Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• right!
    after a couple of weeks of long/slow stuff, I did 3x2k yesterday
    I knew I wouldn't be able to manage 5k type speed, so aimed more for 10k PB type pace (4:54mins/km in my case)
    managed: 4:52,4:53, 4:48,4:49, 4:48,4:44, so quite pleased
    there's a 10k race on 15th April (Whitley) which I might do... image
    also, Saturday 28th April is looking possible for a nice flat 5k parkrun (Platt Fields)... image

Ockham - are you still on for your Good Friday 5M?

• Hi Daz,

yes still on for the Sudbury 5 miler. Hoping for a time of 34 mins, with only two days of training per week. Friday training is 5km of 4:20min/km with 3km easy, Sunday around 14km at 5:30min/km . Pb of last year was 34:42. Have entered Colchester 10km and a few of the Clacton 5km series runs

• Disappointed with the time. Three seconds slower than last year. 35:11 and nowhere near 34 mins, but I did manage to overtake my son who had a leg problem at the 2 mile mark. Still he put in an extra effort and eventually beat me by 15 seconds.
  • did another 3x2k sesh yesterday, practicing 10k-type pace, averaged 4:44/km off short (90sec) recovery
    ran through the last one imagining another 4k to go, and felt OK
    so thinking I will do Whitley 10k race on Sunday... image
    current PB is 49:00, so should be able to shave something off that

• Ockham - your positive vibes helped me to a 20 second PB at Whitley 10k image

undulating course, so splits all over the shop, but just for the record:
    old PB = 49:00, hoping for sub-48, so aimed for 4:45/km, which would be 47:30, but knowing that I'd drop around 30 secs on the most uphill km (the 8th):

4:52 - 11 secs to cross the start line, so 4:41 really image
    4:59 - bit uphill
    4:43
    4:44 - this is the stuff!
    4:25 - wheeeee! (downhill km)
    5:06 - only blot on the copybook - think I relaxed too much
    4:48 - pulled myself together on a relatively tough km
    5:30 - there goes that uphill one!
    4:58 - bit disappointing, knew I had to go under 4:55 for a sub-49
    4:35 - wahey!
    48:40 gun time (48:29 from when I crossed the start line)

• Well done Daz image. I have mine next month. Hoping for a pb, but after Sudbury will take it as it comes.
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

surprisingly good 4x1k sesh earlier this week
    averaged 4:20ish (compared to 5k PB pace of 4:22)

got loads of long/slow/hilly races coming up though, so can't really concentrate on flat speed atm...

• Brilliant day for the Colchester 10km. Aimed for under 45 minutes and quess what, the race when well. No one overtook me. Usually runner sprint pass me in the last k, not this time.

4:33

4:27

4:29

4:29

4:23

4:22

4:24

4:34 Up hill and the into the wind

4:31 Into the wind

3:46 split time (think short k) pace 4:10

For an unofficial time of 44:04 NEW PB by 28 seconds.

That's FANTASTIC Ockham! image
    very jealous of those consistent splits
    sub-44 next image

I might do a 5-Mile race towards the end of this month, not 100% sure yet...

• Thanks Daz. Not sure if I will do another 10k this year.

Have my first 5k race next week. As I have not been training that much this year will try for sub 24 mins.

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭

Bad news, You hadn't got rid of me forever!!!!!

Had an eventful start to 2012, plantar faciitus stopped me improving at the back end of 2011 so I stopped in December to treat it and then shortly after was told that the herniagram I had in October was wrong and I did have a hernia. So at the start of April I finally had my hernia operation which repaired three separate hernias!!!!!!!!

Tuesday was my first proper run of 2012 and to be honest it was hideous, slow and really hard work. Just over 5K in 24.22 so a slow build up of training again for me and I might be ready for 2013 image

• Can I join in here please? I recently ran 25.30 in a 5k at the end of a sprint triathlon then 50.52 in a 10K a couple of weeks later. Both of those are PBs. My main focus is longer distances but I'm still aiming to go sub 25/sub 50 this year. Not far off it now but keep picking up minor injuries which doesn't help...

• All are welcome run-with-dogs.

If you are new to running and getting injuries, you need to ease off the training. When you start you want to run five maybe 7 times a week, even with slight injuries. I'm doing roughly three runs a week. This week only one 14k run.

• Thanks Ockham but I've actually been running for over 10 years now. Did my first half in 2005 and my first full marathon in 2008. Just thought I'd start paying more attention to the shorter distances as well as the long ones this year. Never been one for running every day, most I ever do is four runs a week. Tore a calf muscle in 2006 and had a shoulder op in 2009, both still causing bother every now and then, hence all the minor niggles...

Welcome runs-with-dogs! image

are you doing any speed work, intervals or the like?

• Ugh. Yes. I joined a local club for the first time at the start of the year and they make me do all sorts of horrible things I'd never do on my own - I've always been a slow and steady (ahem, and lazy) kind of runner. My Monday evenings are now taken up with brutal interval sessions that make me want to vomit and cry all at the same time.But I won't complain too much as I'm definitely getting faster...

Thanks for the welcome Daz image

• Sub 24 mins was a bit easy yesterday.

Small friendly group of runners, think about 35 for this inaugural race. Ran along the sea front to see how breezy it was. Decide to run 4.5 min/km pace as it is bloody windy. 2.5km into the wind and assisted on the return.

