Timing Chips

Here's one for you techno boffins out there. Sitting at home is a envelopes for both the FLM 1/2 and Reading 1/2 marathons. Both with similar looking timing chips in them. What happens if I take the wrong one to the race this Saturday and how do they work?

Also an after thought, are they really worth £10 a piece, must be millions of them out there.

Cheers, M.

Comments

• I think (not sure) they send out a signal which is picked up by the timing mats.

I guess if you take the wrong one then it would either think you were another runne with a different number, or possibly if the signal includes more info then might recognise that it wasn't a chip for the race in question.

I know they are loaded with info before the race, I remember them feeding it in at the FLM exhibition the other year, plus some people buy their own chips.
  • Yep

They have a unique ID that is picked up by sensors around the course (Normally mats) that relay the info to a computer that holds the info that relates to that ID
  • The chips are passive rather than active whole. They do not send out a signal as a transmitter, but are 'read' by a scanner in a 'radio wave' way, like a bar code is read by a scanner in a 'light' way.

Simple systems just contain a number which is linked up to your identity on a computer somewhere. More expensive systems do use more complicated chips to contain more information.

Certainly picking up the wrong chip would cause problems.
  • Yep

They have a unique ID that is picked up by sensors around the course (Normally mats) that relay the info to a computer that holds the info that relates to that ID

HEY THIS MESSAGE IS REPLACING OTHERS
  • If you look at their website (I think its www.championchip.com), there should be a full description there.

v
  • Well, that was freaky. I just replied to a message from Muzzer asking about how championchips worked. Now Muzzer's message has disappeared... How does that happen?
  • Venon, your first message has dissappeared as well. This is going to be a short thread.

Picked up the URL though, thanks.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    "Venon, your first message has dissappeared as well. This is going to be a short thread."

Seems to be a Friday feature at the moment.

• Before this message disappears - yes, we're working on it right now. We made an, er, improvement to the system last night which needs to be bedded in

Sorry guys

Sean, RW
  • But what about timing Chimps, Seana?
  • CM, I was just asking how they work and if they are really worth £10.

Venom had a nice link. Maybe if we ask him nicely he'll repost.
  • Surely our Chimp is worth more than a tenner, Muzzer.
  • Only if he's not returned on the day, else he's free.

(Got me, now were's those glasses.)
  • If you click the "Print thread" button, you can see the whole lot of messages, even the "vanished" ones (most Stalinist).

Link was www.championchip.com by the way.

v
  • This is deeply wierd. I've said it before: we're all dooooomed.
    <<meerkat wrings her hands and warbles plaintively>>
  • Well i timed that at 3 minutes 15 seconds...A record!
  • I don't fancy having a chimp strapped to my shoe
  • The championchip website has some very useful and relevant advice. For example, do not microwave your championchip, and do not cross the timing mats walking on your hands (I assume in a handstand position).

Bugger, that's ruined my race strategy for the FLM.
  • Sometimes they don't work...
    FLM2000 not one timing mat registered my progress and therefore I was not in the official results. It was not until I received the photo's 6 weeks later along with finishers certificate that I could prove that I competed.
  • I don't reckon the chips are worth a tenna. They probably just say they'll charge you a tenna to help make sure you don't lose it. Scare tactics you see.