Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options

Good luck Daz.  Your parkrun sound similar to the one I'm planning on doing tomorrow (Nonsuch Park) - a two lap course which is pretty flat but roughly half on grass and half on path.  Set a parkrun PB here 3 weeks ago (21.01) but that was in dry conditions. 

Last week it peed with rain overnight prior to the parkrun and the course was horrid. Has rained a bit this week but not much and prtty dry tonight so fingers crossed a sun 21 mins here is possible.

Good luck for Sunday Ewan & AG good luck with the parkrun.    

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello

Geoff well done. I was at Hyde Park too I used to do it  a lot though nowdays less so Managed September a bit slower than you 25:44 which was a seasons best Funnily enough i didn't find the incline  that bad but i now theres been months when i did. I think regular  runing on hills, can't escape them has helped me

The 1st Soutend parkrun tomorrow

Daz 5km ooh how exciting

• Options

Hi Pammie, the last 400m of the Hyde Park 5K did seem like hard work though overall one of the fastest 5K I've done and really enjoyed it. Was hoping to do the October race but can't make it due to work commitments (I live in Surrey near the M25 so involves taking the day off) but have already booked off the last Friday in November so planning to do this one.  Let me know if your planning on doing Hyde Park again and I will say hello if I'm there.

I'm fortunate that I've got 3 parkruns close to where I live two of which are flattish courses with mostly good PB potential though times  can take a tumble following heavy rain as both have significant sections on grass.

Managed 21.21 today (20 secs off my parkrun PB of 21.01 set 3 weeks ago) but not too unhappy as course was hard going in places with plenty of puddles and slippery mud today whereas perfect a few weeks back.  The finish was exiting as had a good sprint to the line with a young guy and a lady who has been first women in the past.  All 3 of us credited with 21.21 with me 2nd just ahead of the lady (Andrea) and there was another couple of guys who finished on 21.20 so finishing funnel was a bit congested!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hi Geoff

i'm planning on making it to the November one - work nights so Octobers not possible Well done today thats a great time

Surprised myself today would have been happy anything near 25 minutes but fiished in 24:40 (24:47 officially) at the southend inaugural parkrun  Next time will position myself closer to front but there was 123 runners today a bit congested at the start  but well happy as previous seasons best was the hyde park one at 25:44

• Options

Pammie* - Congrats on your SB! image

I had trouble going any quicker than my recently practiced 8min/M, but just about upheld the good name of the thread by clocking 24:33
    even allowing for the soggy underfoot conditions this is a good 2mins slower than my PB - so I really need to knuckle down to a bit of speedwork image

• Options
    Good times Geoff, Pammie and Daz, well done

I did my first Parkrun yesterday and got a 26:33, which I'm fairly pleased with as I was expecting somewhere between 27 and 28, so as Daz said I've laid down a marker image
  • Options

Well done Pammie on the SB.  Is Southend a quick course?  Maybe see you at the November 5K Hyde Park race.  Look out for an unremarbable bloke in his 40's abou 5'' 10 and most likely wearing a distinctive pair of orange/amber shoes. 

Well done Daz and AG on your recent parkruns.  I'd happily put money on all 3 of your bettering your times next time out. Happy running!    

• Options

thanks for the vote of confidence Geoff image i'm off the hook this weekend as I'm away in greece for a long weekend, but the week after I'll be out there again showing Brockwell Park who's the boss (well, showing it who's able to run marginally quicker than a 26 and a half min 5k)

• Options

after only managing 4:55/km at last week's parkrun, at lunchtime I did 3x2k, and averaged about 4:40-4:45 - need to keep putting in a few 2k or 1k reps... in amongst my 10M training... and my fell-race training... and my ultra training... image

• Options

Well done Daz.  Hopefully the reps will see you better your previous parkrun time next time out. When are you planning another parkrun?

Had another go at my local parkrun today. Time not brilliant (21.27) but pretty tough conditions todayi e lots of puddles and mud. Only one runner broke 19 mins today (18.50) whereas in September the guys at the front were well under 18 mins.  Pleased to finish 18th overall and 3rd in my age group both of which are PB's.

Fingers crossed for a drier week next week.

