Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Options
    aah, not yet, i will do it soon, need to pay credit card first!!

Bungee, inverness isnt that big, dont worry about getting to start
  • Options
    Thanks SB, when you put it that way travelling from Fife to glasgow for a run will then be a lot further which I do without thinking about!! :-)
  • Options
    My dog is called Baxter, and I can assure you all that he has NOT organised a marathon around Loch Ness.

;-)
  • Options
  • Options
    bungee, it is a fantastic race. Bit of a nasty hill at mile 18 but if you know about it.... there, you already do! I suffered really badly from stomach cramps from 21m on last year so I'm going back to tackle it again this year!

Enter just now and get a room at Travelodge Fairways for £26 a night - I have! So's Roobs, and Santababy will shortly ;-)

10 mins max away from start (from anywhere in Inverness). Roobs & I drove to the start from the other Travelodge last year and got parked really easily. Or we could all share a car... :-)
  • Options
    Well that's me booked up at the Fairways, I figured at that price, even if I don't/can't run then its a weekend away and we can soak up The Marathon atmosphere anyway. Jobs a good un! Will surprise my hubby either way lol

Mick W I reckon Baxter is a cool name for a dog, my lab is called Rico which I reckon is also pretty cool. I named him after Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria cos its great there! But since visiting Australia twice since then that now beats The Canaries!!!!! It takes a lot to beat swimming with Dolphins and climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge.... AWESOME.
  • Options
    bungee, Baxter is a lab too! 7 months old now, and still growing. He got called Baxter by Mrs. W. after some dog in a film which got chucked off a bridge or summat.

I have swum with trout at Bolton Abbey - top that if you can!
  • Options
    Looks like the party will be at Fairways this year LOL!

Getting excited and there are still 8 months to go!

Bungee - the race is terrific. There is also a hill at mile 4 which caught a couple of us by surprise last year but you know about that one now too. And at the end of the race you get hot food which was very welcome last year as it was raining most of the way round.
  • Options
    Right, I've cancelled my refundable £120 2 nights at the Travel Inn and replaced them with a non refundable £52 at the Fairways.

I better get in now!

Staying Saturday and Sunday neet. Its a bit of a trek from Yorkshire.
  • Options
    there is also a nasty hill at mile 8 or 9, steep but short followed by a hugio drop

did we all erase these from our memories? is it like childbirth you think? ;o)
  • Options
    Treiziste - am travelling up from London but well worth it!

SB - I think so! I definitely remember mile 4 though so I will be prepared this time!
  • Options
    So that's 4 & 8-9 for the hills. Ah how we love the hills, wind and pelting rain oh and not forgetting the blistering sunshine.... NOT... lol

Have loads of hills round here that I run on in my training so I'll just make sure to keep that up for Oct to prepare me!!
  • Options
    I see there's a Travelodge called Inverness as well as one called Fairways, anyone able to give me pros & cons on the 2?
  • Options
    Travelodge Inverness = £65 prpn

Travelodge Fairways = £26 prpn

;-)

We stayed at the Stoneyfield one last year ('Inverness' on their website), next to a busy road so not so good if you're a light sleeper & get that side of the hotel. There was a garden centre nearby that did a great full brekkie on the Monday morning! There's a also a Tesco Extra and a retail park further up the road. It's also showing as £65 for the Saturday night on the website.

Fairways is where we've all booked in to at £26 per night...

To be fair I think it's six and half a dozen with them, might take a while to walk to the start but there's always someone driving!
  • Options
    thats us booked :) party on!
  • Options
    Roger will be driving us Debs
  • Options
    BHA - I was at Stoneyfield last year and my room was on the side of the main road but to be quite honest I didn't hear the traffic that much - I think I was too tired from the early start on the Saturday morning and the race on the Sunday!

Come join the party at Fairways!!!!!
  • Options
    I'll be doing the same as last year and taking all my supplies with me anyway (Lucozade, instant porridge, water etc) so all I'm looking for is somewhere cheap and clean to crash out at night!

