too blooming hot, gale force and legs will be like jelly for one reason or another!!!! I suppose the disappointing races make the great ones feel even better image 

Karen I'm lucky to have my brother race and my son does it now too. Well we start together and they both finish before me!!!! My daughter did start aswell and did a 5K with very little training!!! she could be pretty fast i reckon but she's not into it like my son is so she's given it up. I can't have everything lol

Hubby says tonight he was so inspired by Loch Ness that he is stopping smoking on Monday and after doing that and losing some weight would love to some day do a 5K!!!!! knock me down with a feather!!!! I'll maybe get him out running with me yet!! lol

• Options

Hi Allimage

Thats good that your hubby is wanting to get fit  bungee! and especially good with the stopping smoking-He will feel miles better for it!image

shades i like dcb id also like to run a 3.45 and i think you are right it probably is just going to take time to improve, even compared to training runs i did for edinburgh just 4 months before the long runs for lochness were easier and i was less knackerd afterwards.Im wondering how realistic it is for me to knock 8 mins off my time by april/may should i decide to do another?.....i also feel although dcb and i have ran the same times for our first tow marathons that he is far more capable than me of running a much faster marathon if he gets his endurance base stronger -his half time is great!!

I ran todayfor first time since Lochness did a 7 mile cross country run-big toe very ouchy and otherwise fine until 6 miles whaen i realised hip flexor still v tight on the left side as it got extremely sore ..prob 5 miles would have been enough today.But did enjoy it -nice to just go out and run in muddy puddles just for the hell of it again!image

• Options

if anyone can work out what the hell im splaffin on about above -well done!!!image

• Options
    Amber - you doing edinbrugh next year? You were getting head hunted on the thread by molly who has turned into something from Lord of the rings!! Bungee you're doing aren't you? Anyone else?
  • Options
    It was smiffie head hunting you amber not molly!!
  • Options
    Tempted but I'll stick with just the Lochaber this year but maybe next - lots more training needed for me. How did you and mrs fellrunner enjoy the loch ness fellrunner?
  • Options
    Karen-I think i will do Edinburgh, i have enterd the ballot in London but my guess is slim chance of getting in....i really hadn't planned on doing a marathon next year but its a distance thats so bloomin addictive!!!image
  • Options
    HAHAHAH!!-just seen mollys Golum picture!!!