Marathon training with Mike Gratton

Comments

• Hi Mike. Doing FLM for the first time but have ran 10 marathons before. From experience setting off at the correct pace is the key to a successful marathon. I have found that most marathon predictors from other shorter race times to be fairly optimistic, ie based on my half marathon time I could get a time of 4.08, whereas my marathon PB is 4.33.

From the following website:

http:mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr.id70.html

I got the following formula based on a recent 10k race time and average weekly mileage and I wondered what you thought?

30-35 mpw 10k time x 5.5
    40 mpw 10k time x 5.0-5.3
    55mpw 10k time x 4.9
    60 mpw 10k time x 4.75-4.85
    70 mpw 10k time x 4.7-4.8
    80-100 mpw 10k time x 4.55-4.65.

I haven't ran a flat out 10k for a while now.

Thanks.

• Thanks Mike, will rest until Sunday at least.
  • Hello Mike
    Just returned from physio man with the news that i have an inflamation of the patella tendon. If it had happened a few weeks ago there might have been an outside chance of doing the FLM,but now it is too close.
    Given strethes and to ice the area.
    What I wondered was if I could walk the course instead or would the action on the knee be just as bad?
    Thanks
  • If you walk you are going to be on your feet a whole lot longer so I can't see that would be any good for your knee. There is also the danger of you being a DNF at least if you defer you know you will be able to run next year (injury free)
  • My sports massage lady seems to think I should be OK ... but it was SO painful and is still really sore today. I am going to try and do 8 miles on Sunday and if I get any return of the pain I am going to defer. I'd rather not:
    a) do myself some longer term injury
    b) have a miserable time on the day

I feel awful though, not because of the training I have put in - that's never a 'waste', but more because of the money I have raised in sponsorship. I hope my sponsors understand if I do defer. But I'm still hopeful that this Sunday my run might feel OK.
  • S Wigg, It could be worse as contact time with the road is longer and you'll be out there longer. You'll need to talk to the physio again about it, if he thinks there will be no long time damage from walking it then you may get away with some pain killers and just get around....but I'm doubtful about the wisdom of that in this case.
  • Happycat, I'm not a great believer in prediction formulas as they can't take into account all variables - the best indicator is experience and since you have run 10 marathons I'd say you know yourself best and would go with what you think rather than some adhoc theory based on averages which becomes self fulfilling in the end because once you have used it to set your target you will inevitably run at that shedule and low-and-behold prove the formula correct.
  • Fingers crossed Scooter boy.
  • Thanks Mike. Although it really makes me feel dreadful i'm going to have to pull out this year and go for an extra good time next year.
  • Thanks Mike will see how it goes on the day then and do my normal re-assessments at halfway and at 17 miles and do my best.
  • Hi mike, after running for about 2 miles my right foot goes numb, after about 4 and a half miles my left foot goes completely numb, i`m running on aisics gel cumulus and i`m hopeing to run my very first half marathon in october this year do you think this will be a problem, can anything be done about it?, many thanks martyn.
  • MS - I work in a running shop and usually if your foot is going numb, it means that your shoes are too small and/or you are lacing them too tight. This cuts off the blood flow.
  • HI mike will be running the belfast marathon at the start of may.This will be my 8th marathon all being well.My problem is i want to go sub 4hr, best time is 4hrs 3mins.I can run all my long traning runs inside 9 min mile pace right up to 22 miles.I have a half marathon best of 1hr 42min.But come marathon day i just blow up and not at the 20 mile mark but as early as 10 miles.The big day just gets to me i feel nervous and tense.My back gets sore and i end up cramping up.Ran London in 2004 it was the poorest run of my life coming home in 4hrs 40 odd.After all that training just to crash on the big day in the biggest race of my life.Mike i don't get tense or nervous running any other races why does this only happen on marathon days. HELP.
  • Thanks for answering Martyns question Caterpiller Girl - I agree with you.
  • Jim, Positive thinking is quite a difficult thing but at least you identify the problem. The problem with the marathon is that it becomes more of a focus than other races and puts you on unreasonable pressure.

You need some nervousness to run your best but if you put excessive pressure on yourself it has a negative effect.

There are lots of positive thinking techniques which seem obvious but may be worth going through the process. One is to break the race down into small sections and visualise where you want to be and how you want to be feeling at the point. Visualise the finish line and crossing the line feeling good in your target time.

I used to go through the positive thinking techniques in the last couple of runs before the marathon. In the Commonwealth Games in 82 I did 10 x 200m 4 days before the race and each one I crossed the line at the end of the track day dreaming about it being the finish line. Similarly, in the last couple of short jogs I would go through in my mind the possible scenerios and outcomes but making sure that the final thoughts were positive.
  • Thanks mike for the advice i well try my best as always i know i can do it.thanks again.
  • Hi Mike

I'm hearing different advice at my club about taking a sports drink along with water in the marathon. I realise the importance of keeping well hydrated from the first mile (and before it), but what's your advice on the isotonic drink?
    Should I take a few gulps with water at each of the stops or the sports drink only, after say, 16 miles?
    Many thanks, it's my third, and last London!
  • Hi Mike,

I have been following your Sub 3 London marathon program dilegently up to week 12 where I picked up an injury that saw me loose 2 weeks (Wks 13 and 14). I had been crosstraining during those 2weeks. Now mostly recovered I have been doing most of my recent runs on grass.. My phisio saw me this week and said I am fit to run no problem. I am just worried as to what target time I should aim for now.. I was previously aiming for 2.55. But now I am not sure how much the injury would have set me back. Do you think I could still make it in under 3 hours?

