Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

1101102103104105107»

Comments

• Nessie you fibber!! Seen flying ant in coverage and girl from my works fiancee the pirate who got interviewed at end. Seemingly sky were filming as well for a prog later in the year re running. Here here fellrunner - we aint fun runners - sometimes it just aint fun.
  • Ooh it does look nice. And probably cooler weather than London - I die in the heat.

<cue snow for 2008>

Thanks chaps !

• The first ten miles are all down hill apart from a couple of up hill bits.

• mORNING,

i watched the programme this morning after recording it last night-really enjoyed it-Didnt it look spectacular to see us all running out of the start !....i remember seeing the guy who was shooting his own video diary running in front of me at one point and wondering to myself what he was doing!!image

Fellrunner -i reakon you are right with your theory as to who thought up the "fun runners" name! 

Going to give it another go with a run tonight....hopfully this hip flexor might cope better if i just stay on flat ground rather than off road hilly bits...dont know whats going on with my foot tho-hopefully just a bit of bruising or something.

• my god is it 1pm????image..theres me saying morning too!!!...well seeing its the school hols again!....i better get on and have breakfast as im cutting hair in an hour!!!image
  • Thanks marshallini  image      (much appreciated) !

I actually drove along the course on the monday morning and soon realised how undulating it actually was.

Glad i stopped up last night to watch highlights, saw myself a few times, i guess it pays to hang around with the leading lady for a while, shame she couldn't stay with me else i'd have had even better coverage, searched out her previous marathon times and found she's a sub 2.25 hr runner   (wow) !!

• Flying Ant - what were you wearing as we must have ran together for part of the race? I ran with the leading lady for a bit before I dropped back a bit to conserve my energy for the second half - I have a habit of going out too fast and I wanted to run close to even splits.

I took her at around 18-19 miles (on the big hill) and passed a few guys so I'm assuming that you were one of them? I was surprised how much she slowed as I thought she would have been faster.

I was in a Metro Aberdeen vest (black/gold) and finished in 2:50:27.
  • We are delighted to confirm that the Channel 5 programme featuring the 2007 Baxters Loch Ness Marathon & Festival of Running will be shown this Sunday 14 Octoberat midnight. Sky Sports was also filming over the weekend and Loch Ness will be part of the Road Running Show series going out later in the year.

Guys did you notice the sky sports bit as well. Thought it was odd the filming for the channel 5 seemed to end before the 4 hour + runners were through as folk were getting interviewed when i came through.  Will have to keep an eye out for it too then!!

• I have noticed the prog is repeated on this thurs/fri morning C5 5.20am I think...
  • Tattie,

I remember you passing me just after the hill, i was all in black (Neath Harriers), although on the results its got me down as my old club (Brackla Harriers, obviously before i transferred to new club). There's a good shot of me collecting water from one of the stations and some of me in the background of the leading lady after the start. To be honest i took off after 9 miles with another runner from her group and no one came with us, i thought she was struggling a bit, mind you she had that bloke on a bike pointing a camera in her face which must have been a bit off-putting.  I think about 5 runners passed me overall but i managed to pull back and take one in the last mile.

• Signing off and moving to the Edinburgh Marathon thread
  • Hi All

This was my first marathon and only the 3rd race I've done. I used the other two races as my only training for this but hey ho I've found you can blag a marathon (all be it slowly) on no training. The other two were the manchester 10k and the Malvern half, the last time I ran before lochness) I finished without stopping in just under 4 hours 40 and had a great time. The route is spectacular and I might even come back and do it next year but this time with a little training. It was really hard from 15 miles onwards but I can't have hit the wall as I carried on nice and steady and I became sick of the taste of orange lucozade. The legs were fine by wednesday and I was back playing rugby on Saturday but the chaffing is a nightmare, I assume lyrca would help with this?

Anyone know of any races in and around manchester that I could do, I could get used to this running stuff and its certainly inspired me to get fit again having done this race.

I missed the show but hope to record the follow up. Congrats on all your great times by the way!!!! I'd love to do one in under 3 hours 30 one day. I just found this forum and it appears to have tonnes of great advice.

A group of us stayed up there in white bridge in a great lodge, what a beautiful part of the world!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

image Rob, I hate you.  4:40 on no training for a first marathon. I've done 10 of the b******* and I've still to crack 5 hours.

Only joking really - well done!  With a good training plan, I'm sure you could run a LOT faster in the future.

Lycra is king for stopping chafing, although I still have an unusual pattern on my back from the waistband of my shorts from the race.  And the usual bra marks (probably not an issue for you).  Bodyglide or Vaseline are good too, although they don't seem to last the 26.2 on me.

• Body glide on the nips and inner thigh, no chaffing problem! image
  • signing off  2 and moving over to Edinburgh 2008 thread!-

Thanks for everything

imagex

• Me too guys - edinburgh thread and scottish one for me. Thanks for all the laughs, advice and support from you all and we will all be back next year no doubt - take care all and happy running - don't do like I did today and fall down the bleeding stairs and land right on your back - at least it was this week and not before the race - ouch!!
  • hI rob brown 10 - how spooky. I did loch ness on the back of just 1 x 10k and 1 x half too. I struggled at 20 plus, then again at 25 (was expecting to see 26mile marker for some reason). Managed to gird my loins for the final bit and even sprinted on the track at the finish. But at least I did some training between races, so well done. Like you, I'd like to see how much quicker I could go with proper training. The key for me is to try to avoid injury, something I've not been very good at so far.
  • Well I guess I had better flit to Edinburgh aswell image

As soon as Loch Ness 08 is up and running I'll be there. x

• Did anyone order, or has in the past ordered one of those dvds or everyone finishing?

If so, how long does it take to arrive?

• ADGADG ✭✭✭
    Quiet thread, I have just entered the ballot for this, anyone know what the chances of getting to run?
  • No idea ANdy, but I'd quite like to know...
  • Think everyone who enters gets to run......unless of course there's an incredible amount of people who all decide to enter and push the number of entrants well above 1500 or whatever.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭
    Booked the travel lodge £49 for the Sat and £58 for Monday and Tuesday, If I don't get in with the ballot I will join a club and get a guaranteed entry.  
  • ADGADG ✭✭✭
    Just realised that there is a forum for the loch ness 2008 so I'm off over there...