Only 8 months, 5 days to go....!!
  • Options
    Debstir you've just answered a question I was thinking of. As this will be my first O/N away race how can I be quaranteed all the food I eat etc.? TAKE IT WITH YOU :-) I'm sure we are all the same with following our food routines before and after a race.

Jeez I hope 27th May doesn't put me off maras for life!!! LOL I am counting on it being like my half marathon, I finished it and thought WOW let me do another one!!! Not right away obviously though which is effectively what I'll be doing on the 27th.... ahhhhhhhhh

The way I am looking at it is.... All you peeps who have done 1,2,3 and more maras already, come back for more each year so like tattoos and childbirth they are probably painful but the pleasure at the end is well worth it to make you do it again!!!!

In a sentence or two how would you all describe your marathons????? That way I can get an idea of what I am in for lol
  • Options
    Right! I've done it!

4 nights at Inverness Fairways from the Saturday.

Will be flying easyJet, probably from Luton. Though the flights aren't online for October yet.
  • Options
    Loch Ness last year was my first marathon. It was torrential rain from about 7m on and as soon as I crossed the finish line I wanted to do another one. Mixed feelings though; I had terrible stomach cramps from 21m and ended up walk / jogging the last 5m so one part of me wanted to do another one to prove I could run the whole way, another part wanted to do another one because the buzz was immense!!!

Tesco do a pot of porridge called Instant Oats, just add hot water - I used them a few times before the race to make sure I could stomach them. If you're used to toast etc you could always take a toaster but it could set off the fire alarm, depending on how sensitive they are! Or even cereal or bread & jam could work...
  • Options
    Every Time I've crossed the line after a Marathon I said never again!

this is my 4th.

Shreddies with milk and a cup of coffee is my pre-race breakfast whether I'm running or not. So, that's pretty easy to organise.
  • Options
    The thought of a cheap room and a party makes this race even more tempting. I wish I could make up my mind. I will have to discuss it with Mr AM and then tell him what we are doing. :-)

Bungee, once I've completed the first half of the marathon I always think of myself being "on the way home". The feeling of achievement when you cross that finish line for the first time cannot be described. It is just wonderful.
  • Options
    AM, no discussing required - book the room, get the entry in - job's a good 'un!

I have to admit my 'feeling of achievement' wasn't all I thought it would be. My training had gone well but I got stomach cramps from 21m on, which reduced me to a walk / jog so when I finished I was actually really disappointed with myself as I knew I could have done better had it not been for the cramps. I swore as soon as I crossed the finish line that I'd do another one - if only to prove to myself I could run* a full marathon without having to walk.

I beat myself up for a few days over this :-(

*run = plod :-)
  • Options
    At about 23 miles last year my whole right leg cramped up and reduced me to a walk for about 1.5m until it eased. I was beating myself up too afterwards until it sunk in that I had a pb by 41 mins! I more or less walked the last 6 miles of my first one due to a calf muscle tightening up. I am doing flm this year as my 3rd one and then Loch Ness will be my 4th.

Bring it on!
  • Options
    i also ran/walked last 5 miles becuase my legs were f***8D because of the hills!

i ran all the way in Amsterdam 2 short weeks later tho...

i WILL run all way this year
  • Options
    SNAP!

I have put in a couple of 22 milers into my training plan this year for flm and plan to do the same for LN.
  • Options
    I WILL (try to!) run the whole way this year too!

Looking back on it there were probably a couple of things I should / shouldn't have done so I will learn from them and do / won't do them this year :-)
  • Options
    Fellrunner that's a lovely way to look at a marathon. I suppose like every other race there will be days when it all just goes to plan and you feel fantastic and other days when its the opposite!!!! We never know till we start and then finish, guess its all part of the allure of running, the good times and the bad AND THE MEDAL!!! LOL and if it goes REALLY WELL the PB..... :-) Ah the joys...

SB it just goes to show that even with only 2 weeks rest after a marathon you can run another one AND run it all the way!! The human body is an amazing thing!!!! Well done you.