Cheers
    Edward D.
  • Hi Mike. Another question about race pace after recovering from injury (calf)!! I was originally on target for realistic 3:15 to 3:20 London Marathon time, but got injured on 18 March (after racing in Ruislip 20). I'm almost ok now, but have had quite a bit of time off during the past month. However, I have completed a steady 3 hr Long Run and a half marathon over past month, but have not done any speed or interval work since mid-March (have done a little threshold stuff but not much). What do you think my target time should be? How much impact will the lack of speed/interval/threshold sessions take?? My endurance side is fine for London Marathon, I'm just concerned about the pace side (what do studies say about lose of pace over a month?). Could I do 3:30 or should I just aim for 3:45 (treat it a bit like a training run!); then give it my best shot in next marathon. Would really appreciate some advice as I'm not sure what to do. Thank you......Darren
  • Joggin Jeff (and everyone else),

There are two needs a) keep hydrated, b) keep elctrolyte balance. Water will keep you hydrated but will result in change of electrolyte balance, sports drinks keep the elctrolyte balance and add a small amount of glucose, but can be a bit sickly.

You also have to consider how much fluid can be absorbed by the body during exercise. This is generally considered tp be about 500 to 750ml per hour and on a warm day will be less than you sweat out. It is considered normal to lose about 1 to 2% of body weight through sweating in a marathon without adverse effect - more than that and you will start to suffer lose of function.

From this you can see that a fast runner will take on board 1lt of fluid in the race, but a 4hr runner 2lts.

The advise is to drink a small bottle of water on the start line (30cl) then small amounts of both water and sports drink at drink stations on the way.

Too much water and a dramatic change in electrolyte balance can cause hyponutrimia - this results in swelling at the joints through water intoxication and, as I understand it, can cause swelling of the brain and death.

Much will depend on the weather on the day - it's not something I advise, but I didn't take a drink in the LM in 83 when I won - it was a cool wet day. However, in the very hot weather at the Manila Marathon in which I was second I drank a cup of water at each station and lost the lead to a Chinese runner in the last two miles when I got cramp - on that occasion it would have been better to drink some electroylte drink to prevent the cramp.

Get the balance right and you'll be fine, as most people do and are, as you will tend to be dictated to by thirst.

If it is hot at FLM you have to run more slowly and not think that you can run the same speed and prevent heat exhaustion or dehydration by drinking more en route - it doesn't work.

• ED, It sounds to me that you have kept good conditioning in the 2 weeks off and you won't have missed much. Why not go off at 2.57 pace as a compromise just in case and step it up towards the end if the fitness is there.
  • Darren, I don't see much point in doing a marathon as a training run, you might as well avoid the inevitable 2 weeks off recovering and continue to build up for other races later.

If your endurance base is still there there isn't any reason why you can't get close to your target - most of your performance is down to endurance base with the speed work adding the icing that gets you down to your best possible time. I would go out at something like your 3.30 target and again, if that is relatively easy you will be able to pick it up in the second half.
  • Great thanks for the advice! Mike
  • Thanks Mike - will go for 3:30 and see what happens
  • Hi Mike
    Just wanted to thank you for all the advice. I did do another 20m and following a week or so of feeling groggy with this viral thing, then started to feel better last week.
    I managed to keep the runs going and I have just done a last speed session over 3 miles and - touch wood - no twinges and all signs of cold and sore throat gone, I hope for good.

I am feeling calm (mostly!) and positive and excited about Sunday. And I'm going to enjoy this taper week now all the work is done.

Your advice to me and to others on this thread has helped me enormously - thank you.

and good luck to all the runners out there, make sure you have fun!
  • Dear Mike,
    I am hoping to beat my last time of 3.10 on April 22nd but like many others desperately want to avoid hitting the wall. I always prepare well for the event carbo load, take on glucose during etc, could it just be because I run the most of the race too fast then hit the wall at about 40km.Last time i completed 30km in 2hrs 10 then from 40km(at 2hrs59) till finish it took me 11mins! Is it down to pacing? I would appreciate any advice before the big daY.Thanks.
    Sarah Kingston
  • Hi Mike, according to my schedule i still have one speed session, 1 x 4mile slow run and a 2 slow miles on saturday left to do but is this right as im hearing from fellow runners that they arent doing any speed work this week. Im a fairly novice runner on my 2nd marathon and have been following the sub 4hr.
    Any advice would be welcomed.
    Dawn
  • Hi Sarah, If you have carbo loaded and hydrate well and you still hit the wall it is almost certainly due to running too fast at the start. You burn glycogen more quickly the fast you go. You only have a store of about 1500/1600cals of glucose energy stored and at a rate of 90 to 100cals a mile if running fast you will hit the wall at 18 to 20 miles. If you run just a little slower you will use less glycogen and more fat for energy and will therefore be able to run on glycogen - the more efficient energy source - for longer (hopefully if you get it right, to the end). Once you have used up the glycogen you are on fat and eventually protein as energy sources, these are not the bodies prefered source of energy so you will be forced to dramatically slow.

Top up with sports drinks and gels on the way as well - they won't prevent you hitting the wall if you go out too fast, but are some insurance.
  • Hi Dawn, I'm a believer that some short and sharp running in the last week keeps the muscles conditioned and blood supply active without using up much energy. It also lets you go into the race on a psychological high knowing that your legs still work!