• Options

I've got fell races this weekend and next, but might manage another parkrun on 10th Nov...

meanwhile...
    4x2M last night:
    7:45,8:00; 8:03,8:02; 8:05,8:11; 8:11,8:16
    (3mins rest recovery between reps)
    struggled to hold down to 8min/Miling in the latter stages, but I've got a bit of a cold atm so that might've had an effect

still think I can go sub-80 at the Preston 10M on 18th Nov... image

• Options

9 more tempo miles today:
    8:25,8:35 (couple of "reminding myself what I'm supposed to be doing" miles), 3min rest
    7:55,8:20,8:05, 4min rest
    8:20,8:15, 4min rest
    8:10,7:50 (quite pleased with these last two)

still struggling to hold down to sub-8, but still got bit of a virus , so hopefully I'm better than this "underneath"
    if I can shift the virus over the next 2 weeks I should be flying come race day! image

• Options

Well done Daz. As you say you should be much quicker minus the virus. Are you still planning on doing a parkrun on 10 November?

No parkrun for me tomorrow as saving my legs for a 10K on Sunday morning. I'm hoping its not as cold as it was for last Saturday's parkrun. 2C with significant wind chill!

• Options

Hi everyone, hope it's ok if I join in image

I started running at the beginning of this year, never done any running before.  I love it!  My furthest run has been 10 miles but I am slow.

Just started doing the Parkruns as one has started up in my area, so have done a couple of them now.  My PB is 25.14, so hoping to improve on that eventually.

Going tomorrow morning but not sure if I will beat my PB though!

• Options

Welcome iluvsaffies.

Good luck with your parkrun tomorrow. This time last year my 5K times were around 24.30 but now done to just under 21 mins (my goal is to go sub 20 mins).

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll see your times tumble. Parkruns are very addictive!

• Options

Thanks!  I don't have a clue about speed work.  I have read a lot of stuff but I find it a bit confusing.

Will let you know how I get on today image

• Options

Well didn't do too well today.  Time was 26.27!  Aaarggh.  Had a really bad run.  It was wet and slippery today, excuses, excuses.....

Hopefully might do better next week.  I was the second female runner in the Parkrun today though.

• Options

Ils, well done on being 2nd female runner. Where is your local parkrun?

I think when its wet and muddy its best not to get to hung about your time. Instead look at the position you finish.

I managed 4 5K PB's in September but that was a mostly dry month and I felt capable of getting quicker each week. Since October its been mostly wet and at the moment I'm happy if I can get within 20 secs of my PB as the gound is now very wet and slippery at my 2 local parkrun venues.

Did a 10K today horrible conditions. Pi$$ed down during the race and had been raining heavily overnight. As a result loads of puddles! Nearly fell over a couple of times early in the race so decided not to get too stressed about my time which was around 48 mins (my best 5K time of around 20.50 equates to a 10K of 43.16 according to one online calculator so some way off today). Have another couple of 10K races before Xmas so hoping for better conditions and a more respectable time. 

• Options

My nearest Parkrun is in Mansfield.

Those times are brilliant!  I can only dream of such times for a 10K. 

It's now really cold here and has been frosty in the mornings, which is worse than rain for slipping lol, so hopefully it might get a little milder for the weekend.

Just ordered myself a Garmin Forerunner 10.  Just been using an app on my phone but I have always had my eye on Garmins and this paticular model looks just what I need.  Nice and simple to use and waterproof!  I get annoyed with using my phone and the app never seems to tell my current running pace so am looking forward to be able to see that.

• Options

Hiya

ils welcome

Geoff sorry  for late response Southend would say is a quick course on a calm day give it wind and rain  not so. 3 laps  but i don't mind laps  but each lap is a little run across grass not far  but will slow you down in the wet. i love it

Entered lfotm november  now so will be there. Looking to see i i can do all 12 next year  like i once did. 6 i can doesn't interfere with work the other 6 mmmm can do some  with holiday time but obv not all of them

• Options

Thanks Ils. Good luck with your new Garmin. Keep us posted on your parkrun times. Plenty of people here who can advise you on how best to reduce your 5K time. 18 months ago I was running similar times to what your doing and I'm getting on a bit now so big improvements can to be made.

