Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Roobarb - I think the taxes for each airport vary hence the diff in prices.
  • Flights are soo cheap now... great how we can get around, I'm of to the Vienna Marathon on a cheapie next month ..

Will just drive the couple of hours to Inverness though. I have still not seriously looked at my overnight stay.. I'm not sure of who is going, will have to get into gear.

Have also talked .. or listened whilst my friend talked herself into next years Lochaber 26.2. For her it will be once in a life (or so she tells me). Great to see folks with such determination.

Pity it aint rubbing off on me .. these long runs or lack of them ... hmm only 5 before Vienna and 11 before 'The Devil'
    never thought I'd find myself using a marathon as a long run ... only 17miles to go and I'll be there ....
  • See you at the Devil Karie.
    I am doing Cape Wrath as my last Long run 3 weeks before.
  • Just checked the Travelodge website (nosey that way!) and the Stoneyfield hotel is down to £26 per night if anyone's looking to book somewhere...

...but maybe best wait till Fairways drops in price; I think that's where most of the forumites have booked in to so far!
  • Karie ... I also suffer from no motivation and I too have booked Marathons in lieu of long runs. Only run over 13 miles this year was a 18 miler in January..... however I dont reccommend you try this at home children its a tad sore for the first couple.
  • Boing for Stuart who has decided to join us at Loch ness as his 1st marathon
  • I'm just coming back from achilles injury.

Done my first runs of the year. 2 x 3 milers and a 4 in the last 10 days, another 4 tomorrow so long as the achilles is not too sore!

Hoping to build up to a 5 mile race in 5 weeks time, and a 10 miler 3 weeks later!
  • Still not sure why I am doing this, but starting to look forward to it.

Will need to get myself sorted out with accomodation etc. fairly soon. Oh, had better look at what I need to do training wise. Might just do a "Jade Goody"....
  • Welcome Stuart!

For accomodation have a look on the Travelodge website, a few of us have already booked in to Fairways (it was £26 a night a wee while ago) and I think Stoneyfield may be on offer just now. They're both a couple of miles from the start but getting to and from there's not a problem if you've got a car, or hook up with someone who has :-)

Training wise I used Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 schedule with a few tweaks here and there for Loch Ness last year (1st marathon), but I'm using the Novice 2 for London, which seems to be suiting me fine.

Whatever you decide, we'll see you at the start line on the 7th October!
  • Hey Spartacles, seems like you're thread has been taken over somewhat.

There are also lots of hotel rooms available within half a mile of the coach pick up still. Fairways is OK if you've got transport, or know someone with a car, but if you're in Inverness on your lonesome then somewhere a bit nearer is a better idea.

For the record I'm up to 7 miles as my longest run and about 20 miles per week at the moment as I train first for a half marathon at the end of May. Then the marathon training will start, but I'm hoping the half mara training will have given me a good base.

I'll be back in a few months when hopefully I'll be up to 15 miles as my long run and 30 miles a week.
  • I have still not booked... lagging behind as always.
    Done 16 miles at the weekend, sore calf and a strain up the side of my leg from my ankle ... never had that before.. but I'm sure it will be fine tomo.
    Had a blood sugar near to bursting after all the beer on Sat at the footy, so the run never really hurt at the time .. think I was still numb :)

My back up runner has pulled out of the Devil due to injury, so looks like I'm going to have to withdraw :(
    I can't remember looking forward to it, but my mind was set, so feel a bit of a loss. Just my usual 2 marathons and Corrie then this year.. I am a bit disapointed but that is life. Maybe next year.

Hope we all remain injury free for the big day !!!
  • HI All! Nice to see so many new and previous faces. I have entered once more (even though I said NEVER again!) Aiming to equal or better my first one last year of 3h56, but who knows what will happen on the day eh?

Mr B
  • Evening Mr Bunny! At least you said NEVER again - I swore I'd run another one as soon as I crossed the finish line! But that's because I had a terrible last 5 miles and knew I could have done better (maybe not much though...)

That's a brilliant time for your first one, I was glad I just finished in one piece!