Splits

1st 4min 22s Wow, and into the wind

2nd 4min 36s Feeling it now

3rd 4min 28s Struggled to the half way point

4th 4min 17 Yippee wind assisted

5th 4min 10s Went well

Unofficial time 21:53

• Time is correct and I came 10th,

wait for it

out of 25.image

Ockham - Well Done on the sub-22 image

I'm right in the middle of lots of long/slow hilly stuff atm
    - managed 4x1k on Wednesday and averaged low 4:30's, compared to low 4:20's a couple of weeks ago image

I've got monster races lined up for this weekend (Ennerdale Horseshoe) and next (Welsh 1000m Peaks), but might be able to concentrate more on shorter/faster/flatter stuff after that... image

• JamesBJamesB ✭✭✭

New challenge tommorow morning !

Going to try my first 5k parkrun.

Have a 10k PB of 52:38, and HM of 2:00:14 (Only done 2 races :P), so time to add a 5k to my set of PBs.

• JamesBJamesB ✭✭✭

Finished 72nd, just ahead of one of the U14 (I think) runners. Never manage to stop my watch on the line, so unsure of my time till it goes up on the official results page image

Also got my HR to a new max of 192, so maybe my true max is 195 or so (Not tested it properly yet)

Think it was quite good tho !

22:53 so pleased with that for virgo intacto 5k. (10k = 52:38, HM = 2:00:14 other new pbs.)

• Hello those of you who have been here long enough to remember me (and to those who haven't)! Finally feel like I'm getting back to where I should be. Ran a parkrun (5k) pb a few weeks ago of 20.35 and managed 20.51 yesterday. Also came 5th (out of 64) in a 5 mile race on Wednesday in 34.42!!!!!!!!!!!! image Even more Mr. A. Mazing because I ran 9 miles on the downs in the morning. Good to see everyone is still at it and improving. I've started a http://imfithove.wordpress.com/ of my exploits so if anyone is interested please have a look. Even those who aren't interested please have a look!

• That link should say blog! I'm trying to get to grips with modern technology and failing.

Which parkrun is that James? I do the Brighton & Hove one. Around 400 people each week now. Getting too big for the park really.

I'm doing Bewl 15 miles next Sunday. Why? Daz knows I'm a track girl at heart! Have begun doing "Wales Wednesday" which means running twice on Wednesdays. It is so named as I went on a running holiday with 9 of the Arena (80 AC - my running club) crew where we ran 10 miles each morning and 5 in the evening. It certainly seems to be working as I am getting back down to pb shape (I have finally accepted more running = faster running). Track session tomorrow. Like run-with-dogs this session makes me want to cry and be sick but I love it and must persevere as I want to get better.

JamesB - Congrats on the sub-23 image that's a great start!

Ostrich - Welcome Back! image
    your blog looks good - particularly like the pic of running shoes - but if I did all mine, you'd need two widescreen monitors to fit them all on!
    sounds like it will not be long til you go sub-20 image

I have been shamefully overlooking speedy stuff in favour of my beloved hills
    I might be doing a 5-Mile race on Wednesday evening, but even that's a bit undulating/traily so not really a PB course
    the Sale Sizzler 5k series is fast approaching, and I think I might force myself to do one, even though I know I won't PB, just to see exactly how slow I am atm image

• Hi hope its ok to join in.  I started doing  parkruns in early March and find them very addictive.  I started off with a time of 23.35 and have got that down to 21.53 though the rate of improvement has slowed down somewhat recently.

My local parkrun course (Banstead) is not the fastest due to a horrible hill at the halfway point.  I'm taking part in 5k London City race in a few weeks. Hoping for a quicker time as all  on road and pretty flat.

Would love to go sub 20 at some point though I am getting on a bit (45).

• Hi all, and Daz and welcome Geoff!

Daz - That is nowhere near all my shoes but I couldn't stand high enough with my camera to get any more into the shot! The one on the blog was me standing on the coffee table being stared at bemusedly by the cat image I did toy with the idea of lying my shoes out on the pavement and taking the photo from my living room window (I live on the first floor) but feared being carted off to the loony bin.

B&H parkrun isn't very flat either alas. Maybe to get a pb I need to go flat but I will only really count it as a pb if done at B&H parkrun as I've done 125 there (and none anywhere else image). My friend's flat 5k pb is 30 seconds faster than her B&H one so if I get sub 20 there I will be extra pleased!

Did a good track session on Monday. Someone else took it so made a change. Have a look at my blog for details (sorry, can't be bothered to type it out twice image).

http://imfithove.wordpress.com/

• Good to hear you are all well on the forum. I'm slowly making my way back with short runs!!

• EwanGibb87EwanGibb87 ✭✭✭

Been getting back out to ParkRun the last month and am off again tomorrow. PB at Bradford is 20:52 and my last two efforts have been frustratingly close (20:58 and 20:55). Last Saturday's run was made all the more irritating because I was well set for a sub-20:50 but pushed too hard on the last little bit of hill and ended up being sick on the 'back-straight'!

To those who also do a more difficult ParkRun - try to get yourself to a flatter one once in a while. My one effort at Hyde Park (Leeds) last December was 20:32 and my two 5k-splits at Bradford 10k were 20:44 and 20:43. Shows how tricky a bit of hill-work can be.

Geoff - work hard and a sub-20 is always a possibility. Don't feel like your age will hold you back - just take a look at some ParkRun results to see the number of VM40+ runners that go well under twenty minutes.

• Forgot I have the second Clacton 5k race tonight, drat have not trained since last one.

Ah well, see if I can do it in around 22 minutes.