Hi Pammie, I've entered the lfotm 5K in November and hoping to beat my time from September though it seems that they have had to change the course due to a winter fair from end of Nov to Jan. Hope its as quick as the regular one.  Think I've a better chance of a PB here as while both of the parkruns I do are pretty flat both are 2 lap courses with a decent chunk on grass which has been hard going with all the rain.

Won;t be able to make the Dec one as away for a few days after Xmas but will try and do a few next year when I can get the day off.

• Options

iluvstaffies - Welcome! image
    how exciting - a new soon-to-be sub-25-er for the thread image

a good session for improving would be four kilometre repetitions
    i.e. measure out an accurate kilometre somewhere then run up and down it!
    since your current 5k PB is about 25 mins, that's 5mins per km
    so try running a kilometre in say 4:50-4:40...
    then have a bit of a rest (say about 3 mins)
    then run another quick km...
    then rest...
    then - well, you get the idea!

do one of these sessions once a week
    then when you find you can do 4 in 4:40 with no probs, try either:
    more reps (5 or 6)
    go quicker (4:35-4:30)
    less recovery (2:30 or 2mins)
    some combination of the above

hope this helps

• Options

and by curious coincidence
    yesterday lunchtime I actually did 4x1k (for the first time since July image ):
    4:15  (2:30 rest/recovery)
    4:23  (2:45 r/r)
    4:18  (3min r/r)
    4:25

I'm going to do Wythenshawe parkrun on Saturday
    I should go a bit quicker than the 24:33 I ran 4 weeks ago (4:55/km)
    but I'll be surprised if I get anywhere near my PB of 21:51 (4:22/km)

• Options

Going to do the Parkrun again tomorrow so will see how I get on.  Am not so young myself either I suppose at 36 image

Thanks for the advice DazTheSlug, will definitely be trying that out.  Would love to be a sub 25'er lol.  Good luck with your Parkrun tomorrow too.

• Options

Good luck Daz & Ils tomorrow. I shall most likley be parkrunning tomorrow at my now regular venue (Nonsuch Park) unless we get the sort of rain we had last Sunday during a local 10K event. Horrid!

I did a reps session eaerlier this week similar to the one receommended by Daz above and a longish run (8.5 miles) on Wednesday and felt pretty good both days.  Has hardly rained at all around here since the deluge last Sunday so a PB definately on tomorrow. Some light rain forecast overnight but hopefully won't screw up tomorrows parkrun too much.

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow Geoff. Go get that PB! Am keeping my fingers crossed for dry weather too.
  • Options

Good conditions for my local Parkrun today, the ground was wet and a bit muddy in places but apart from that it was good.  Got a time of 25:37.  Not a PB but still my second best time to date, so I am happy with that!  At least I'm not getting worse.

Tested the new Garmin out for the first time and I love it.  Very pleased with it.

Hope everyone else got on ok today.

• Options

Well done ils. Conditions at my parkrun were not great as the light rain we were promised in the early hours of Saturday morning was somewhat heavier. The parkrun event director warned of slippery conditions and lots of puddles so no PB to today. My time of 21.57 is nearly 1 minute off my parkrun PB set in September (in perfect conditions).

I seem to bring the rain with me wherever I run the moment. Will probably not be doing a parkrun next week as doing a 10K on Sunday morning. Fingers crossed it wont be raining! 

Good to hear you like the new Garmin. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I'm very happy with but will be upgrading soon.

• Options

Hi all. Love to join this thread as I haven't managed sub 25 since 2008 when I managed 24:20. This feat was entirely down to my daughter's cajoling and training regime for a 10 mile race later on. It definitely seems to do with getting good interval training under your belt., I started running regularly in 2005 after a Race for Life 5K when I was 50. Since then I found my local parkrun atnd am now addicted. Have built my distance up over the years to do the VLM this year. Would love to get back to the early days and go SUB 25 again!

• Options

Welcome Becky. Good luck with your sub 25 min 5K target. I'm sure you'll get there with the right training.

Agree parkruns are addictive. I did my first one in March this year and am now up to 32!