Karie, you got your entry in yet?! How's your leg, was it ok the next day? That's a shame about your back up runner pulling out of the Devil, but as you say there's always next year.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    I notice that Highlanderchick hasn't posted on this thread yet! Hopefully she will be ok to do this one. Its her fault that I ended up doing last year!!
  • And who's fault that you're doing it this year, Roobs?!

All yer own!!!

;-)
  • I recognise lots of names from last year.. not so good with faces ...

I haven't entered yet, SAL member so hopefully they don't change the format. I will get round to doing it soon.

My leg is ok Debs, just a slight strain, always the same when the miles start going up.. I tend to notice every twitch.

I have decided to run the Devil with the backup I have, but still no runner, there is the possibility of one of the women from the club joining me for the last 15. My training is going to continue anyhow and I'll just have to hope, but there are 3 of us from the club doing it so we'll manage something.

Ran a very easy slow 17 miles on Saturday morning, I'm not tapering for my April marathon, my miles will continue going up till mid may .. hopefully 35.. then a taper.

Anyone doing Lochaber or London? just as a warm up to the Loch Ness of course.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Debstir - shut yer face;-)

Karie - Debstir and I are doing London this month.
  • Hi Karie
    The info for the Devil says your crew should include 1 runner that can go and look for you. I guess that means you could share with some one else.
    I am in the same situation I have a driver but my runner will not be able to run so 2 support crew but no runner do I pretend that 1 of them is the runner and hope I dont need them or should I sort out another runner, have you done race before.
  • Loon, I have never done the run, but the people I am with are Devil and full WHW veterans, double figures between them !!! my runner MAY be fit, but the cpt has a few ideas. Even if your runner can't do the 20 or so I'm told Kinlochleven is the farthest you'll be from your support, a max 10 miles. I'm hoping not to need a runner for anything else than moral support !!! If it's like the WHW they have volunteers who act as sweepers, one of our guys done it last year, it ended up about 6 of them bringing one runner home.

Good luck in London .. enjoy the day, and no getting upset when the 5th Womble and 10th 6ft pink clad overweight fairy puffs by you. I got passed by postman pat and a boat with about 10 people carrying the damn thing, I could hardly carry myself !!!
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    I got passed two years ago by a guy wearing nothing but a leopardskin thong but I couldn't keep up with him..........

I am still wondering where his number was and how he attached it to himself.
  • If I get round London without walking - regardless of time - I'll be over the moon!! I had been feeling really confident but my training's taken a huge dent this week with me catching a cold, and has meant I've missed out on my 2nd 20 miler (unless I have the world's fastest recovery tonight and do it tomorrow!).

We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow first of all but I doubt 20m will be on the agenda...
  • Hello everyone! I am looking to do a marathon in October. I did Dublin as my 1st marathon last year, would love to do it again but it just costs to much with flights and accomodation. I haven't entered this one yet but am seriously considering it (it was a toss up with Snowdonia but that seemed a little too hilly!). Will stay on the thread and I am sure before long I'll be signed up and training!
  • hiya pumpkin

did Dublin last year as well.

Have you read through the thread and seen the stuff about Travelodges, don't know if they'll be that cheap again, but it's woth looking from time to time.
  • Yes I did, I will book something as soon as I am committed to entering. I need to talk to Mr LP to see if he wants to drive us all the way up to Scotland and back - a nice 10hr drive up there for us.
  • it's worth it tho Pumpkin, the drive up there is amazing :o) mind you we only have a 4 hr drive...
  • I have also looked at flights £68 rtn pp which I think is a bargain. Is it easy to get around without a car (airport to hotel, hotel to start, finish to hotel etc)?
  • yes, inverness isnt too big, the travelodges that a lot of us are staying at are quite close to finish/pick up point for start
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Pumpkin - I got a cab easily enough from, and then back to, Inverness airport last year.
  • Thanks Roobarb. Did you get to the start ok?
  • it's really well supported at Inverness. I did it as my first one last year, and I am back for more this year.

I got a real late deal bargain last yeear on the train (www.thetrainline.com) but I had to check it daily with 3 months to go and not before. from Birmingham to Inverness return it was £46.00! You have to be an early bird with booking, but me and Mrs Bunny really enjoyed the views on the train. Would recommend it, if you can afford to wait until July to book up travel.